Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2012, 09:37 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times

Advertisements

There's an amazing variety of food available at Fiesta. It's where I go when I just can't find that ingredient that a recipe from somewhere else (Morocco, India, Argentina, etc., etc., etc.) calls for (and I get it cheap because some folks that shop there consider it a staple!), and I pick up some Arrowhead Mills peanut butter and really nice jellies at the same time. Cleaning supplies I get elsewhere (or make myself, depending on how I'm feeling and how serious the job is ).

So, yes, I can see if the store is four times as big, that would make a significant difference in the experience. But I can pop in and out of Fiesta in no time if I'm in a hurry (as long as I make sure not to go down the wrong aisle and get caught up in all the nummy things I just can't live without even though I never knew they existed until I walked down that aisle!).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2012, 11:55 AM

390 posts, read 670,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Ok, so it sounds like there are some good deals on prepackaged/convenience foods? I guess if that's what you buy, it's a good deal.

I did buy convenience foods at TJ's, but I also bought pretty much all my (mostly organic) produce (we're vegetarians and eat a lot of fruits and veggies), tofu, tempeh, milk, half and half, yogurt, kefir, cottage cheese, yummy cheeses, pasta, rice, couscous, beans, maple syrup, sugar, flour, coffee, frozen organic veggies, nuts, and raisins. All the dairy was hormone and antibiotic free before most local chains jumped on that bandwagon. I believe it is the same with the meats.

The only thing that I really don't care for at TJ's is their bread.

I would usually leave TJ's with 4 or 5 large bags of groceries for $90-100.

Old 04-22-2012, 04:01 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,120,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
There's an amazing variety of food available at Fiesta. It's where I go when I just can't find that ingredient that a recipe from somewhere else (Morocco, India, Argentina, etc., etc., etc.) calls for (and I get it cheap because some folks that shop there consider it a staple!), and I pick up some Arrowhead Mills peanut butter and really nice jellies at the same time. Cleaning supplies I get elsewhere (or make myself, depending on how I'm feeling and how serious the job is ).

So, yes, I can see if the store is four times as big, that would make a significant difference in the experience. But I can pop in and out of Fiesta in no time if I'm in a hurry (as long as I make sure not to go down the wrong aisle and get caught up in all the nummy things I just can't live without even though I never knew they existed until I walked down that aisle!).
no way. The parking lot at fiesta is huge and is always completely full so you have to park all the way in the back and walk. The place is packed so the checkout lines are long too.

Fiesta definitely does not meet my get in and out fast criteria.

Old 04-22-2012, 07:47 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,312,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
I've never been to Fiesta so I cannot meaningfully answer. Does Fiesta have Whole Wheat cous cous? The fancy-pants HEB on Escarpment does not. I had to go to Central Market and get it and had to pay three times as much as I did at Trader Joes.
It actually does. I don't shop at Fiesta very often, but they do have a really good international section, and their prices on produce are the lowest I've seen.

Old 04-22-2012, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
No, but because Fiesta is a downscale market and TJs is an upscale market. Most people who shop at Whole Foods won't shop at Fiesta, but they will shop at TJs.

Even in the world of hardcore staples there are different grades and qualities, and TJs trends to the better grades, not the cheapest grades.

But you could say that, in a way, TJs is the Fiesta of upscale grocers.
Confused. So...from reading this thread with an open mind.....TJs doesn't compete on price. It competes on its house brands for convenience foods. Right?

Also, you'd be surprised by what Fiesta sells. Their international section is excellent- better than CM or WF, by far- and by international, I mean Asian, European, and Hispanic.

Old 04-22-2012, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
I've only been in one Fiesta and it was at least four times the size of TJ's. I will say, if you want full-chemical, noxious cleaning supplies, Fiesta had an aisle-full. (That WAS a couple of years ago, so maybe some more 'healthful' options are available now)
Don't all full scale grocery stores carry "full chemical, noxious cleaning supplies"?

Old 04-22-2012, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMJ27 View Post
I did buy convenience foods at TJ's, but I also bought pretty much all my (mostly organic) produce (we're vegetarians and eat a lot of fruits and veggies), tofu, tempeh, milk, half and half, yogurt, kefir, cottage cheese, yummy cheeses, pasta, rice, couscous, beans, maple syrup, sugar, flour, coffee, frozen organic veggies, nuts, and raisins. All the dairy was hormone and antibiotic free before most local chains jumped on that bandwagon. I believe it is the same with the meats.

The only thing that I really don't care for at TJ's is their bread.

I would usually leave TJ's with 4 or 5 large bags of groceries for $90-100.
Well, thanks for that. I appreciate your thorough shopping list! I'll check it out.

Old 04-22-2012, 08:15 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,422,673 times
Quote:
Confused. So...from reading this thread with an open mind.....TJs doesn't compete on price. It competes on its house brands for convenience foods. Right?
It's hard to triangulate, and different people have different reasons for shopping at TJs, so maybe we should all just shut up now and let y'all decide for yourselves.

But I'll try again... it's a Foodie haven, with the kinds of tasty treats that WF and CM carry, but at lower prices. And as a pioneer in bringing organics and natural foods to market, but without the "health food store" positioning, they bring in health conscious customers who like good food and are adventurous, but who don't want to spend the family fortune. Their prices are good, sometimes astonishing, but they are not the Dollar Store.

Quote:
Also, you'd be surprised by what Fiesta sells. Their international section is excellent- better than CM or WF, by far- and by international, I mean Asian, European, and Hispanic.
I'm very familiar with Fiesta, and like the previous poster I hate struggling with the parking there at 38 1/2 street. (On the other hand, I don't think the new location for TJs bodes well for either traffic or parking there.) And I'm not crazy about the feeling of wandering through the slums to get into the place. And cleanliness? It's clearly a downscale market. Fiesta cashiers? Relatively bored and clueless. I'm always a little depressed when I leave Fiesta, like I somehow coulda done better.

Old 04-22-2012, 08:17 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
no way. The parking lot at fiesta is huge and is always completely full so you have to park all the way in the back and walk. The place is packed so the checkout lines are long too.

Fiesta definitely does not meet my get in and out fast criteria.
Hmmm. I rarely have this problem (even when I'm driving Sam I Am, the Dodge Ram long-bed pickup), though if I do have to walk I just figure it's my exercise for the day - same thing counts for any grocery with a decent-sized parking lot so you can actually find a parking space. And I've rarely had to take more than five minutes in a checkout line. Trader Joe's is faster than that in spite of being so incredibly popular that just everyone who's anyone shops there?

Old 04-23-2012, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
It's hard to triangulate, and different people have different reasons for shopping at TJs, so maybe we should all just shut up now and let y'all decide for yourselves.

But I'll try again... it's a Foodie haven, with the kinds of tasty treats that WF and CM carry, but at lower prices. And as a pioneer in bringing organics and natural foods to market, but without the "health food store" positioning, they bring in health conscious customers who like good food and are adventurous, but who don't want to spend the family fortune. Their prices are good, sometimes astonishing, but they are not the Dollar Store.

I'm very familiar with Fiesta, and like the previous poster I hate struggling with the parking there at 38 1/2 street. (On the other hand, I don't think the new location for TJs bodes well for either traffic or parking there.) And I'm not crazy about the feeling of wandering through the slums to get into the place. And cleanliness? It's clearly a downscale market. Fiesta cashiers? Relatively bored and clueless. I'm always a little depressed when I leave Fiesta, like I somehow coulda done better.
Well, I'm definitely going to try it, although like you, the parking deters me a bit. Unlike you, I don't consider the area around Fiesta to be the "slums". It's fun and funky, which is what Austin is...or was....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin