U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 04:27 PM

15 posts, read 12,604 times
Default Young family relocating from London - lots of questions!!

Hi everyone,
My family will be relocating to Austin from London at the beginning of next year. My husband has a 2-3 year secondment which may become permanent and he will be based downtown. I am so excited!!! I have accompanied him to Austin on two occasions (two weeks in total) and have loved the city, way of life, vibe, food, parks etc
I really don't know where to start looking for a home so please excuse me for sounding clueless!
Initially we will rent, looking for a 3 bed and paying up to $1500. We have a 2 year old daughter and I'd like to enrol her to daycare/pre-kindergarten 3 days per week. Are pre-kindergarten establishments linked to schools? Any recommendations? How easy would it be to enrol her during the middle of a "school" year?
Which neighbourhoods would you recommend us living? The school and being family friendly are deciding factors. Ideally I'd like to be able to walk to cafes/parks with my daughter if that is at all possible?
Thanks so much for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2011, 04:44 PM

3,561 posts, read 2,601,564 times
Okay, since you have a 2-3 year assignment, your daughter will be 5 when you leave. So, school districts are not really an issue for you. Daycare is not linked to schools unless you choose private schools. Public schools are separate than daycare. We have Montessori, the Children's Center, Primrose, and a host of other reputable preschools for you to choose from.

I don't know why, but for some reason the Domain keeps popping into my head. The reason why is they have apartments and they are right next door to a town center with a park and plenty of restaurants and coffee shops. The only problem is that the shops are not "typical" shops of Austin and the center is generic, but it somewhat fits what you'd like. Your husbands commute would be a straight shot down MoPac, so not too bad.

I'm thinking the hipster lifestyle in South Austin/East Austin would not be good for a 2 year old, so I think either you could live downtown, which would be convenient for your husband, or you could live a little north, perhaps in Hyde Park or the vicinity. You'd be relatively close to coffee shops and the like. There's even apartments right at Central Market North and you could walk to get groceries if you want to have that kind of lifestyle.

If it was just you and your husband, I'd say get a downtown apartment, but with the small child that changes things a bit.

Anyway, that's my opinion.

Old 05-31-2011, 05:07 PM

4,597 posts, read 6,658,435 times
Live in French Place, enroll the kid in Open Door East, walk to dining and coffeehouses on Manor, take in the atmosphere of every UT home game and be very close to downtown! And you should (with a little luck) find a home in your price range too!
The Open Door Preschool

Old 05-31-2011, 06:24 PM

1 posts, read 915 times
If you want to walk to caffe's you have to live downtown Austin. You really need a car to live here. Austin is very spread out. North Austin on a good day takes 20 minutes to get there. During the week in work traffic takes 40 minutes to 1 hours. Everything is in South Austin, here you will feel the vibe of the city. Nice neighborhoods. Such as Clarksville. You would love to have a bike, almost all people in this area has a bike. Or you could live near the University of TX. Places to walk to area stores, coffee shops there. As far as the children and schools, actually North Austin and RoundRock wold be better for them. You can get a very nice home to rent for $1,000 starting. Look on Crigs List-Austin and see the homes for rent. I would advise you to get a rent locator to show you around and get a home.
Good luck and welcome to Austin. Lots to do here. I know you'll love it.

Old 05-31-2011, 09:09 PM

1,133 posts, read 2,701,734 times
See if you can find something in Barton Hills close to Zilker Park. There is a nice playground and Barton Springs Pool there. Also there are many festivals and events that you'll be able to walk or bike too.

Good luck!

Old 06-01-2011, 05:53 AM

15 posts, read 12,604 times
Thanks for the suggestions so far.
I should have mentioned that we would like a house with garden as opposed to an apartment. Would $1500 get us this? (In London, we'd be lucky to have a decent 1 bed with no outdoor space for this amount!)
I understand we will probably need 2 cars, but just wanted to see if it would be possible to go for walks with my daughter in her stroller.
Also even though it is a 2-3 year secondment at the moment, I am sure we could make this a permanent move.

Old 06-01-2011, 07:10 AM

3,561 posts, read 2,601,564 times
If you want a house, then get a house in the Hyde Park area. It's a nice area and relatively close to all the action. You can definitely do walks in a stroller with your daughter for sure in that area.

Old 06-01-2011, 07:48 AM

1,133 posts, read 2,701,734 times
I've been looking at renting a house for $1500 in any central or north central Austin area and I haven't seen much that I would like to live in -- or have my 4 year old live in. It seems like you have to go up to $1800-$2,000 to get something that is updated and nice. For $1500 you still might get a window unit instead of Central Heat & Air. If there IS something decent for $1500, it'll go fast so you'll have to jump on it.

I haven't looked south of the river, so maybe South Austin is a little cheaper.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:03 AM

3,203 posts, read 2,519,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlanta hope View Post
I've been looking at renting a house for $1500 in any central or north central Austin area and I haven't seen much that I would like to live in -- or have my 4 year old live in. It seems like you have to go up to $1800-$2,000 to get something that is updated and nice. For $1500 you still might get a window unit instead of Central Heat & Air. If there IS something decent for $1500, it'll go fast so you'll have to jump on it.

I haven't looked south of the river, so maybe South Austin is a little cheaper.
$1500 for a 3-bedroom south of the river could work, but your really limited to primarily the 78745 and 78744 zip codes:
Austin TX Homes for Sale & Austin Real Estate - Zillow

If you were to increase your budget to the $1500-$2,000/month range, more options would open up, but they would be further out:
http://www.zillow.com/homes/austin_r...45_rect/10_zm/

Counter-intuitive, I know.

Last edited by jobert; 06-01-2011 at 08:18 AM..

Old 06-01-2011, 08:14 AM

2,274 posts, read 3,292,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobert View Post

If you were to increase your budget to the $1500-$2,000/month range, a lot more options would open up:
Austin TX Homes for Sale & Austin Real Estate - Zillow
If you can't increase your budget, you could downsize to a 2 bedroom place and open up a lot more options as well. I'm not sure what you were thinking a 3 day a week part time childcare/school would cost, but you'll probably be looking at $450 to $650 per month for that depending on the place. (I pay $1100 per month for a two year old that goes full time).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin