Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 07:54 PM

115 posts, read 230,724 times

Advertisements

I am 24, was born and raised in Atlanta, and have never lived outside of Georgia. I have one more year of law school, and after I graduate (and take the GA bar), I have to get out of Georgia for a year before I start my career as a lawyer in Atlanta to (1) grow as a person and (2) have fun.

Good nightlife is an absolute must, which is why Austin is at the top of my list (also considering: San Diego, LA, Portland).

But I don't know much about Austin.

-Is it easy to meet people and make friends in Austin?

I wouldn't know a soul.

-Is the party/nightlife scene all college-dominated?

I am not sure I want to be around a bunch of college kids every weekend. I want to have the option of both a college party scene and a young professional scene. Does Austin offer that?

-What areas do young professionals live and go out in?

I would prefer to live in the dominant nightlife district for young professionals, but still be able to access the other nightlife districts.

-What's the girl-to-guy ratio in Austin?

I like to date around a lot and I am a good-looking guy, so it is very important that the ratio be near 1:1.

-What's the dominant youth culture/style in Austin?

The whole "Keep Austin Wierd" is throwing me off. What exactly do they mean by "weird"?

I ask because I am not into the hipster/alt. scene. I like jam bands, going to concerts, and celebrating 420 (), but I also dress somewhat peppy. Will I fit in in Austin?

Thanks for helping me!

-------------------

Note: I don't have to work as a lawyer and I probably won't since it would require me taking the TX bar.

Note: I plan on using city-data to narrow down my list to two cities, then visit those two cities to decide.

Young professional thinking of moving to Austin (from Atlanta)

Last edited by PeachtreeCornersMike; 05-24-2011 at 09:12 PM.. Reason: I guess since this one is already getting responses
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2011, 07:59 PM

589 posts, read 1,812,386 times
Jobs for new lawyers are scarce and nearly impossible to find.

Old 05-24-2011, 08:19 PM

2,627 posts, read 6,571,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachtreeCornersMike View Post

-What's the dominant youth culture/style in Austin?

The whole "Keep Austin Wierd" is throwing me off. What exactly do they mean by "weird"?

I ask because I am not into the hipster/alt. scene. I like jam bands, going to concerts, and celebrating 420 (), but I also dress somewhat peppy. Will I fit in in Austin?
It sounds like you need to make some visits to your top choices. With your wants, it really sounds to me like San Diego would be the best fit. Yes, the hipster/alt scene is prominent in Austin within your age group. I wouldn't make a decision without at least making a visit to San Diego first. Be sure to go out to the Gaslamp district as well as Pacific Beach as they offer the two different night life scenes that you're seeking. In my opinion, Austin is a great place to go to College and to raise a family, but that time in-between for someone in his mid 20's could be better spent in a city with a few more options.

Old 05-24-2011, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark311 View Post
It sounds like you need to make some visits to your top choices. With your wants, it really sounds to me like San Diego would be the best fit. Yes, the hipster/alt scene is prominent in Austin within your age group. I wouldn't make a decision without at least making a visit to San Diego first. Be sure to go out to the Gaslamp district as well as Pacific Beach as they offer the two different night life scenes that you're seeking. In my opinion, Austin is a great place to go to College and to raise a family, but that time in-between for someone in his mid 20's could be better spent in a city with a few more options.
As of now, based solely on research, San Diego is my top choice. I plan on using city-data to narrow down my search to two cities, then visiting those two cities to make the final decision.

This is a great post though. I am aware of both PB and Gaslamp. Is there nothing comparable in Austin?

Old 05-24-2011, 08:59 PM

2,627 posts, read 6,571,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachtreeCornersMike View Post
As of now, based solely on research, San Diego is my top choice. I plan on using city-data to narrow down my search to two cities, then visiting those two cities to make the final decision.

This is a great post though. I am aware of both PB and Gaslamp. Is there nothing comparable in Austin?
6th Street in Austin would be comparable to PB sort of, but not quite. 6th Street is a night time party area for College aged people with some older people thrown in, but it's dead during the day. The Pacific Beach/Mission Beach area is not only a College aged party area at night, but a hang-out party area for everyone during the day as you can hang out in a number of "Bar & Grill" type places on the beach all day long. You can hang out at Lake Travis for that sort of here in Austin, but it's not the same for 20-somethings. I know people that work and live in PB who almost never leave there day or night.

I guess the 4th Street to 2nd Street area would be Austin's version of Gaslamp in San Diego just a fraction of the size without the variety that the Gaslamp offers. Everything is just more centralized in San Diego. You could take a cab to Gaslamp from Pacific Beach after spending a day at the beach, but you couldn't really take a cab to or from Lake Travis from dowtown Austin where most of the bars and clubs are. There are "Gaslamp" type or equivalent restaurants/bars spread out all over North Austin as well. It's not setup to bar-hop like downtown Austin is.

Both Austin and San Diego can be enjoyable for someone in their 20's. I've spent a lot of time in L.A. as well and I saw that you mentioned it, but I could see it being a little overwhelming. I found it to be that way on occasion. I've never been to Portland, but I do know quite a few people that moved there to escape the high cost of housing in CA to start families, not single 20 somethings.

Old 05-24-2011, 09:24 PM

75 posts, read 113,649 times
Thanks for posting in this part of the forum also. Him and I are in the same boat. Both from Georgia considering Austin and SD.

I'm also a recent college grad. 23 in July. I think a visit to SD is a must. I was fortunate enough to be flown out for a company interview.

I may be flown out to Austin for another in a week or so. If I do, I'll give some feedback from a college grad perspective.

When are you planning to decide?

Old 05-24-2011, 09:38 PM

629 posts, read 1,652,803 times
It sounds like you want to take a year long vacation. Austin is a great place to live, but I don't think it would hold a vacationer's attention for that long. SD or LA might be a better fit.

On a related note, I want to take a year off.

Old 05-24-2011, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark311 View Post
6th Street in Austin would be comparable to PB sort of, but not quite. 6th Street is a night time party area for College aged people with some older people thrown in, but it's dead during the day. The Pacific Beach/Mission Beach area is not only a College aged party area at night, but a hang-out party area for everyone during the day as you can hang out in a number of "Bar & Grill" type places on the beach all day long. You can hang out at Lake Travis for that sort of here in Austin, but it's not the same for 20-somethings. I know people that work and live in PB who almost never leave there day or night.

I guess the 4th Street to 2nd Street area would be Austin's version of Gaslamp in San Diego just a fraction of the size without the variety that the Gaslamp offers. Everything is just more centralized in San Diego. You could take a cab to Gaslamp from Pacific Beach after spending a day at the beach, but you couldn't really take a cab to or from Lake Travis from dowtown Austin where most of the bars and clubs are. There are "Gaslamp" type or equivalent restaurants/bars spread out all over North Austin as well. It's not setup to bar-hop like downtown Austin is.

Both Austin and San Diego can be enjoyable for someone in their 20's. I've spent a lot of time in L.A. as well and I saw that you mentioned it, but I could see it being a little overwhelming. I found it to be that way on occasion. I've never been to Portland, but I do know quite a few people that moved there to escape the high cost of housing in CA to start families, not single 20 somethings.
Thanks for the info! Yes, I also feel that way about LA. Hell, I am even scared to post a thread in the LA forum just yet, because I am sure there will be so many different answers for such a complex city.

Old 05-24-2011, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colombiunpride View Post
Thanks for posting in this part of the forum also. Him and I are in the same boat. Both from Georgia considering Austin and SD.

I'm also a recent college grad. 23 in July. I think a visit to SD is a must. I was fortunate enough to be flown out for a company interview.

I may be flown out to Austin for another in a week or so. If I do, I'll give some feedback from a college grad perspective.

Thanks, it'd be awesome if you would be able to compare SD to Austin.

My plan is to narrow it down to two choices sometime this summer (using internet research and city-data), visit both cities in the fall, and use the visits to make a decision no later than Christmas.

I must say though, as someone who has never planned a total uprooting like this, it's really exciting.

Old 05-24-2011, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesonofgray View Post
It sounds like you want to take a year long vacation. Austin is a great place to live, but I don't think it would hold a vacationer's attention for that long. SD or LA might be a better fit.

On a related note, I want to take a year off.
I will have to work though, wherever I move. But yeah I am basically moving just to "live" for a year.

Plus, Austin was able to hold the cast of the Real World's attention (haha).

Man oh man, Melinda!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin