Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 10:43 PM

597 posts, read 1,316,696 times

Advertisements

Is the town welcoming to minorities? I know not all paces in Texas are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2011, 08:33 AM

3 posts, read 5,247 times
born in marfa but parents relocated to san antonio when my two brothers and I were young ones. Do miss marfa at times, like the openess , friendly marfites(people). Don't know if my young (older by now) friends still live in marfa. One on this days will visit Marfa. Have cousins in Odessa. Those marfa lights are a sight to see. One of my Aunts relatives was in the film"Giant" Old highway 90 back then, from marfa to san antonio. Marfa is a small, little, big town. It's out of sight but not out of my mind.

Old 02-27-2015, 08:54 AM

155 posts, read 149,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FueledByBlueBell View Post
I posted on the Austin board...I know that it is super trendy and popular, but I'm just wondering why?...Please tell me what I'm missing!
You said much on the appeal of Marfa in 3 words: Austin, trendy, popular.

I like both places in their own ways, but not for the usual rehash we're told. Marfa mixes world-class art, wannabe art/people, and real west TX people - and much less traffic and humidity than Austin. Must be quite the escape, let alone from crowded SF, NYC, etc. The worst aspect is how many Austinites feel some need to bring too much Austin with them, instead of enjoying a different place on its own terms.

Marfa is what most everyone here says, plus the legendary light and climate of the high desert. You can get that same effect for hundreds of miles of NM, AZ, NV...but not much of the same art culture. It isn't Santa Fe - too much friendly Texas and SW there, which SF mostly lacks.

It adds dimension to meet Marfa locals (easy to spot...not trendy) and the newbies / visitors (also easy to spot). Sun-Tues are dead, most places closed...make lodging reservations weeks in advance, because you aren't the only one visiting the limited # of high $ accomodations. And bring $$, nothing's cheap there.

Marfa is small, so it's easy to see much of it in 1-2 days, Wed-Sat...first a drive-by survey, then one can walk the parts that you're more interested in. To tour Chinati, add 1/2 to 1 full day to your time.

Go for it!

But don't try to squeeze in the other places "nearby" (Terlingua, Big Bend, Alpine, etc) in the same trip, except to drive through enroute. You can do those later...the key is to soak in the great mix of culture and landscape in Marfa.

Last edited by nmdesert; 02-27-2015 at 09:52 AM..

Old 02-27-2015, 09:18 AM

129 posts, read 160,514 times
Marfa. What your town would look like if it was run by NPR.

Old 02-27-2015, 09:55 AM

155 posts, read 149,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnative69 View Post
Marfa. What your town would look like if it was run by NPR.
Good point...some good, bad, and indifferent. That NPR voice, every other sentence beginning with, "So, ...".

Old 03-01-2015, 09:51 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,879,270 times
The Marfa lights is the main attraction, which is just the reflection and refraction of lights off a rural highway. Since the air is so clear in the high desert, you can see lights from a car 20 miles away. Seeing it is a bit mystifying, even though you know it's just headlights on a distant highway.

The climate is dry and there are some cool artsy things. A lot of times in the winter when it's rainy and cold here, it's sunny and mild in Marfa. In the summer it is hot in Marfa but it has very low humidity and cools off substantially at night. So it's really a great place to visit all year and the weather is comparably better than Austin.

Old 03-01-2015, 10:17 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,380,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
The Marfa lights is the main attraction, which is just the reflection and refraction of lights off a rural highway. Since the air is so clear in the high desert, you can see lights from a car 20 miles away. Seeing it is a bit mystifying, even though you know it's just headlights on a distant highway.

The climate is dry and there are some cool artsy things. A lot of times in the winter when it's rainy and cold here, it's sunny and mild in Marfa. In the summer it is hot in Marfa but it has very low humidity and cools off substantially at night. So it's really a great place to visit all year and the weather is comparably better than Austin.
Really? From the Texas State Historical Association website:

The first historical record of them recalls that in 1883 a young cowhand, Robert Reed Ellison, saw a flickering light while he was driving cattle through Paisano Pass and wondered if it was the campfire of Apache Indians. He was told by other settlers that they often saw the lights, but when they investigated they found no ashes or other evidence of a campsite. Joe and Sally Humphreys, also early settlers, reported their first sighting of the lights in 1885. Cowboys herding cattle on the prairies noticed the lights and in the summer of 1919 rode over the mountains looking for the source, but found nothing. World War I observers feared that the lights were intended to guide an invasion. During World War II pilots training at the nearby Midland Army Air Field outside Marfa looked for the source of the elusive lights from the air, again with no success.

"

Old 03-01-2015, 04:19 PM

348 posts, read 830,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Really? From the Texas State Historical Association website:

The first historical record of them recalls that in 1883 a young cowhand, Robert Reed Ellison, saw a flickering light while he was driving cattle through Paisano Pass and wondered if it was the campfire of Apache Indians. He was told by other settlers that they often saw the lights, but when they investigated they found no ashes or other evidence of a campsite. Joe and Sally Humphreys, also early settlers, reported their first sighting of the lights in 1885. Cowboys herding cattle on the prairies noticed the lights and in the summer of 1919 rode over the mountains looking for the source, but found nothing. World War I observers feared that the lights were intended to guide an invasion. During World War II pilots training at the nearby Midland Army Air Field outside Marfa looked for the source of the elusive lights from the air, again with no success.

"
I don't claim to know the "truth" of the Marfa lights, but I'm pretty sure most of them are car lights. There's a string of them repeating in the same place. That, presumably, is the highway. I visited the viewing area in early darkness and saw plenty of lights there. I visited again hours later after midnight and there were very few. I did see a mysterious light or two to the left of the highway. FM 169 is at lower elevations and partly in a steep valley, so I don't think conditions are favorable for seeing lights from that road, but I suppose it's possible. I seem to remember those lights to the left as being near a radio tower, but it's been about 10 years so I may not remember correctly. I don't know if that radio tower lines up with any distant highways. I'd like to go back and have another look.

I do think that most of the lights that people were looking at in the evening were car lights along US 67 in the distant mountains. The appear and disappear and reappear in a string, as cars go across ridges and valleys. I also saw other lights that seem mysterious, but I'm uncertain as to the facts or positions all these years later. My point is that there may be mysterious lights, and I may have seen them, but I think the main attraction for casual viewers in the early evening is distant car lights.

Old 03-07-2015, 08:23 AM

9 posts, read 21,563 times
Because it, like Austin, if full of liberal Democrats.

Old 03-08-2015, 10:53 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,991,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfresca View Post
Is the town welcoming to minorities? I know not all paces in Texas are.
Yes. Very. The local folk are mostly Mex-American and the artists are your liberal transplant Anglo artist types and artist wanna-bes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin