Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 02:27 PM

1,133 posts, read 4,186,597 times

Advertisements

Previously I had positive feedback about Marquis Caprock Canyon Apartments. Today, not so much. I received an email stating...

"Caprock has gone paperless! Formerly, payments have been accepted by check and then electronically scanned through our system. Effective immediately, checks will no longer be accepted as we will be requiring auto draft. Please note auto draft is completely free, you can choose when the amount is drafted (1st, 2nd, or 3rd) and you are able to set a cap on the amount drafted from your account (your amount drafted will never exceed the amount of the cap). This letter will serve as an addendum to lease and the formal notice in writing of a change to the lease contract. Per the Texas Apartment Association lease contract, section18, “We may make reasonable changes to the written rules, effective immediately, if they are distributed and applicable to all units in the apartment community and do not change the dollar amounts on page 1 of this Lease Contract.” You will also be entered into a drawing for a vacation giveaway simply for signing up for our auto draft!"

I find it VERY annoying that I am now being forced to do autodraft for my rent payment. I bank with BOA and they've screwed up on my mortgage autodraft by double-dipping one month and it took SIX months for them to credit our account.

Is this standard practice these days? I'm not liking it...

Grumble, grumble...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2011, 02:38 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
Quote:
We may make reasonable changes to the written rules,
You might debate reasonable with them...I have never heard of some place requiring auto-draft, but I have not rented in a while. I would seriously doubt that they can force you to auto-draft. Tell em you will pay by cashier check . Heck, tell them you decided to close your bank account...they can't REQUIRE you to have one now, regardless of whether it was one of the thing they checked when you were approved for your lease.

Old 05-10-2011, 02:40 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,063,260 times
I would be annoyed too. Contact the Austin Tenant's Council and see if they think this can be forced on you. Austin Tenants’ Council/Telephone Counseling

Old 05-10-2011, 03:29 PM

1,133 posts, read 4,186,597 times
Thanks for the info!

When I called the apt leasing office they claimed that people had broken into the office and stolen checks so they were doing this for MY protection -- so that my account number wouldn't get stolen. Hm. Yea.

Old 05-10-2011, 03:55 PM

370 posts, read 999,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
You might debate reasonable with them...
Yes, I think they are full of it.
They just want access to be able to withdraw from your account.
Probably help them from people saying "here, just use my security as last months rent".
Stuff like that.

They could easily set it up so your bank can do a push right to
their account. No paper needed. Most of my bills are that way.

They do not "need" to do a pull.

I refused to give an apartment the right to do a pull, but
they didn't push it from there ...

Old 05-10-2011, 04:59 PM

629 posts, read 1,653,392 times
Autodraft is absolutely a BAD idea for anything. It's basically giving out your bank account number and giving them automatic authorization to pull whatever money whenever they want. Yes, of course you can fight "unauthorized" withdraws, but banks have NO interest in being your friend here and will make it incredibly difficult to get any money back.

I don't see how anyone could be required to do this for rent. Just simply tell them no. Are they really going to evict a paying tenant over this? I highly doubt it. But be prepared to move when your current lease ends.

I would absolutely move from any apartment that made this a requirement.

Old 05-10-2011, 05:47 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,879,750 times
I wouldn't do it. I agree, that's a bunch of BS they are trying to peddle just to give them full unfettered access to your checking account. They aren't doing it because they got checks stolen, I can GUARANTEE that.

Definitely contact the Austin Tenants Council. I don't see what they could do if you just say you don't allow autodraft on your account, you have an agreement with your bank based on previous abuse of it.

Old 05-10-2011, 05:57 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,736,986 times
No way. Absolutely not. They think you're stupid.

What you owe them is the rent per lease. That's all.

Old 05-10-2011, 07:41 PM

13 posts, read 21,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesonofgray View Post
Autodraft is absolutely a BAD idea for anything. It's basically giving out your bank account number and giving them automatic authorization to pull whatever money whenever they want.
AMEN!
More and more businesses are trying to ram autodraft down our throats.
But personally, I strongly object to an invisible hand reaching down deep into my bank account and yanking out money. I like to remain in control of MY money by writing checks or doing an online transfer...I don't CARE if it takes more time.

I'm sure businesses to it to...

1. Save time on collections.
2. Save money on processing paper/go green.
3. Increase the chances of being paid, and paid on time.
4. Keep getting money from you for things like gym dues and web memberships simply because you forgot to cancel.

I hate autodraft!

Old 05-11-2011, 01:37 AM

26 posts, read 82,436 times
Here's an interesting site called Mr. Landlord that talks about auto drafts for rent. Maybe your property managers recently attended one of his seminars?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin