U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 05:36 PM

1,044 posts, read 2,600,000 times

Advertisements

The TJ's website shows nothing. Whole Foods is nice, but expensive for someone on a budget. Is there any place similar to Trader Joes there or has anyone heard if they might get one soon?

Also, do you guys have any Aldi grocery stores? I know some people where I live don't like them but they are great for basics and produce.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2007, 06:31 PM

89 posts, read 237,727 times
There's a whole thread here on the rumors of Trader Joe's coming to Austin. For an alternative to Whole Foods, I've enjoyed Sun Harvest (recently bought by Wild Oats but still better prices than Whole Foods) and Wheatsville Co-op (although I've never really compared prices there).

I remember Aldi from New Jersey! Now those are fabulous for economical groceries - I defintely relied on them many a time. I haven't seen one here but that doesn't mean they aren't - I haven't ventured much outside the central city and the real estate costs in town would cancel out their ability to price the way they do.

Old 08-10-2007, 07:05 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,641,986 times
This thread will probably be moved or merged because of the extensive existing thread on the same topic.

Old 08-10-2007, 07:08 PM

Thanks austinonline1! I used to shop at Wild Oats until they went out of business here. I don't think I've been to a Sun Harvest before but I like trying out new places to shop at so it should be a fun experience!

Yeah Aldi is one of a kind. An Aldi manager told me he thought there might be some in Texas but he didn't know where though.

Old 08-10-2007, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITChick View Post
Thanks austinonline1! I used to shop at Wild Oats until they went out of business here. I don't think I've been to a Sun Harvest before but I like trying out new places to shop at so it should be a fun experience!
News flash: Sun Harvest was bought out by Wild Oats. Sun Harvest doesn't exist, which is really a shame because it was a great store and Wild Oats has destroyed those stores with a much more limited product line at much higher prices with much less competent, less friendly employees.

But we have Wheatsville Food Coop, the flagship Whole Foods Market (best store on the planet), Central Market, and Fresh Plus. And even the regular HEB supermarkets are pretty amazing compared to grocery stores in most other places. Food shopping in Austin is a pleasurable experience if you know where to go.

Old 08-10-2007, 09:05 PM

3,226 posts, read 9,949,410 times
I suggest using the "Search this forum" feature - just search on "Trader Joes" there are several threads on this topic, and one realllly long one.

Old 08-10-2007, 09:10 PM

2,090 posts, read 3,888,229 times
No, nothing at all like Trader Joe's. I wouldn't go to Wheatsville, it's kind of run down and dirty. Trader Joe's isn't planning on opening a store here. Guess your stuck with Whole Foods. I shopped at Trader Joe's when I lived in California, I loved it.

Old 08-11-2007, 08:29 AM

655 posts, read 1,683,456 times
I know WF can be expensive, but I've found that their store brand, 365, is priced nicely.

Old 08-11-2007, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHarvester View Post
But we have Wheatsville Food Coop, the flagship Whole Foods Market (best store on the planet), Central Market, and Fresh Plus. And even the regular HEB supermarkets are pretty amazing compared to grocery stores in most other places. Food shopping in Austin is a pleasurable experience if you know where to go.
Sounds like I need to do some Google Mapping to find these places.

Thank you to everyone for your helpful replies to my post!

Old 08-11-2007, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llkltk View Post
No, nothing at all like Trader Joe's.
There is one place that has a wee bit of TJ's feel to it. It's called Spec's. - SPEC's Liquors Online: Wines, Spirits, Cigars and Finer Foods

They apparently have 3 locations in Austin. It's a huge spacious store with a ton of interesting products, huge wine, beer and liquor selection, a deli, and some decent prices though nothing as cheap as TJ's.

The similarities are limited mainly to the fact that you can get a lot of exotic sauces, snacks and ethnic foods for relatively good prices at this new store, which is part of a chain based in Houston. I spoke with a worker there who said that many of their customers have been saying how it reminds them a bit of TJ's but it's NOT as good in most ways other than they're way bigger and more spacious. Most TJ's make money by cutting every imaginable type of cost, that's how they keep their prices low, so most of them have bad parking and are really crowded inside. But they're so good at offering just what you want at phenomenal prices...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin