Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2011, 10:40 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,880,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdu View Post
I love the OP's irony.
So hipster of him/her
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2011, 10:42 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,880,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eepstein View Post
Once again, Austin is considered "trendy" because the city media marketing campaign is doing a bang up job nationally, and probably even internationally to some degree. No question about it. The problem with a nearly 2 decade old campaign of lies and untruths, is that it quickly goes to people's heads who decide to make the move. That is what makes Austin such as arrogant town.

The fact remains that Austin is a COLLEGE town and the capital of Texas. It was never meant to be anything more than those two things. Because of the successful campaigns that the city has provided with YOUR TAX DOLLARS (mind you), is why this place is so out of control with growth.

I have never understood how so many people could take so much pride in a "city" that offers so little overall. Austin is the only example of a metro area (that I know of) that is essentially trying to maintain 1.6 million people (and growing) within an infastructure designed for MAYBE half a million.

If someone wants to compare Austin to other "college towns" like Madison or Boulder, fine. But comparing Austin to other mega cities like Dallas, Houston, and San Antonio, just can't be done in reality. There is simply no comparison. Dallas, Houston, and San Antonio are all REAL CITIES. Austin is a college town, that thinks its a real city and has trained it's residents to believe that it is.
If the Austin city media marketers are so good, then don't you think Houston, the 4th largest city, would have sweetened the pot for those marketers and lured them to Houston to promote their city?

Old 06-13-2011, 10:43 AM

804 posts, read 1,964,241 times
Having lived in Austin for years, I have watched the same changes occur and agree with the OP's observations.

Old 06-19-2011, 05:57 AM

11 posts, read 45,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by intmd8r View Post
I don't know where Lake Charles is, but it doesn't really sound like a large city or metropolitan area, which is what (at least I) was referring to and G Grasshopper was replying to.

I'm quite certain there are lots of small/smaller towns that are still stuck in the past.
Lake Charles is in southwest Louisiana, about 50 miles east of Beaumont, TX, on IH-10 and US 90, and has a population of 71,000.

Old 06-19-2011, 11:01 PM

288 posts, read 717,013 times
People ask me if I like living in Austin. I don't know yet. I've been here 4 years.

I think I would need to make a list of likes/dislikes, pros/cons, and then decide. In fact, I will start making this list right now as I am planning to move. The main reason is climate. I sorely miss the change of seasons. I love real Autumn weather. I want to live near mountains and forests and so forth.

The main reason for me moving here is that the tiny town I was living in in Virginia had NOTHING going on and so I thought Austin would be a great place for a single guy, but I've had zero luck dating. It's so hard to meet someone. I think I could meet someone anywhere near or in a big city and so I might as well move to where I enjoy the climate as well.

Perhaps I will post the list later some time :-)

Old 06-20-2011, 07:14 AM

1,445 posts, read 3,267,006 times
Houston doesn't have to promote itself and really doesn't much more than any other big city. It's known internationally as a worldwide business center with very afforable housing and a relatively low unemployment rate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
If the Austin city media marketers are so good, then don't you think Houston, the 4th largest city, would have sweetened the pot for those marketers and lured them to Houston to promote their city?

Old 06-20-2011, 09:16 AM

285 posts, read 567,753 times
Quote:
If someone wants to compare Austin to other "college towns" like Madison or Boulder, fine. But comparing Austin to other mega cities like Dallas, Houston, and San Antonio, just can't be done in reality. There is simply no comparison. Dallas, Houston, and San Antonio are all REAL CITIES. Austin is a college town, that thinks its a real city and has trained it's residents to believe that it is.
The way you speak of Austin, you'd think city leaders - using techniques unbeknown to even the CIA - have obtained absolute control over public perception through a totalitarian propaganda campaign. In reality, it sounds like you are a total sucker that bought into hype and came to Austin without doing your own research - and now you are bitter and unwilling to take responsibility for your own choice.

In any case, given that Austin has a GMP comparable to or greater than a "real city" like San Antonio, and a population fast-approaching 2 million people - I don't care how much you hate it, or how much it doesn't look or "feel" like one to you - it's a real city. Doesn't mean it's a big one like Dallas or Houston, of course, but one can simply no longer call Austin a "college town," even if many people there cling to that bygone notion.

Uninformed arguments on the basis of "infrastructure" or "drunk college kids" are meaningless compared to the bigger picture which I alluded to above, i.e., population and economy.

Old 07-19-2011, 12:44 AM

404 posts, read 712,000 times
My good friend has lived in Austin for 5 years or so. His lease was up in June and it took him 50 agonizing days to find a new place to live. Apparently the apartment finder services told him that the current occupancy rates are at record highs. He signed a lease at the only place he could find within his price range that wasn't too crappy, and its on the complete other side of town and now has to transfer from his job (Starbucks)

Anywayz, we got to talking and he said this is his last year in Austin. He's moving to Oregon. I've been thinkin about checking out the Carolinas.

Austin has friendly people, good food, lots of venues, etc. The heat, drought, apartment prices/availability, population influx and the tight job market... many people are talking about leaving. Problem solved?

Old 07-19-2011, 07:20 AM

1,445 posts, read 3,267,006 times
Most people living in Austin are in denial of all the citys problems. They don't care to admit anything negative about the city because I guess that shows a sign of weakness or something. It must be a Texas pride thing. Since Austin is the capitol and epicenter of Texas, it needs to keep the pride thing alive. Or something like that

Crime is rising, gridlock is increasing, homes are becoming less and less affordable, suburbs are sprawling out further and further. But, it's really NOT happening!!! If I don't look, it won't happen......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredding_Gnar78 View Post
My good friend has lived in Austin for 5 years or so. His lease was up in June and it took him 50 agonizing days to find a new place to live. Apparently the apartment finder services told him that the current occupancy rates are at record highs. He signed a lease at the only place he could find within his price range that wasn't too crappy, and its on the complete other side of town and now has to transfer from his job (Starbucks)

Anywayz, we got to talking and he said this is his last year in Austin. He's moving to Oregon. I've been thinkin about checking out the Carolinas.

Austin has friendly people, good food, lots of venues, etc. The heat, drought, apartment prices/availability, population influx and the tight job market... many people are talking about leaving. Problem solved?

Old 07-19-2011, 08:57 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,048,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Quote:
Houston doesn't have to promote itself and really doesn't much more than any other big city. It's known internationally as a worldwide business center with very afforable housing and a relatively low unemployment rate.
Exactly. Apparently, they don't need to.

When it comes to population growth, Houston is No. 1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin