U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 08:50 PM

189 posts, read 285,817 times
Default Golf Course - Damage caused by golfers to property

One more time with this bloody browser. I checked the forum and found nothing that applies to my question.

Who is responsible for damage caused by errant golf balls, the golfer or the homeowner? We have had numerous golf balls in our yard & pool and only one broken window. The golfer came to our door with his card and paid for the broken window quick smart. We live on a T box so not too many balls take a ledt turn into our house.

Other owners, assuming they live on the fairway, have been not so lucky and encountered, golfers who were less than gentlemen. These people have had golf balls hit their children, damage their cars and golf carts which damage their metal fences. And, not an apology or offer to fix the breakage. So the question is who is responsible monetarily for the repairs?

We expected these types of occurrences, but the placement of our house hasn't really brought much activity.

It's a public course, quite nice, in the northern burbs outside Travis county. Which may explain the attitude of some golfers and their lack of golf etiquette since they may be new to the game. However, public urination in full view is just wrong no matter a golfers level of play.

The homeowners are pretty fed up as are the course owners since residents treat the fairways & greens as after hours playgrounds; causing damage to th fairways, greens and sand traps.

Please DM me with any specific info, this subject is a bit raw and i'd like to minimize misinterpretations.

thank in advance from my corner of h*ll
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2011, 09:19 PM

471 posts, read 699,020 times
Uh, wasn't the golf course there before you bought? To me this is kinda like buying a house next to a forest, then complaining that leaves keep coming in your yard.

If I'm on a course and I do damage to house on the course, I take responsibility. But I wouldn't expect that to be the most common outcome. Usually if a golfer hits a ball so poorly that it might hit a house, they have lost track of where it went themselves. They could be 300 yards away and unaware.

My brother-in-law lives on a ritzy course in South Florida. Every homeowner there has put up nets.

Old 05-11-2011, 09:26 PM

8,685 posts, read 17,634,553 times
Urinating in public is a civil offense, call the police, if kids are around it is pretty significant.....

Old 05-11-2011, 10:06 PM

14,312 posts, read 20,082,323 times
What does your neighborhood association say about this. I assume if you bought property next to a golf course, where it is part of the neighorhood, there are probably disclaimers in your HOA or purchase agreements limiting your recourse here.

I know that family who have bought houses in areas like this have had similar problems. They ended up installing metal shutters over the windows facing the golf course because they had so much breakage.

Old 05-11-2011, 10:18 PM

398 posts, read 1,051,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Urinating in public is a civil offense, call the police, if kids are around it is pretty significant.....
I've heard it can actually get you put on the Sexual Offender's List, the same one for rapists and molesters.

If that's true, I personally would probably hesitate before calling the police.

Old 05-11-2011, 11:03 PM

189 posts, read 285,817 times
Default aid

We knew the issues and have no problems; it's other homeowners who are having problems. A fairway location almost assures the chance a ball could end up in the homeowners yard :-D
The HOA, what can I say.... I've been through everything we signed at closing and find no mention of the course or damage.
More to come since there was a letter from the owner of the course that was less than sympathetic to the home owners.
Some homeowners are now installing security cameras....don't know if that will help, but it's worth a try. But as someone said, if a ball is hit from 300 yds away and goes into a pool; the golfer doesn't know. Anyways more to follow.
This all started with some less than smart kids playing in the sprinklers, grey water spiked with week killer. More parents who are clueless. I think the course has some responsibility to remind the golfers of children playing in their yards and just a general "act like a gentleman" sort of admonishment.

Old 05-12-2011, 03:53 AM

369 posts, read 520,655 times
I have lived in several golf course communities, and it's always been the homeowners
responsibility. Even in an apartment, the apartment paid the damage.
It's a residential hazard you accept if you buy, or move there.

I had one apartment, right at the green, 20 yards past it.
It was quite unnerving seeing some amateur 50 yards out, and a driver in his hand :-)
I heard more plunks on the side of my apt than you can imagine.
Golf balls in my laundry machine and dryer (those appliances were installed in the deck closet)

Occasionally something would break, the apartment fixed it.

MOST golfers don't even think, or look.
Not going to notice, or care, if some kids are in nearby yards.
Their turn comes up ... they're looking straight at the pin ... Shank !
Oh well

Old 05-12-2011, 09:10 AM

19 posts, read 18,301 times
Morally it is the golfer's responsibility, but we all know how far that goes. The lack of "intent" would make this impossible to prosecute so the police would likely advise a civil suit. That process can become more of a pain in the butt then what it's worth with no guaranteed happy ending. Might as well fix and move on with life. It's the cost of living on a golf course.

Last edited by AndyInc; 05-12-2011 at 09:20 AM..

Old 05-12-2011, 09:18 AM

727 posts, read 955,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Statements like this scare me.

Old 05-12-2011, 09:23 AM

727 posts, read 955,476 times
I was once playing on a course like this in Hilton Head. I accidentally hit a ball such that it came straight down on someones roof with no damage. The homeowners came out yelling wanting to know who I was with because obviously some poor looking schmohawk like me couldn't be a member. All I could think was, "what did you expect living on a golf course?". I think they called security on us because as we were leaving a couple holes early to make an appointment security pulled up to ask us how we were doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin