Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 11:49 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,633,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
3. Do the tollway agencies bill you at the address your car is registered at? Or do you need something similiar to a tolltag, like Dallas has?
Yes, to both . If you do not have a tag, they send you a bill plus a small surcharge (maybe $0.35 per booth? not sure). If you have a tag, they just take the actual fee (no surcharge) off the balance.

Old 06-02-2011, 01:59 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,550,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasdee View Post
Thanks! This is some great information.

A few more questions to anyone on the forum:
1. Do you think auto insurance would be cheaper in Williamson county vs. Travis County?
2. Do you know some zip codes that a single woman should avoid, or high crime areas, or else a link to research that myself?

3. Do the tollway agencies bill you at the address your car is registered at? Or do you need something similiar to a tolltag, like Dallas has?
Sounds like you are good to go if you have the TollTag...
From the Texas Tollways site:
Toll roads throughout Texas accept TxTag. As long as you have sufficient funds in your TxTag account, you may use TxTag on most toll roads in Texas. The Dallas-area TollTag and Houston-area EZ TAG are also accepted on Texas Tollways.

Old 06-04-2011, 09:29 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,108,718 times
This is a relocation thread, not a personal issues advice column. If you don't have a recommendation of PLACES that directly answers the questions in the OP, you don't need to reply.

Old 06-04-2011, 05:59 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,108,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
This is a relocation thread, not a personal issues advice column. If you don't have a recommendation of PLACES that directly answers the questions in the OP, you don't need to reply.
Second warning, since some posters of deleted posts missed it.

Old 06-06-2011, 08:31 PM

308 posts, read 600,425 times
'Father I have sinned, please...................................

Old 06-06-2011, 09:51 PM

231 posts, read 813,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasdee View Post
It's almost here! After two years of living in Dallas, I am starting a new chapter of my life by enrolling in graduate school at Texas State University. I will have to move to the Austin area, and I am happy to do so. In Dallas, I have encountered far too many extreme christians and religion is mentioned too frequently for my taste, especially at work. Perhaps the fact that I left the church 3 years ago is plastered on my forehead--haha.
I hear that Austin is the best place in Texas for non-christians. I would like some advice on where to go to avoid having religion shoved down my throat. Here's some about my scenario, along with some questions:
1. I am 30 and a single white female.
2. I will be attending the Round Rock campus for my first year, and then the San Marcos campus for my second year.
3. I love to workout, so I'd like to be as close as possible to a state of the art gym.
4. I never was into the bar or club scene and I don't drink. I do like sports bars and comedy clubs.
5. I want to get more into some outdoor activities and I welcome suggestions on what is fun to do.
6. How is the dating scene in Austin for a 30 yr. old fairly attractive swf? Will I find many single agnostic and atheist guys who keep themselves in shape? Where do I go to meet them? I have been to Austin, and I definitely get approached there more than in Dallas. I'm just apprehensive about meeting someone in traffic, like I have in Austin...
7. I will have to lease an apartment, but I am torn between renting from an apartment complex and renting from a private-owner. Which is better in Austin?
8. Would it be better to move in October as opposed to August? I thought I could get a better deal on remaining apartments if I moved in October.
9. Which suburb would be best for me? I'd love to avoid christians as much as possible, but also live somewhere as quiet as possible so that I can have time for my studies. I really don't want to live around families with children, as kids seem to be way louder and out of control than they were when I was growing up. (Now I know I'm old--lol) I want to have easy access to 35, a gym, and a Costco!
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, I would love encouragement from someone who has experienced both Dallas and Austin-- to tell me that Austin will be the answer for me.
If you would have posted this before applying to grad schools, I would have told you to simply leave Texas. You do know that you are in a conservative state, don't you?

Old 06-07-2011, 10:00 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,059,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGuy22 View Post
If you would have posted this before applying to grad schools, I would have told you to simply leave Texas. You do know that you are in a conservative state, don't you?
A person can be a conservative without being religious. And there are plenty of people in Austin that will make the OP feel at home without trying to convert her. Religion rarely comes up where I live in SW Austin.

Old 06-07-2011, 10:04 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
How is it that I have managed to live here (Dallas area) for over 20 years and have never been accosted by churchies? It's so weird to hear comments about that.

Old 06-07-2011, 10:09 AM

1,445 posts, read 3,267,869 times
OMG, really? Dallas really isn't the podunk joke of a city that Austinites claim it is??

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
How is it that I have managed to live here (Dallas area) for over 20 years and have never been accosted by churchies? It's so weird to hear comments about that.

Old 06-07-2011, 10:32 AM

231 posts, read 813,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I have visited Dallas and never felt how the OP feels about Dallas, then again I was just visiting 4-5 days. I have visited other parts of the country and instantly felt the city was conservative/religious. I have friends that live in Dallas and they have NEVER described Dallas the way the OP has and they are very liberal people from CA. My guess is that the OP is a hardcore atheist that can't stand the site of churches and is probably disgusted with others talking about religion.

Maybe she wants to find a perfect utopian setting where she is surrounded by atheists which is fine but looking for that in TX, just doesn't sound logical. I know there are parts of Austin that are liberal etc. This must not have been 1# priority as she picked grad school in TX over being surrounded by others who think like her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin