Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2011, 02:48 PM

3 posts, read 5,931 times

Advertisements

I completely realize that there are 1,000 posts that go something like "Moving to Austin: Job Please Wat Do?!" so I apologize in advance if you're tired of seeing them.

If you do feel like helping a girl out, here's the question: I'm almost done with my Master's in Library and Information Science, and I've received lots of full time, paid internships with the federal and state government here in Ohio. I'm moving to Austin to be with my boyfriend, though.

Unfortunately, I'm finding the Austin job search rather daunting! Is it difficult to find government jobs in the area (any kind! City, State, County!) I'm completely open to applying for private sector jobs too, but my experience kind of screams "government." I'm not seeing a whole lot out there...Are there good ways to get a foot in the door?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2011, 02:52 PM

648 posts, read 1,964,654 times
Many hiring freezes out there. What is your background?

Old 05-15-2011, 05:24 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
Government shortfalls have resulted in huge cutbacks and layoffs in education and especially areas like Library and Information Science, which are considered secondary to teaching. So this is probably not a great time to find anything in those fields in Texas.

Old 05-16-2011, 07:51 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,983,153 times
From a 16-year, professional-level manager with the State of Texas, good luck! While numerous agencies are still posting jobs, not many of them are being filled and the ones that are tend to be very critical positions. My agency has been under a hiring freeze for almost a year, and I think there is actually one bill in the legislature right now that would implement a statewide hiring freeze for the next biennium. (Who knows if that will pass, though...) As far as getting in, it is strictly a numbers game; the more jobs you apply for, the better your chances. Just don't get discouraged because there are also thousands of other people looking for jobs, and many of them already have experience in Texas state government.

Old 05-16-2011, 08:02 AM

1,073 posts, read 2,095,023 times
As another poster said, the more jobs you apply for, the better your chances.

There's a website that lists all state agencies in Texas. If you'd like that link, send me a mesage.

I recently saw a posting that possibly matched your qualifications with your studies in information science. I can't remember what agency the job was posted with, but if I come across it again, I will let you know. Much luck to you!

Old 05-16-2011, 05:00 PM

8 posts, read 14,768 times
City of Austin is not under a hiring freeze, and unlike the state are on track financially. The projected budget for next fiscal year has only a $10 million shortfall which is relatively tiny (resurface a few less miles of road) and that even includes a 3% cost of living raise (we went without FY09 and FY10). You should be looking hard at working for CoA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin