Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 10:21 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,328,014 times

Advertisements

I lived in Dallas 4 years before moving to Austin for 5 years and there is a HUGE difference. People who say there isn't must not be very sensitive to heat/humidity. I still remember walking up the street on the UT campus and having this thought...18 years ago: "Wow...I'm going to have to shower twice a day."

I have spent a lot of time in Houston, as well, and one thing that makes Houston stand out for me in terms of humidity is that it is still humid in the winter. WTF is that? Austin in the winter usually means crisp, sunny days...Houston meant having bad hair days in the part of the year I was used to being exempt from that.

My thought when I was in El Paso for our first summer there..."Wow...the shade actually works!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2011, 04:51 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,879,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishlover View Post
I agree with you for the most part. Anytime I've debated this topic with friends in Austin or our neighbors in Burnet they make the Austin area out to be like Denver Colorado or even Amarillo which it is NOT. And, I think the Houston and Austin climes are so close to the same the differences are negligible. If I want a less humid climate (which I don't) I will relocate to Denver or Albuquerque...NOT Austin.

Just trying to call a spade a spade
And I disagree, the differences to me feel substantial. Are you trying to debate my opinion that I feel more comfortable in Austin than Houston?

Old 05-31-2011, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I lived in Dallas 4 years before moving to Austin for 5 years and there is a HUGE difference. People who say there isn't must not be very sensitive to heat/humidity. I still remember walking up the street on the UT campus and having this thought...18 years ago: "Wow...I'm going to have to shower twice a day."

I have spent a lot of time in Houston, as well, and one thing that makes Houston stand out for me in terms of humidity is that it is still humid in the winter. WTF is that? Austin in the winter usually means crisp, sunny days...Houston meant having bad hair days in the part of the year I was used to being exempt from that.

My thought when I was in El Paso for our first summer there..."Wow...the shade actually works!"
I actually like the humidity in Houston in the winter but I suffer from dry skin. I love those days when the humidity is so high that all surfaces are wet even though it's not raining. One day of that and my skin is soft as a baby's bottom. Louisiana had that too. Oh, and there are some crisp days in Houston in the winter too.

Give me humidity in the winter and no humidity in the summer. I find Houston winters far better than Austin winters. Our spring, summer, and fall are many times better though.

Old 05-31-2011, 05:07 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,043,113 times
.............AUSTIN............................... .........................HOUSTON

Lower wind speeds also make Houston more uncomfortable

Another factor you need to consider about Houston is the rainfall intensity, which results in more frequent flooding in Houston. Houston holds the record for maximum rainfall intensity in the United States. That is the maximum amount of rainfall in a short period of time. Even more so then most parts of Florida or the East Coast which get more hurricanes. Houston is in an area that routinely sets records for the amount of rainfall received in a short period of time.

Rainfall intensity maps: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...1ull_Q&cad=rja

NOAA Rainfall intensity records: http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/climate/...3-20010610.txt

In 2001 tropical storm Allison dropped between 12" and 26" of rain in 48 hours on numerous areas inside of Harris County.
In 1979 Tropical Storm Claudette dropped 43 inches of rain in 24 hours on Alvin, TX, just south of Houston.

Ten Year Rainfall Intensity Map: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...KL7k5A&cad=rja

This rainfall map shows that the maximum likely rainfall intensity in any 10 year period for the Houston area is 7.8" per hour.

To say it rains a lot in Houston is to grossly understate the problem.

Old 05-31-2011, 05:14 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,836,148 times
Unlike most people who have an opinion on it, I've lived in both cities for several years each. I've always said it's a wash as far as which is worse for the summer weather. I agree with the OP that for whatever reason, Austinites exaggerate the difference.

Austin = hotter temperature wise, slightly less humid, and less cloud cover. Sun is constantly beating down on you. But, not quite as sticky.

Houston = slightly less hot temperature wise, more humid, more cloudy days so the sun isn't beating down on you as badly. But a little more sticky.

Both are hot as heck all summer. It's really a wash and anyone who says otherwise is splitting hairs IMO.

Quote:
Anyway, our friends who live in Austin always brag about how much less humid their summers are as if it is a major difference between the two cities, Houston, like always, being on the short end of the stick. I've been to Austin countless times during the summer months and I just don't see it. It is just as hot and miserable as Houston from May-Sept. I mean as the crow flies Houston is only 130 miles or so from Austin. I recognize the gargantuan 450ft elevation gain (more sarcasm) as you head northwest toward the hill country from Houston must help decrease the relative feel of the heat but all in all I think it's an apples to apples comparison.
Pretty much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Haven't had that "problem" in 2011. In fact, quite the opposite. Which is too bad... the high rainfall is what keeps it looking so lush, green and lovely.

Old 05-31-2011, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
Both are hot as heck all summer. It's really a wash and anyone who says otherwise is splitting hairs IMO.
You're seriously arguing with me about whether I thought Austin feels drier than Houston? That's ridiculous.

Old 05-31-2011, 07:43 PM

443 posts, read 1,345,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post

What problem is it exactly that you are referring to? Rain? TS Allison was an anomaly. We've had an 11 inch rain at our ranch in Burnet (registered on our semi-pro Davis Vantage weather station) in 6 hours that caused severe flooding of our deer pens and of the house.

Rainfall is recorded at one finite point in time and space. To actually get something useful to discuss you have to look at AVERAGES not the events that are 2 or 3 standard deviations from the norm that occur once ever 150 years or more.

Your graphs do show that Houston humidity levels are higher on AVERAGE than Austin. Point taken. To me, however, the difference is not as substantial as Austinites make it out to be...in fact, according to your graphs its usually less than 10%.

Old 05-31-2011, 08:43 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,836,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
You're seriously arguing with me about whether I thought Austin feels drier than Houston? That's ridiculous.
Um... no, can't say I remember even responding to you in this thread, let alone arguing.

Quote:
Your graphs do show that Houston humidity levels are higher on AVERAGE than Austin. Point taken. To me, however, the difference is not as substantial as Austinites make it out to be...in fact, according to your graphs its usually less than 10%.
Yes, it's probably only about 10% average. But by the way some people talk you'd think the cities were on opposite ends of the state...

Old 06-01-2011, 03:06 AM

392 posts, read 749,088 times
I'd love to see all this compared to San Antonio. I recently moved here from Baton Rouge and I've noticed a pretty obviously difference here from the lovely humidity I'm used to in Louisiana. It's significantly more dry here in the air and I shock myself on metal surfaces all the time. Obviously there are humid times too, but it's not nearly as often from my observance.

Old 06-01-2011, 06:38 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,615,889 times
Quote:
And, I think the Houston and Austin climes are so close to the same the differences are negligible
I have lived many years in both locations, and 'negligible' would not be my way of describing the differences .

Austin does get hot and humid, and sometimes is indistinguishable from Houston weather; however, Houston also gets those insane humidity days where the humidity approaches 99-100%. We once had to stop playing basketball because the ball became soaked with sweat - it wouldn't evaporate. We were in the shade ( a covered pavilion), but it was probably a good idea to stop just the same to avoid heat exhaustion. Never had anything close to that happen in Austin.

If you are coming from an arid climate, both places will seem very humid.

On the other hand, I do like the rain in Houston, I wish we would get more of that . And the winters are wonderful....
Quote:
I'd love to see all this compared to San Antonio.
For all weather intents and purposes, Austin = San Antonio and Houston = New Orleans
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin