Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 10:49 AM

37 posts, read 95,708 times

Advertisements

Moved here from Chicago and having serious pizza withdrawal. Can you tell me your favorite pizza place in town, preferably one that delivers within Central Austin. And please no Rounders, Mangia, Austin Pizza as we tried and were dissapointed with those. The best pizza I had in Austin was a food truck at the New Year's Eve celebration at Audotorium Shores but they seem to be catering only.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2011, 10:55 AM

2,238 posts, read 8,992,402 times
You won't find either Chicago deep dish or thin pizza in Austin. So don't bother comparing it to that.

IMO, in order:
Spartan Pizza
Frank & Angie's
House Pizzeria
Home Slice
Eastside Pies
Tony C's

Edit: just read about central and delivery. Tony C's is out in Bee Caves so nix it. None of the better pizza joints deliver as far as I know. Maybe Eastside Pies does but I'm not sure.

Old 05-27-2011, 11:19 AM

732 posts, read 2,119,898 times
I like pizza. I don't care if it is deep dish, thin NY style, or whatever. If it is good I like it. Since I have lived here I have tried several places. I will list them here in order of best to worst. Whenever I try a new place I just get a pepperoni because if you can't do a regular pepperoni pizza right there is not much hope for you.

Homeslice - NY style. Just plain good.
Mangia - Deep dish.
Domenicks - Reminds me of mid atlantic beach pizza.
Reales - More NY'y than Domenicks but tied in taste.
Marco's - I probably won't crave them but I'll get it again to mix things up.
Gatti's - Somewhat generic but nothing offensive about the taste. Good prices and not too greasy.
Sacconnes - Not bad but I guess forgettable since it took someone mentioning it to remind me I had it. I do remember it was expensive.
Yaghis - Not bad, but I wouldn't bother getting it again.
Brooklyn Heights - Way too greasy. Nothing special. Will not get again.
Mangeries - Terrible sauce, bland everything else.
House Pizza - Bad pizza and was a hipster hang out at least that night.
Conan's - Can you give me a hand so I can give this three thumbs down?

Last edited by sinking; 05-27-2011 at 11:36 AM..

Old 05-27-2011, 11:26 AM

20 posts, read 78,410 times
For a thicker crust my favorite pizza is The Parlor on Guadalupe and 43rd.
For a thinner crust you can't beat House Pizza at Airport and 42nd(?).

Neither deliver.

Best delivery for my wife and I are East Side Pies.

Honorable mention is Brick Oven but I don't know if they deliver.

Old 05-27-2011, 11:34 AM

554 posts, read 1,741,959 times
Many claim homeslice is the best pizza in Austin and its good but quite franky nothing special. I haven't found a real favorite yet but I'm also looking for suggestions so I will certainly check this thread again later.

Saccones is pretty good but not great. I like Double Daves pepperoni rolls and their pizza is also decent similar style to Austins though. Niki's isnt very good. Have tried a few others that dont come to mind immediately in NW Austin/ Cedar Park probably not worth mentioning,

Old 05-27-2011, 12:16 PM
hlk

24 posts, read 42,876 times
Backspace, downtown. Not a delivery type place, but fantastic, traditional Italian-style pizza.

Old 05-27-2011, 12:17 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,811,245 times
I think Hoboken Pies does NYC style better than Homeslice. But I like them both.

Not everyone cares for NYC style, though.. so you kind of have different "best pizzas" depending on what the style is. The previous poster mentioned Pepperoni Rolls from Double Dave's or Austin's Pizza -- those are worth getting, even if you don't like their pizza.

If you aren't looking for east coast style, or Chicago style, or any other style.. Southside Flying Pizza and Craig-Os are good.

Old 05-27-2011, 12:25 PM

1,430 posts, read 2,365,825 times
Conan's for deep dish.
The Parlor for regular.

Old 05-27-2011, 12:43 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,086,236 times
I didn't realize there were so many places in Austin that serve NY style pizza. I'm surprised other posters said Saccones is good but not that great. I was stuck on Saccones because it's not too far from me, and I love their Margherita and (I think it's called) George's Special. I tried Frank and Angie's for the first time a few weeks ago, and I was pleasantly pleased. And wow....there's even a placed called Hoboken Pies in Austin. Definitely will try them.

Old 05-27-2011, 01:21 PM

16 posts, read 37,971 times
Hoboken pie is the best. Don't listen to the homeslice / southside pie fanatics. Trendy does not equal good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin