U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-06-2011, 09:11 PM

1,026 posts, read 1,130,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marq View Post
Hate to say this, but I agree. Austin of today is NOT the Austin I knew 30 years ago - and that's a real shame.
I didn't know Austin 30 years ago. I arrived in 2001, and as far as I am concerned, Austin in 2011 is WAY WAY better than Austin in 2001. In 2001, once you were off East 6th and parts of west 4th, downtown was mostly a garbage strewn collection of empty parking lots. It is now the only truly residentially viable downtown in Texas. The food scene is unrecognizably better in every way and at every price point. There are way more and way better farmer's markets. The food trailer explosion has proliferated excellent cheap eats from west African cuisine to pan-Asian with almost everything in between. I would put Austin's truck/trailer food scene second only to L.A. Similarly, fine dining options are so superior in quality, variety and quantity to what they were just 10 years ago. Austin has a bunch of rising star nationally acclaimed chef-owned restaurants - some homegrown, some imports, and they are now a few dozen bartenders who can make an excellent cocktail that isn't a margarita. Many restaurants are finally taking advantage of the long growing season in Central Texas, and there is a burgeoning locavore scene. When I first got here, I could not understand why Austin had such great produce and supermarkets and so many bad restaurants.

Almost every other amenity has improved as well. In the Blanton, Austin now has a respectable art museum. The Long Centre is arguably the greenest world class performing arts centre in the nation. Despite the efforts of Jeff Jack and the nimbys of the ANC, the live music scene thrives. Hippy Austin still lives in pockets all over the city, as does slacker Austin. Let the yuppies have the Domain and the Triangle, the Bobos South Congress and the Hipsters the near East side. Traffic may be a little worse, but the hills and the lakes are still here. The suburban sprawl is regrettable, but within Austin City Limits ( to borrow a phrase) the city is only getting better.

Personally, I wish Austin had better public transport, a bigger black middle-class, cooler summer weather and decent pizza, and then I would probably never think of leaving.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2011, 10:32 PM

1,938 posts, read 3,870,464 times
Prior to our move to Seattle in July 2007 after almost 12 years in TX (10 in ATX), our list was Seattle, Portland or back to Denver. Seattle won due to the best job offers and proximity to mtns and ocean.

Austin has changed a lot from my perspective. I was back in Austin last week and sadly enough, I barely recognized downtown!! I have been back in July 2008, February 2010 and May 2011...it has changed immensely just in that short time. And from 1996 when I first moved there...parts of town are unrecognizable!

And as far as the marketing of Austin goes, I meet people who have never even been to Austin who say "Oh, I love Austin" when it comes up in conversation. Now that is successful marketing!

Old 06-07-2011, 12:44 AM

268 posts, read 265,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texastrigirl View Post
Prior to our move to Seattle in July 2007 after almost 12 years in TX (10 in ATX), our list was Seattle, Portland or back to Denver. Seattle won due to the best job offers and proximity to mtns and ocean.

Austin has changed a lot from my perspective. I was back in Austin last week and sadly enough, I barely recognized downtown!! I have been back in July 2008, February 2010 and May 2011...it has changed immensely just in that short time. And from 1996 when I first moved there...parts of town are unrecognizable!

And as far as the marketing of Austin goes, I meet people who have never even been to Austin who say "Oh, I love Austin" when it comes up in conversation. Now that is successful marketing!

Yup, it has changed, also if you didn't know it was sad to see a oldie restaurant close it's doors.

I am sure they'll tear down this building soon to put up more $300k condos

Spaghetti Warehouse leaving after 36 yrs

Spaghetti Warehouse leaving after 36 yrs | KXAN.com

Old 06-07-2011, 02:27 AM

2,059 posts, read 1,972,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_Barton View Post
Yup, it has changed, also if you didn't know it was sad to see a oldie restaurant close it's doors.

Ugh... I never liked Spaghetti Warehouse... my brother always went there when he was visiting from Houston and I never understood why. Isn't it a chain? I mean... if you're visiting another city, I've never understood why people visit places they'll find in their own city. Visit the local restaurants! Hopefully they'll put in something very good and worthwhile because that is a prime spot!

Old 06-07-2011, 02:30 AM

2,059 posts, read 1,972,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80SC View Post
christarocks:

Do you really find Austin "trendy"?

Personally, I find it bland, one-dimensional, severely lacking in culture/diversity, and very boring. I have determined that it's just not conductive long-term as a place for me to build a solid career or establish a life for myself.

I'll be heading back to Dallas as soon as reasonably possible.
IF people from other parts of the country read this post... they would smirk a little. Dallas is a great city don't get me wrong... but Austin is waaaaaay more trendy than Dallas. Weird how people are complaining about Austin's yuppies... but somehow Dallas gets the okay? weird

Old 06-10-2011, 09:59 AM

769 posts, read 859,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_Barton View Post

Dang it. In all of my years in Austin, I always planned to go, but I never did. 17 years of procrastination....lol.

Old 06-10-2011, 11:24 AM

1,448 posts, read 1,766,409 times
Once again, Austin is considered "trendy" because the city media marketing campaign is doing a bang up job nationally, and probably even internationally to some degree. No question about it. The problem with a nearly 2 decade old campaign of lies and untruths, is that it quickly goes to people's heads who decide to make the move. That is what makes Austin such as arrogant town.

The fact remains that Austin is a COLLEGE town and the capital of Texas. It was never meant to be anything more than those two things. Because of the successful campaigns that the city has provided with YOUR TAX DOLLARS (mind you), is why this place is so out of control with growth.

I have never understood how so many people could take so much pride in a "city" that offers so little overall. Austin is the only example of a metro area (that I know of) that is essentially trying to maintain 1.6 million people (and growing) within an infastructure designed for MAYBE half a million.

If someone wants to compare Austin to other "college towns" like Madison or Boulder, fine. But comparing Austin to other mega cities like Dallas, Houston, and San Antonio, just can't be done in reality. There is simply no comparison. Dallas, Houston, and San Antonio are all REAL CITIES. Austin is a college town, that thinks its a real city and has trained it's residents to believe that it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
What is trendy about Austin? The BBQ, the hills, the grungy Mexican neighborhoods, grungy UT Austin, smelly 6th street, ?

Old 06-10-2011, 11:24 AM
gdu

229 posts, read 341,828 times
I love the OP's irony.

Old 06-10-2011, 12:17 PM

268 posts, read 373,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annabellavampirella View Post
Austin Native here and I watched Austin go from a one horse town to a vibrant little city. I think a lot of it was Public Relations matched with a vast amount of undeveloped land along Bee Caves. There are still roads for developments never realized. Developers from other states had $$$ in their eyes. I remember being horrified at all the million dollar remodels off of Enfield, an area I rented affordably in the 70s. So this is nothing new.

I moved to Kansas City for my husbands job, and I love my old midtown neighborhood with it's vigorous four seasons. We live in a 100yr old house and can walk to everything. BUT we chose that location for those reasons. The real estate is cheaper but it balances out with the taxes. If we moved back to Austin not sure where I'd like to live, possibly Mueller.

I watched both 360 and Mopac being built and thought 183 was never going to be finished. But I'm seeing some of the small businesses being eaten alive due to greed. That's what I'd watch out about and keep a keen eye to prevent.

The Parlour on North Loop is closing because the landlord raised the rent by a high margin. That was a small special dive to eat local pizza and listen to local bands. Remember the fight to keep the frog on the wall on Guadelupe because it was always there? Also on Oltorf and Lamar another mural was painted over with a Rum ad. Those are the small changes that if you blink and eye you won't notice, but as a whole takes away the identity that is Austin.

My daughter still lives there and working at one of the new small businesses heading to East Austin to survive. Hearts and Robots Salon. I am wondering about East Austin and how it's going to accept the fruits of gentrification without losing it's positive points of identity. Neighborhood identity will have to fight and be careful how much of it's soul it wants to lose. I hope better education and infrastructure comes with the gentrification of East Austin without flushing out it's original residents. Cuernavaca/Westlake tried to flush out the original mobil home establishment that was there first before the McMansions.

Austin has always had a problem with infrastructure. Tourists would come downtown with no place to park and get towed. You can take busses north and south but it's still difficult to go west to east. The train doesn't run late enough for the many people that work after 5pm hours of 6th Steet. Public transportation is what other cities like Chicago, San Francisco, NYC and Portland have over Austin.

But I DO miss the food .... KC's BBQ is not my taste, but I keep it to myself hehehhe. I do think there is a vibrancy in Austin that I can't pinpoint. But for as Artsy as Austin has a reputation, it's mostly the private underground scene that's bubbling. The Salon/Coffee/Restaurant art scene is more vibrant. I DO like the public ART in Kansas City and volunteer with the Nelson Atkins Museum. That FAIL under the railroad bridge on Lamar still makes me laugh. Hopefully with the new high rises with come better public art.

So far I'm OK with Kansas City, we have a new Mayor and that could be good. They've had a rough time with the Economy. I like snow and tree-lined streets and the quaintness of Westport. They have plenty of live music and things Austin has it's just not as spontaneous and it's spread out all over the sprawl. The weather wouldn't support a year round Lunch Cart environment.

Yeah the old Austin was charming but jobs were just as tight. If you didn't work for UT, the State or maybe Texas Instruments you kind of floundered. That was before all the high tech now, although it's questionable about DELL with it's revolving door of hires and lay offs.

I hope the residents new and old KEEP AUSTIN WEIRD....
KC is soso - the 1% city tax was annoying considering how bad the crime is...

Old 06-10-2011, 01:50 PM

25,170 posts, read 34,080,293 times
lol Austin is more like a very large Denton, Texas. That isn't saying much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eepstein View Post

If someone wants to compare Austin to other "college towns" like Madison or Boulder, fine. But comparing Austin to other mega cities like Dallas, Houston, and San Antonio, just can't be done in reality. There is simply no comparison. Dallas, Houston, and San Antonio are all REAL CITIES. Austin is a college town, that thinks its a real city and has trained it's residents to believe that it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin