Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 03:11 PM

732 posts, read 2,126,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciscotree View Post
i have read a lot about the area and people say its a bad area. the only thing is, being there, i didn't feel threatened. people were washing cars, there wasn't trash all over the place, the homes were kept up, the lawns were cut.
My gf lives in this area so I am there a few days a week. As far as safety goes the chances are very slim you will be killed unless you engage in gang activity. Chances are much higher you will be a victim of property crime. As far as dealing with other people 95% of the shady people are just drunks that may try to engage in conversation with you. Just hit them with some water from a hose.

Honestly, I think you must have been on acid when you were there because it is the worst area sans I35 itself for garbage. I will pick up all the trash in the yard to mow the lawn and two days later nearly as much garbage has blown or been thrown in the yard.

I do think that if Austin continues to grow as a hip city that after the hipsters have gentrified east Austin completely they will start moving farther north so I think it may get better in 5-10 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2011, 08:47 PM

40 posts, read 65,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinking View Post
My gf lives in this area so I am there a few days a week. As far as safety goes the chances are very slim you will be killed unless you engage in gang activity. Chances are much higher you will be a victim of property crime. As far as dealing with other people 95% of the shady people are just drunks that may try to engage in conversation with you. Just hit them with some water from a hose.

Honestly, I think you must have been on acid when you were there because it is the worst area sans I35 itself for garbage. I will pick up all the trash in the yard to mow the lawn and two days later nearly as much garbage has blown or been thrown in the yard.

I do think that if Austin continues to grow as a hip city that after the hipsters have gentrified east Austin completely they will start moving farther north so I think it may get better in 5-10 years.
Seriously?

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...180.49,,0,3.86

That's the location I'm looking at. Does that look like a bad neighborhood? I mean, it looks clean to me but I'm coming from the RGV so I've seen worse..

Old 04-24-2011, 08:48 PM

Thanks everyone for their replies. I am still unsure how I am going to move forward with this property

Old 04-24-2011, 09:02 PM

732 posts, read 2,126,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciscotree View Post
Seriously?

10300 Georgian Drive, Austin, TX - Google Maps

That's the location I'm looking at. Does that look like a bad neighborhood? I mean, it looks clean to me but I'm coming from the RGV so I've seen worse..
Actually, I did not realize those bits of Georgian existed north of Rundberg but not connected to Rundberg so I cannot comment. My gf says it is about the same. I think the area most people are familiar with when you say Georgian is the street that goes from Rundberg to 183.

Old 04-24-2011, 09:02 PM

171 posts, read 422,793 times
That doesn't look too bad, but check a few blocks in other directions, too.

Old 04-24-2011, 09:32 PM

woody, yes i saw brownie street. looking at it, it looked very sketchy. it ended at that street. after the drainage ditch, it was clean and we drove through most of the neighborhood.

but in all seriousness, even brownie street doesn't look too bad. looks like the valley to me :-D

i think we are going to take a 6 month lease and buy the security services and test it out.

Old 04-29-2011, 12:08 PM

580 posts, read 1,081,744 times
I actually used to live on Georgian Drive, although that was a good decade ago. I remember it not being a bad area, I mean it wasn't upperclass but it also wasn't the ghetto. On the other hand, I do remember a lot of riff-raff coming through that area from other parts that were worse. I remember a lot of cop cars on our street, and I think there was one drive-by, but just one that I recall. There was this car club just down the street from my house, and one time this car rolled by and fired a few shots at the vehicles in the driveway. Another time I actually walked home to police officers pulling this kid out from under our porch. Apparently he had stolen something and was hiding out under there. But even those were fairly isolated incidents. It really is not a bad area overall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: