U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 10:33 PM

5,327 posts, read 6,654,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpuppers View Post
I think Trader Joe's is a bit expensive, personally.
Alrighty...here goes another two-year-old thread re-hash...at least we have Sprouts to add to the conversation. Carry on...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2009, 01:34 PM

130 posts, read 234,925 times
Having lived in both Oregon and Texas, I guess TJ's you will not find an alternative in Austin. :-(.
Whole Foods, Sun Harvest etc are there,but you will not find TJ's variety and specially prices.
May be the reason being TJ's in atleast Oregon has no sales tax + they are not public company yet.
I've been trying to find TJ's alternative in Austin for past 3+ yrs, tried many including farmer's market
but nothing good yet.

PS# My eating habits are purely vegetarian + good mix of Asian/Mediterranean spices..So you can
imagine the type of food / groceries I typically consume.

Old 09-16-2009, 03:36 PM

39 posts, read 43,112 times
Since Whole Foods is headquartered here I have a feeling that this will be one of the last places west of the Mississippi to get a TJ's.

Old 09-16-2009, 09:12 PM

122 posts, read 273,890 times
TJ's is not the same as Whole Foods. Whole Foods is more of a "health food" store. TJs has unique grocery items. Their buyers just get fabulous deals, which they pass on to consumers. Wine deals at TJs cannot be beat. Sprouts is more competition for Whole Foods, IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Shoes View Post
Since Whole Foods is headquartered here I have a feeling that this will be one of the last places west of the Mississippi to get a TJ's.

Old 09-16-2009, 10:17 PM

20 posts, read 45,192 times
I'm always surprised in these "grocery store discussions", that no one mentions Fiesta much. I visited one a few months ago, before I moved here, and was very impressed - For all the amazing imported groceries, the fresh fish and meat, the cheap veggies... it's certainly not fancy, but for prices, selection and quality.... it's a must!

Old 09-16-2009, 10:32 PM

16,529 posts, read 23,136,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by didadi View Post
Having lived in both Oregon and Texas, I guess TJ's you will not find an alternative in Austin. :-(.
Whole Foods, Sun Harvest etc are there,but you will not find TJ's variety and specially prices.
May be the reason being TJ's in atleast Oregon has no sales tax + they are not public company yet.
I've been trying to find TJ's alternative in Austin for past 3+ yrs, tried many including farmer's market
but nothing good yet.

PS# My eating habits are purely vegetarian + good mix of Asian/Mediterranean spices..So you can
imagine the type of food / groceries I typically consume.
I suggest you try both Fiesta and Phoenicia.

Old 09-16-2009, 10:53 PM

8,642 posts, read 16,490,571 times
When I lived in Houston, Fiesta's were all over the place and it's pretty much the only place I shopped unless I went to the Rice Epicurean down the street from me. I actually do like Fiesta but it's a tad too far for me to go.

Old 09-17-2009, 12:30 AM

12 posts, read 31,078 times
I am typically reverse order here. As a Texan, I now spend half my time in L.A. No doubt Trader Joe's is awesome, I fail to see that there are not alternatives in the Austin area that are not comparable. Each to their own, and it is what you get used to. I don't see though that if you search, that Austin does not have the same products for the same or lesser prices than Ca. in general. You don't go to one grocery store in Ca. to get everything, nor do you in Austin...

Old 09-17-2009, 01:05 PM

634 posts, read 848,523 times
I miss Trader Joe's. Super convenient and certainly less expensive than both Central Market and Whole Foods. And aaaaah, good old Two Buck Chuck! Oh, and the Mac & Cheese! Oh, and the $1.99 Kung Pao boxes! Oh . . . and I should stop. I'm depressing myself. For some reason the Berkeley Bowl kind of reminded me of Central Market. It was one of a kind. A little pricey for me, but a fun little place to treat yourself to some nice produce.

I'm poor. I stick with Herbert E. Butt's chains.

Old 09-17-2009, 07:03 PM

1,938 posts, read 3,935,923 times
Yeah, you don't have Trader Joes in Texas...but darn it all, you do have Chuys...so stop yer whinin'. I MISS CHUYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin