Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 10:42 AM

239 posts, read 518,170 times

Advertisements

Airport? You may have trouble finding (as many) direct flights (as you are used to in Boston). DH travels alot and is finding that an irritant.

Schools, family and outdoor sports - very important to Austinites. I don't care for the fact that during budget shortfalls...too quick to cut teachers while maintaining huge high school football stadiums. Cookie cutter communities, however are the norm.

Not much in culture and no professional sports.

Austin is progressive, I guess...tho you'll find mostly right wing radio. Austin IMO is a big "small" town...for someone who comes from a major metro area (and all the amenities: food, cultural events, pro sports, transportation...) you will have to do some trading down.

Be aware that Austin isn't quite the bargain that one (coming from a major metro) assumes it to be . Also, property taxes and utilities are high (and coming from a major metro area, I assumed that Austin would be a deal....not really). Higher state sales tax and fees, fees, fees on most everything. Lower your expectations if you enjoy good food (restaurants - Naively, I asked for Italian restaurant suggestions...the response? Olive Garden). As far a grocery stores are concerned - OK but somewhat disappointing, too.

You get spoiled if you have lived in a major metro area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2011, 11:06 AM

101 posts, read 218,944 times
the city is changing a lot as it grows with more resources hospitals, schools, and even culture. the airport is looking at nonstop flights to europe partly as a result of this. there are a lot of people who have moved from the northeast here including some of our friends and most of them seem to really like the lifestyle. a close friend of ours is actually from boston and lives in lakepointe

Old 05-26-2011, 11:18 AM

1,283 posts, read 2,736,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbchitown View Post
Airport? You may have trouble finding (as many) direct flights (as you are used to in Boston). DH travels alot and is finding that an irritant.

Schools, family and outdoor sports - very important to Austinites. I don't care for the fact that during budget shortfalls...too quick to cut teachers while maintaining huge high school football stadiums. Cookie cutter communities, however are the norm.

Not much in culture and no professional sports.

Austin is progressive, I guess...tho you'll find mostly right wing radio. Austin IMO is a big "small" town...for someone who comes from a major metro area (and all the amenities: food, cultural events, pro sports, transportation...) you will have to do some trading down.

Be aware that Austin isn't quite the bargain that one (coming from a major metro) assumes it to be . Also, property taxes and utilities are high (and coming from a major metro area, I assumed that Austin would be a deal....not really). Higher state sales tax and fees, fees, fees on most everything. Lower your expectations if you enjoy good food (restaurants - Naively, I asked for Italian restaurant suggestions...the response? Olive Garden). As far a grocery stores are concerned - OK but somewhat disappointing, too.

You get spoiled if you have lived in a major metro area.
For the OP, for every statement that this poster said, actually the opposite is true. Apparently, he has seen the film 'Funny People' !

Old 05-26-2011, 12:00 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,888,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobert View Post
When I moved here in 2008, it was snowing in April. The problem here is that we don't have what is normally considered "spring" in other areas of the country (even Dallas). We go from the 30-60's range to the 60-90's in a month, then hold it until August and beyond. When that change happens.. don't know. Sometime's it's March, sometimes it's May. When you look at the longterm stats, they average themselves out, so when one researches our temps, they see 50-70's average for the entire spring and think it's bliss. It seems that 80% of the time during the spring, the local weathermen say that we are 10-15 degrees hotter or colder from our "average" temperature for the day.
Usually March and April are our best months with non stop sunny and mild days. You are right, the averages belie the actuals, but that's true anywhere.

I was in Boston one August when it was 95 everyday for two weeks. That is when the average high in the summer is low 80's. I was also in Boston when during the same timeframe in August it was rainy and in the mid 60's the whole time. That is 15 degree +/- variation as well. Austin isn't the only place known for this.

Old 05-26-2011, 12:28 PM

239 posts, read 518,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImOnFiya View Post
Apparently, he has seen the film 'Funny People' !
heh, heh, oh, the irony....

Old 05-26-2011, 01:18 PM

2,627 posts, read 6,573,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImOnFiya View Post
For the OP, for every statement that this poster said, actually the opposite is true. Apparently, he has seen the film 'Funny People' !
There are some points that were made that very well could be true depending on the person's expectations and what their wants are. For example, the good food comment. Being from San Diego, I value good Mexican food and Austin definitely has that. I almost never eat Italian food, but apparently that is something that is important to a lot of people from the NorthEast. If Austin didn't have good Mexican food in abundance, I'd be disappointed myself.

It's true that schools, family, and outdoor sports are important to Austinites. There aren't any professional sports. I never made it out to a lot of professional sporting events myself even when I lived in a city where I could, but if it's important to someone, then that's something that Austin is lacking for that person.

The "bargain" point is an interesting one. My opinion is that it's definitely a bargain for some people, but it's not for others. Again, it depends on what's important to a person or family and where they're coming from. I personally think that Austin suburbs are a bargain for the quality schools and safety as long as you're cool with cookie cutter homes and you want a large home under $300K (or a smaller home under $160K). When you add on a bunch of wants that are typically found in a more urban city, even if you are willing to up your price range to $500K, you don't get the same bargain or value right now in 2011.

I love the Austin area for everything that I get in my housing price range (under $250K), but I'm not sure that it would be my top choice if I was able to spend $400K or $500K on a home.

Old 05-26-2011, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark311 View Post
I love the Austin area for everything that I get in my housing price range (under $250K), but I'm not sure that it would be my top choice if I was able to spend $400K or $500K on a home.
I'm not quite sure if people choose what city of live just based on an income range ($400-500/k)?

However, the OP needs to come down and visit and find out for himself.

Old 05-26-2011, 02:07 PM

293 posts, read 730,397 times
What? Whenever you see someone make a moving decision regarding cost of housing/living that is based on their income range.

Old 05-26-2011, 03:01 PM

2,596 posts, read 5,581,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDG View Post
- Coming from an area that is rich in culture but also in professional sports, Dad is concerned that he'll be stuck in small town suburban collegeville. So how progressive is Austin?
Austin is a wonderful place to raise a family. It is a lovely place to live in general. It does tend to be "cookie cutter" in many places. The exotic houses and trend-setting type stuff tends to happen only in a few small neighborhoods, and those are pricey. Chances are good that you'll consider most houses pretty cookie cutter.

I would not call us rich in culture compared to other cities. Our culture centers a lot around BBQ, relaxing, etc. It is not a cultural mecca. It is a college town. It is somewhat progressive, but I agree with those who say that's mainly in comparison to the rest of Texas. There are plenty of conservative people here. It's not San Francisco. We are not a town rich in professional sports.

Old 05-26-2011, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spelrod View Post
What? Whenever you see someone make a moving decision regarding cost of housing/living that is based on their income range.
We have houses and apartments from $120k - million dollars plus (as does nearly every other major metropolitan area in the US)? Now, I know you know this...so, what are you saying? Please clarify...if.you.can!

_ _ _ _ _
You're smart, but you're not that smart. You're slippin'!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin