U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-09-2011, 06:31 PM

8 posts, read 16,040 times

Advertisements

Hello! I have 20 foot high ceilings in my home and we are wanting to paint. I know I can reach most of the areas with a long extension pole. We also plan to paint the ceilings the same color as the walls so no cut in issues with the ceilings. However, there is a light fixture right in the middle of the room and I'm trying to figure out how best reach it so I can carefully paint around it. I'm guessing I'll need to rent scaffolding? If so where are some good places in austin to rent it? I've never used scaffolding before. Is it difficult to assemble? Any experiences you have had using it would be helpful. Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2011, 09:47 AM

433 posts, read 1,027,326 times
We had some guys paint our 20ft ceiling and they just stood on tall ladders with poles/rollers.

The ceiling also has a fan and several recessed lighting fixtures. One guy stood on a tall ladder with pole that had a small brush attached to the end to do the trim around the fixtures. I thought to myself, "no way is this going to turn-out ok". Surpise, surpise....the guy did an amazing job. Talk about balance and a steady-hand. Funny, he did a better job than the other guy who painted around the fixtures on the 9ft ceiling.

I know I could never get up on a scaffold that high to paint.

Old 05-10-2011, 09:49 AM

676 posts, read 934,319 times
Renting scaffolding will be $$$$. Save yourself the hassle and hire someone to paint, even if it's just the ceiling.

Old 05-10-2011, 12:10 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,186,140 times
That's what my suggestion was going to be - pay someone else to do it! I only have 11 foot ceilings throughout and I'm not going to do it myself!!

Old 05-10-2011, 12:23 PM

2,308 posts, read 2,764,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RooCeleste View Post
That's what my suggestion was going to be - pay someone else to do it! I only have 11 foot ceilings throughout and I'm not going to do it myself!!
Last year I nearly ruined my back paining a vaulted ceiling with ladder and extension roller. The height is bad enough, but all the angles will kill you. If I had it to do over, I would hire it done. By the way, I have painted plenty of "normal" height ceilings, and they are no big deal to me. The really high ceilings, however, are a challenge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: