Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 02:02 PM

659 posts, read 1,759,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
Wow...y'all must have a more attractive 'variety' of Cedar Elm! The 'indigenous' ones behind our house and in the 'green belt' of Avery Ranch are truly ugly in the winter...they look like a dead oak(except for the pervasive mistletoe ).
Maybe... my neighbor's cedar elms are quite attractive. They were really the only trees on the street that looked great all winter, and were the first to bloom beautifully in the early spring. Maybe it's all in how they're cared for??

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
I'm surprised someone hasn't mentioned the Bradford Pear. I'm NOT recommending it;but, IF you were only going to live there a few years and then move, you could leave the 'problem' Bradfords for the next folks! I know they are problematic; but they provide shade during the summer and allow the light through during the winter. They were everywhere in Atlanta until the developers and landscapers quit using them because they were known as 'five to eight year' trees. All it takes is a good wind storm or ice storm and the Bradfords have all kinds of problems. We have quite a few here in our neighborhood and many are doing well. Quick shade if you plant a 'large-ish' one to start. Some folks have the 'quick shade' idea with a Bradford Pear with a slower growing 'something else' nearby to takes its place in 4-6-8 years. Just a thought.
I've been wondering about Bradford Pear trees. I think they're beautiful - the only true 4-seasons of color trees I ever see in these here parts. I've been tempted to plant one or two in my backyard, but your point about susceptible to storm damage is well taken. Not that we really get the kinds of snow and ice storms (regularly) that could potentially hurt those trees.

But back on topic about shade trees - I'm not sure Bradford Pears really offer much shade from the brutal summer sun. There was a street lined with them in an apartment complex where I used to live, and although they were beautiful, their oval-ish growth didn't strike me as providing the kind of shade someone with a west-facing house would really benefit from (to the OP's point).

Also - from the ones I saw - they seem to sort of peak out at about 15ish feet, and then stop growing. Maybe that was just the particular area where this cluster of BPs were growing...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2011, 02:25 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,552,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinitegirl View Post
?

I've been wondering about Bradford Pear trees. I think they're beautiful - the only true 4-seasons of color trees I ever see in these here parts. I've been tempted to plant one or two in my backyard, but your point about susceptible to storm damage is well taken. Not that we really get the kinds of snow and ice storms (regularly) that could potentially hurt those trees.

But back on topic about shade trees - I'm not sure Bradford Pears really offer much shade from the brutal summer sun. There was a street lined with them in an apartment complex where I used to live, and although they were beautiful, their oval-ish growth didn't strike me as providing the kind of shade someone with a west-facing house would really benefit from (to the OP's point).

Also - from the ones I saw - they seem to sort of peak out at about 15ish feet, and then stop growing. Maybe that was just the particular area where this cluster of BPs were growing...
Good points. There are three Bradfords just down the street that are in the 25' range, plenty to shade the first floor of the house and screen the windows(IF planted close enough). There is another just a few doors down that is plenty tall enough to shade 'something' , but it's growing well away from any structures. These would have been planted 6-7 years ago but I don't know the 'original' size.

One challenge is the lovely central Texas wind...the branches can be so full that the 30+mph winds can split the trunk if the tree has any damage or isn't strong enough/staked to withstand the winds.

Our lot/house price was a good $20K(or more) higher as a 'premium' lot with a half-dozen live oaks that shade the house from the east and west. I'd be tickled to have something on the southern exposure to help out, but fortunately, the house is Texas stone and that southern exposure has only one large window(and one tiny one). Thank goodness for excellent attic insulation...that sun is a beast! We were talking just yesterday about how lucky we were to find this house/layout/trees. Even when the afternoon sun just peeks through and hits the front door glass, you can feel the difference instantly.

Good luck with the trees!!!

Old 05-09-2011, 03:06 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinitegirl View Post
Maybe... my neighbor's cedar elms are quite attractive. They were really the only trees on the street that looked great all winter, and were the first to bloom beautifully in the early spring. Maybe it's all in how they're cared for??

The Bradford Pear is a beautiful tree. I'd call it 3 seasons of color, flowering in spring, deep green in summer, reddish leaves in fall, no leaves in Winter ( but do have some tiny clusters of berries). Blossoms http://www.pbase.com/cptinrn/image/1...9/original.jpg

The developer in Legend Oaks planted lots of Bradford Pears, They grow fast and make for a nice tree lined street. But they only last 15 years or so before they start falling apart. The branching structure, with multiple upright branches starting near the main point on the trunk, results in fissures and cracks between branches, encouraging rott. And when these branches get large enough they can literally fail overnight and come crashing down. See photo http://pics.davesgarden.com/pics/200...rry/7be581.jpg

The Bradford Pear in my front yard was at least 40 tall when this happened to it. The first large branch that broke off in a wind storm must have weighed over 200#. I could barely drag it across the yard to get it out of the driveway before I cut it up. Fortunatly my brother who had been parking his car there all weekend, left the day before this came crashing down.

See all the numerous complaints here about the weak structure PlantFiles: Detailed information on Flowering Pear, Callery Pear Pyrus calleryana 'Bradford'

All that said, I replaced the Bradford Pear that blew down with a new one because my wife loved the flowers and fall color so much. But I tried to carefully pick one with branch placements that would minimize the problems I described above, and have tried to keep it pruned to avoid those problems.

Old 05-09-2011, 03:13 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
Here are the City of Austin Grow Green recommendations for trees. Texas Ash is a good one to consider for fast growth, fall color, good size and relatively long life.

http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/growgreen...s/pg_trees.pdf

Old 05-09-2011, 03:23 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
No recommendations on the Monterrey Oak? The Monterrey Oak, or Mexican Live Oak, is wonderfully suited to almost any place in the Austin area, although I am not sure about the more clay like areas to the west of Austin. It has to be the fastest growing oak, and it is pretty much an 'evergreen' (it does not drop its leaves until the new ones are budding). We planted one 5 or 6 years ago as a 3 foot twig, and it is about 30 feet tall and very full now. It is also from the white oak family, so it is oak wilt resistant.
Countryside Trees :: Mexican Live Oak
Texas Tree Selector: Tree Description

If you want to keep your winter sun (i.e. you do not mind a tree that goes bare in the winter), look at the Chinqupin (sp?) oak. It has huge leaves and acorns and grows very quickly for an oak (although noticeably slower than the Monterrey). It also is a white oak family and wilt resistant.
eNature: FieldGuides: Species Detail

In any case, think of the trees as an investment if you plan to be in your house a few years - a mature oak adds significant value and huge 'curb appeal'. The bradford pears are really nice shade trees, but they have extremely dense foliage and are subject to wind damage, as well as aging rapidly. I also think they are somewhat less drought resistant than most oaks.

Oh, and as for planting larger trees to start with. I believe that smaller trees actually take root better and suffer less shock, and typically pass the larger trees in a few years. Our Monterrey is easily 6" near the base of the trunk, and it started as a half inch (or less) just 5 or 6 years ago.

Old 05-09-2011, 03:30 PM

291 posts, read 800,683 times
If you are worried about getting a tree that is too big, then I'd recommend you have Sheryl McLaughlin 512-250-9004 come out to do a consultation. My favorite are the Monterrey Oak and Chinquapin Oak, but they are both really big. Sheryl would be able to tell you exactly what you will need.

The number above is to Kevin Wood landscape - Sheryl works with Kevin and she will come do a consultation. I think they will plant the tree for you too.

Yes, planting smaller trees is better than the larger ones

Old 05-09-2011, 03:34 PM

3,202 posts, read 6,020,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post

Oh, and as for planting larger trees to start with. I believe that smaller trees actually take root better and suffer less shock, and typically pass the larger trees in a few years. Our Monterrey is easily 6" near the base of the trunk, and it started as a half inch (or less) just 5 or 6 years ago.
Sorry TW, I'm calling BS on this one. The people I know who live west of me who have planted 1/2" sticks (chinqapin, red, and monterrey) 3 years ago, and they are still sticks (and about 1/3 of them died)

Old 05-09-2011, 03:39 PM

679 posts, read 1,802,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobert View Post
Calling BS on this one.
Not sure about TW's stats, but I have heard the same about small vs large trees. You're out a whole boatload of money if your $400 tree fails after a couple years (after the warranty is up) and left with the question of whether to get another $400 to replace it or start small when maybe that's what you should have done in the first place...

Old 05-09-2011, 03:43 PM

3,202 posts, read 6,020,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnamon_toast View Post
Not sure about TW's stats, but I have heard the same about small vs large trees. You're out a whole boatload of money if your $400 tree fails after a couple years (after the warranty is up) and left with the question of whether to get another $400 to replace it or start small when maybe that's what you should have done in the first place...
I've planted 6 trees like that on my property, and they've ALL survived - adding about 2-4 feet per year since being planted 2 years ago. I don't think they will suddenly die for no reason if they've established themselves. 3" trees when planted are already about 5-6 years old. If you want a good headstart, plant the mature trees first, and get a canopied lot earlier for better resale value. If you're not selling for 15-20 years and don't care about your utility bills, then the saplings would suffice. I know people who've gone the sapling route, got fed up after 3 years of no results, caved in and bought mature trees to plant.

Old 05-09-2011, 03:45 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,342,606 times
Red Oaks? You'll be doing a LOT of leaf-raking.

My brother curses his.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin