Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 06:03 PM

399 posts, read 970,626 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure where I'd move, but if I ever leave Austin, I will also leave Texas. I'd move to the east coast without hesitation if it wasn't for the weather. I might whine about 110 degree heat, but I can tolerate it; I can't tolerate cold, and could never live someplace where I had to shovel snow even a little bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2011, 06:59 PM

1,179 posts, read 2,054,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mintjulep View Post
I'm not sure where I'd move, but if I ever leave Austin, I will also leave Texas. I'd move to the east coast without hesitation if it wasn't for the weather. I might whine about 110 degree heat, but I can tolerate it; I can't tolerate cold, and could never live someplace where I had to shovel snow even a little bit.
I used to live in the upper peninsula of MI. The scenery is good, the people are good, the cost of living is low like TX but the winters are white and long. NYC and Boston don't get much snow and don't get very cold. After living in the UP of MI I would have to move to Alaska to be impressed with cold weather. I could handle the northeast very easily after living in the UP. People that have never lived up north like I have I can see how they don't like cold weather. I can handle it either way. Up north or down south.

Old 09-18-2011, 07:25 PM

464 posts, read 828,747 times
Cool Tough Texan Theory....2 cute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImOnFiya View Post
Because of the people, the atmosphere, or is it retirement? Personally, I don't get the complaining...sorry, I was raised Texan. Deal with it, solve it, or don't talk. Texans are resilient, tough, and not whiny.

Don't start now.
Oh my...I'm hearing fightin' words there, partner. Perhaps some just need a change and are in fact resilient, tough, not whiny and just lookin' for that cha-cha-change. So does your 'tough Texan theory' apply only to native Texans or include those too that are proud to call TX home?

Old 09-18-2011, 07:32 PM

464 posts, read 828,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mintjulep View Post
lol 112 here in AZ is finally coming to an end. We've done the midwest winters and they are beautiful for the first few months but like all seasonal changes, you look forward to the next, unless you are an avid outdoorsperson.

Old 09-18-2011, 08:37 PM

3,576 posts, read 2,168,025 times
I have moved most of my life hubby was in the military and I can tell you from experience that no matter where you live, you have to make it work or you will always find reasons to move and never be really happy anywhere you live. It will always be the last place I lived was better because...and the new place I am going to will be better because....its simply human nature. Why not instead try to change the very things you dislike happening to Austin rather than move . Just my opinion Good luck!

Old 09-18-2011, 09:07 PM

541 posts, read 938,621 times
Chicago or Boston

Old 09-19-2011, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cp102 View Post
I have moved most of my life hubby was in the military and I can tell you from experience that no matter where you live, you have to make it work or you will always find reasons to move and never be really happy anywhere you live. It will always be the last place I lived was better because...and the new place I am going to will be better because....its simply human nature. Why not instead try to change the very things you dislike happening to Austin rather than move . Just my opinion Good luck!
You're exactly right. On City-Data there are tons of people that think NYC is the best place on Earth. All my life I've been meeting people that used to live there and they say they hated the place and it's the worst place on Earth. That just proves that no place is heaven and every place has its problems.

Benjamin Franklin once said that if you didn't like the last place you won't like the next place either. He was a smart man. That means it's the person and not the place. A place is what you make it. If you're pessimistic every place sucks. If you're a positive person then every place you live is good. If you're pessimistic you won't like the winters in the north and the summers in the south. You won't like the cost of living in SF and NYC. You won't like the earthquakes in California.

Old 09-19-2011, 01:21 AM

288 posts, read 715,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo2008 View Post
You're exactly right. On City-Data there are tons of people that think NYC is the best place on Earth. All my life I've been meeting people that used to live there and they say they hated the place and it's the worst place on Earth. That just proves that no place is heaven and every place has its problems.

Benjamin Franklin once said that if you didn't like the last place you won't like the next place either. He was a smart man. That means it's the person and not the place. A place is what you make it. If you're pessimistic every place sucks. If you're a positive person then every place you live is good. If you're pessimistic you won't like the winters in the north and the summers in the south. You won't like the cost of living in SF and NYC. You won't like the earthquakes in California.
Good post! I do think this is true to an extent. However, I also believe that one's environment does have a strong impact on one's quality of life. Environment could include climate, roommates, housing location, people you interact with every day, etc. Climate is something I would move for. It's just too hot here for me. I am from the NE and can handle snow just fine, and rather enjoy colder weather. Debating whether to move sometime in the future. I agree that it is oneself that needs to be happy but one's environment can have a strong influence. Making a few changes, and perhaps even moving can help make a better life.

However, while on this earth there will always be something to complain about. It's difficult to find that perfect place.

Old 09-19-2011, 01:22 AM

404 posts, read 709,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredding_Gnar78 View Post
. I love the lush green landscape, beautiful red and blue birds, downtown events, great food, and job opportunities.

LOL at my OP. THAT WAS JUST 4 MONTHS AGO! LOLOLOL

Fast forward to now: the end of summer. This place bone dry. It turns out that my first Texas summer (2010) was abnormally cool and wet compared to this one. The rainclouds tease us with a few drops here and there. Its like Texas is saying "I'll rain when I damn well please"

Secondly, I've yet to find a great job. Its been 18 months and three subpar jobs later... I always hear the same thing from recruiters.. "we got hundreds of applicants". Sign of the times nationally I guess. Of course I realize the need to work on my own skillset though.

Anywayz, some great suggestions here. Our plan is to wait until the lease is up next July, put our stuff in storage... visit 3 or 4 cities, and then either stay or go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo2008 View Post

I totally agree with this. Good things/bad things are everywhere. One cannot run from inherent challenges that life presents. HOWEVER, just like San Diego (my original home), Austin is just a fraction of this world.
Why not scope out other places to live?

There are a lot of very unbiased reasons to not settle in Austin, but my biggies are a)climate change and fires, b) property taxes, c) population influx, d) looking for work, e) being able to grow food, especially when commodities keep going up.

Old 09-20-2011, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutumnTraveler View Post
Good post! I do think this is true to an extent. However, I also believe that one's environment does have a strong impact on one's quality of life. Environment could include climate, roommates, housing location, people you interact with every day, etc. Climate is something I would move for. It's just too hot here for me. I am from the NE and can handle snow just fine, and rather enjoy colder weather. Debating whether to move sometime in the future. I agree that it is oneself that needs to be happy but one's environment can have a strong influence. Making a few changes, and perhaps even moving can help make a better life.

However, while on this earth there will always be something to complain about. It's difficult to find that perfect place.
Yeah I agree. Climate and cost of living, etc. are definitely important. I was just saying that no place is perfect and if you don't see out the positives you won't like any place. We're all victims of the same game. We have to work all the time, do lots of things we don't like to do because survival forces us to. Yeah I hate hot weather too. I live in Houston where there's lots of heat and humidity six months out of the year. The positives of Houston and TX in general is low cost of living and good job market compared to most places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin