Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 04:23 PM

185 posts, read 350,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobert View Post
I would love to see Austin turn into a dense urban core (on the level of NYC) served by light rail, and surrounded by urban parkland.

Does anyone here prefer the alternative? Honestly.
The second best alternative is a Paris-like density of multistory mixed-used buildings spanning for miles, with the occasional commercial tower.
I'd prefer that over massive residential towers or endless suburban sprawl.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2011, 05:13 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,902,608 times
Quote:
When completed, this new project will be the tallest residential building west of the Mississippi. Previous record holder? - The Austonian who took the title from... the 360 Tower just a few blocks away.

The city is selling lifestyle, and in a big way.
Yeah. That's what we're doing... only in a smaller, slower way.

And I meant "son of a b*tch", btw.

Old 04-18-2011, 05:37 PM

629 posts, read 1,653,392 times
Parking garage is good since downtown is lacking in that area. However, it will just contribute to the auto congestion in and out of downtown.

Tower? Ehhhhhh. I guess as long as it's mixed use. Downtown seems to be heavy on residential. I know commercial real estate is down right now, but we need to attract more businesses downtown instead of scattered around the outskirts of town.

It concerns me that there's all this building development with little or no transportation infrastructure improvements being planned in tandem.

And what about renderings? Obviously aesthetics will count for a lot.

Old 04-18-2011, 05:48 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,051,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlobalistPotato View Post
I'd prefer that over massive residential towers
Yes, we certainly don't want to end up like Miami (overdeveloped on residential towers.) We have no beautiful beachfront like them, and no world-class amenities such as NYC or San Francisco that supports their large-scale residential in downtown (besides the fact the cost of land being so high in those places as to make it necessary to only build up.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesonofgray View Post
It concerns me that there's all this building development with little or no transportation infrastructure improvements being planned in tandem.
You're not the only one concerned about that.

Old 04-18-2011, 07:34 PM

522 posts, read 657,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesonofgray View Post
Mmmmm...not entirely true. Both Urban Rail and the Lone Star Rail projects are in the planning phases right now.

Old 04-18-2011, 09:25 PM

171 posts, read 422,739 times
Sounds like Austin's on track to double the downtown population.

I have serious doubts that downtown will retain much of its charm with that many people. Some cities can do it, but I don't think Austin is one of them. (Most of the high-density urban centers have geography as a cause; we don't.)

Old 04-18-2011, 10:03 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,094,749 times
Quote:
The second best alternative is a Paris-like density of multistory mixed-used buildings spanning for miles, with the occasional commercial tower.
I'd prefer that over massive residential towers or endless suburban sprawl.

That would be LOVELY. I'm a city girl, and I've been struggling in Austin. Looking forward to the changes.

Old 04-19-2011, 08:03 AM

3,202 posts, read 6,019,316 times
Quote:
That would be nice. We could start referring to 78704 as the "Left Bank".

Old 04-19-2011, 08:31 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,550,348 times
Quote:
That would be nice. We could start referring to 78704 as the "Left Bank".
Reminds me of the position I played in Little League..."Left Out"

Old 04-19-2011, 10:11 AM

1,445 posts, read 3,267,869 times
Hmm, interesting, but not really surprising. Love the COA's focus! What about infastructure improvements outside the central and downtown areas?? Where are those articles?? Hmmm......

Quote:
according to the ABJ:

Two new mixed-use towers, garage planned downtown | Austin Business Journal

Developers have secured funding to move forward with two new towers, one of which (at 800ft+) will dwarf the Austonian (at 683 ft). The budget is approximately $500MM and ground-breaking is slated for 2012.

Thoughts and feelings about this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin