Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2011, 11:33 PM

171 posts, read 420,824 times

Advertisements

We're in a new house (as in new construction), and I'm wanting to plug my Vonage line into the house phone circuit, but not into anything going to the street. Normally, you unplug the external link at the phone box on the exterior of the house.

The house has a Suttle SOHO punchdown panel with four internal phone lines going into an external line, but there is no phone box on the exterior of the house. Does the 'external' line just get coiled up somewhere, or is there some kind of assumption that it will go into the cable/DSL line?

Short question: Do I need to pull the punched down cable, or will that kill my internal phone network?

Thanks for any advice,

Woody
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2011, 09:09 AM

2,392 posts, read 9,617,758 times
Buy a high end wireless phone system( with many phones) and plug one into the Vonage and there you go. Other was the phones in new houses run off of the CAT 5 connections that are in the home. However we did the wireless with the OOMA phone system and left the cat5 for cable/xbox360 and the like. Good luck

Old 04-16-2011, 09:18 PM

Thanks for the reply. I have a Uniden DECT 6.0 system (wireless), and would like the central phone in the kitchen, using the wiring to get it there. I put in a wireless drop in the only place I really need one - from my office to the den - so the CAT 5 'network' is unused.

I just didn't want to plug my Vonage adapter into anything that already has voltage, and burn either out.

Old 04-16-2011, 10:08 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,511,430 times
look inside a closet--
our phone lines comes into our old house into box inside master closet

at our new house in different town it comes in upstairs inside a secondary closet

Old 04-17-2011, 09:27 AM

102 posts, read 307,155 times
Not sure if this helps, but my phone jacks were all connected with ethernet cable. I simply changed the jacks from phone jacks to ethernet jacks. I pulled the other ends of the cables from the punchdown block and put ethernet jacks on the end, and ran these directly into my router (Uverse). Nothing (except a grounding wire) is plugged into my punchdown block.

Now I have wired ethernet jacks throughout my house that all connect into my router. I put my phone's base station (along with VoIP adapter) in my master bedroom, and expansion handsets in my other rooms. You could probably do something similar, except put your Vonage adapter in the kitchen.

Old 04-17-2011, 08:31 PM

The phone jacks are all CAT 5e, but I have no need for room-to-room ethernet, only my office and the den (media room, etc), and there's already a connection there.

I'm just curious if plugging my Motorola 1005 adapter into a 'live' circuit will destroy something. Or if I need to pull the uplink punchdowns before doing so. Or if pulling the punchdown will destroy the network...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin