Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 03:42 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,550,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by N. Olikee View Post
I've never really understood the "traffic problem" in Austin. However, I don't usually have to deal with rush hour........thank goodness.

Remember, Austin grew immensely over the past decade. And, it esp. grew to the north...........which is weird to me.......won't go into it, but that was just a bunch of ranch land up there around Cedar Park, Leander, Round Rock not so very long ago.

Austin traffic is NOT bad.......Atlanta is bad!
We've been known to say that more than once(after 25 years in Atlanta).

We're part of that 'weird growth' in north-north Austin. One reason we moved to Avery Ranch is the actual availability of highways to go in nearly every direction. I can't imagine living where the traffic doesn't move or where the highways will never be completed(you KNOW where I'm talking about!). BTW, wasn't Circle C a 'ranch' before it was developed?

We actually looked much closer in but since we don't need to commute into town AND we have many destinations farther to the north, we decided NOT to contribute to the 'horrible' Austin traffic!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2011, 04:12 PM

970 posts, read 1,872,905 times
I LOVE Atlanta. Although the traffic is bad, they do have light rail which we utilized the last time we were there. Wish we had something comparable here.

I don't mean to "put down" the northern exurbs, but if you had asked me 15+ years ago which way Austin would have grown, I never would have guessed to the north.

Old 05-22-2011, 08:48 PM

2,089 posts, read 3,906,520 times
Stay off of IH35 and Mopac. You're welcome.

Old 05-23-2011, 07:29 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,051,870 times
Yes, it gets very bad unfortunately. I saw a list or article that said it's the worst for a city of this size.

Old 05-23-2011, 12:29 PM

594 posts, read 1,249,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danbo1957 View Post
Stay off of IH35 and Mopac. You're welcome.

Yup. I made it work for YEARS by doing this.

Old 05-25-2011, 04:33 PM

103 posts, read 215,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N. Olikee View Post
I am constantly "awed" by the length- of -commute people (sp. on this website) are willing to make. 30 minutes one way? Really?! I always (probably mistakenly) assume that's without traffic.

The worst traffic I have ever encountered was the day before Thanksgiving in the LA area. Had to drive from Torrance (south bay) up to Northridge, CA. A 45 min. drive took me 2 Hours!
When you come from the land of the 60 min commute (for 10 miles) then 30 min is a walk in the park!

We've been eyeinga move to Austin.. and have focused our search to south of the city Bordered by 71/ 290 and Barton Pool rd.my assumption is that I'll have uto work city central or just north of the city

Old 05-26-2011, 06:20 AM

310 posts, read 575,632 times
Quote:
It was horrible and I got stuck in it all the time even when I tried to avoid "rush hour" times. ... Is this normal for Austin?
Yes.

Traffic and general congestion, whether in a car, on foot, or on a bike was probably the biggest factor in my deciding to move away. It is not just during rush hour. On weekends we had to get all of our errands run by 11 am or get stuck in parking lot traffic. If you want to enjoy some of the genuinely nice places in Austin it has to be at off off peak times. The Town Lake (sorry Lady Bird was a wonderful person but a horrible name for a lake) hike and bike on the weekends is like Times Square on New Years Eve (slight hyperbole, but only slight).

Old 06-01-2011, 10:25 AM

8 posts, read 26,018 times
The key to Austin traffic is to work from home or live on the same side of the river as your job. I like to live in the city, inside mopac, i-35, south of 183, north on Ben White. Traffic isn't as bad here as a big city, it's just unpredictable and maddening because it gets so backed up during rush hour, 10 min drives turn into 45 mins. The issue is and will always be the river, there are 5 commuter bridges across it through central Austin and 2 of them, Congress and First/guadalupe end at Martin Luther King so they are useless to the Dell/Silicon Hills commuters that are heading South at 5 pm. That leaves Lamar, Mopac, and i-35 for the daily migration South and thus the headache. Heading North, 183 also becomes a daily parking lot but those people can now hop the train for an alternative to Cedar Park.

Getting to the airport is annoying b/c 71 shouldn't have the 3 lights on it but I guess city/state is too cheap to build the Riverside overpass.

Old 06-03-2011, 10:20 AM

554 posts, read 1,060,846 times
Driving at night is a blast. Everyone is home after 8pm and the roads are relatvity dead after that time.

The problem how I see it, is that too many people live the same schedule. More jobs need to be 2nd or 3rd shift. It's a ghost town after 11pm or so. I am able to bike from Highland to Tarrytown and only have about 1 car pass me late at night.

Weekends can be just as bad as weekdays during the day. And those suburb areas can often be worse than near downtown. You'll often see the feeders from I-35 looking like a parking lot for over 1/4 mile near the cross streets.

When you have nearly a 1 million population and require most of them to drive a car, you will have traffic.

Old 06-03-2011, 11:44 AM

1,445 posts, read 3,267,869 times
Most areas within central austin and downtown are extremely expensive forcing people to move out to the suburbs. The cheap gas we have makes that possible. As I have been saying for years (and most don't listen), the city of Austin has NO plans to do anything about it's infastructure. Many of it's main thoroughfares are poorly designed and need to be widened, Mopac and I-35 are complete disasters. Most other cities take a "proactive" approach, and Austin takes a NO approach. As I have said many times before, the cities MAIN focus and goals are for the whealthy that don't have to move far away from town to make a living.

The traffic will only get worse, the pollution will only get worse, the cost of central Austin living will only go higher. But hey, at least we have our Tahoes, pickups, and Longhorns. Do we really need anything else??

Quote:
Originally Posted by veloman777 View Post
Driving at night is a blast. Everyone is home after 8pm and the roads are relatvity dead after that time.

The problem how I see it, is that too many people live the same schedule. More jobs need to be 2nd or 3rd shift. It's a ghost town after 11pm or so. I am able to bike from Highland to Tarrytown and only have about 1 car pass me late at night.

Weekends can be just as bad as weekdays during the day. And those suburb areas can often be worse than near downtown. You'll often see the feeders from I-35 looking like a parking lot for over 1/4 mile near the cross streets.

When you have nearly a 1 million population and require most of them to drive a car, you will have traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin