Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2007, 10:56 AM

1 posts, read 6,397 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am moving to the Trace Condominiums at Crossing Place 78741 in a few weeks as a new UT student. Can someone tell me about the neighborhood?

Specifically, do I need a car to get to the grocery stores? How "walkable" is the area? Are there streets for pedestrians or is it just roads full of cars?

I am coming from wayyy up northeast so bringing a car or driving down is going to be BIG hassle and headache I'd like to avoid if possible.

Any advice? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2007, 01:57 PM

443 posts, read 1,541,461 times
I looked at a house over here... keep in mind there is a great deal of crime on riverside and the surrounding apartments. Stick to the neighborhoods if you can.

Old 08-01-2007, 02:14 PM

7 posts, read 80,882 times
I have lived down the street from there for a year and am chomping at the bit to move out. And yes, you will need a car for everything basically. one of the only bright spots of that particular complex is the UT shuttle and 'entertainment' bus (takes people downtown in the fall/winter/spring) stop directly out front.

Old 08-02-2007, 07:30 AM

25 posts, read 125,726 times
Unfortunately, Austin is not a "walking city" and you need a car for most things. There are shops and grocery store along Riverside Drive, but this is not a walking friendly area. There is a lot of traffic along that road and the crime rate in this area is high. The UT shuttle is a big plus. Be careful and good luck.

Old 12-31-2008, 10:05 PM

2 posts, read 12,684 times
I have friends who've lived at that complex and close to (some still do). It works ok if you're a student without a car. The HEB grocery is just a block away, there's a Korean store on Arena+Pleasant Valley, There's a good Indian Buffet behind the blockbuster and a dollar store and a scad of pizza places within 4 blocks. There are UT shuttles that pick up pretty frequently. The E bus will drop you off right close to there. That part of Austin was developed recently and was the first of the very innovative room-share student apartments EVER in the 90's. Because newer room-share 8-floor condos have opened up close to campus (for a higher rent) this area has gone through a lot of changes. They'll allow anyone to move in there provided that the individual is approved of by the rest of the roommies. That has translated to a lot of young, small-town thug-types coming to the capital to make a living who bring their mindsets with them. It seems the murders (that's right, murders) shootings and fights and robberies were over kids playing drug-dealer who seem to want the prestige of jail-time or bullet injuries. That sounds wrong and bitter, I know, but I've talked to some of the people involved and that's what I understand and I don't get it. Anyhow, they tend to keep it among themselves so keep niceties at a hand wave.

However, if you can, move to the townlake condos on pleasant valley and lakeshore. You MUST be a student to live there, They place is really gated and guarded and they have more better amenities plus, simply by only being a few blocks closer to the center, the bus routes are better and you shouldn't have to walk through potentially high-crime or high-traffic/pedestrian-unfriendly areas. You'll be closer to the lake and the hostil. and still close to the grocery store.

loc: Riverside Drive at Crossing Place Austin TX US - Google Maps

Austin is a walking city provided that you live off campus, downtown or Lamar. Areas north, south and west of there can HARDLY be considered Austin . It defenitley not as trafficky as Dallas or Huston. those cities are highway-gridlock-forget-about-walking-there nightmares. They have busstops there but buses never go by. By comparison Austin has a very sufficient bus system and it is projected to get bigger as the city grows. We're even getting light-rail train soon. And I can't wait! The buses and train transport your bike so you could bike and pedal. OK. So Having a car is NOT nescessary, but it helps. You may not drive it a lot but it could get you out of a bind, like what if you need to go to sanmarcos or west of mopac?

All Systems Go Long-Range Transit Plan - CapMetro

Last edited by aliceinregularland; 12-31-2008 at 10:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin