Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 01:13 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.JT View Post
I apologize to everyone else for resurrecting this...

CptnRn, what you said is a jumble of non sequiturs. I believe in QUALITY, not QUANTITY. Who would want to replace a pool every three years? That's insane. (and a WASTE of money) Further, we wouldn't purchase a pool for the mere resale value of our home. If we install a pool, it would be for OUR pleasure. If it adds to the value of our home, great. If not, oh well. It's not that serious to me.
One indicator of QUALITY is good value for your money. No one said you would have to replace the pool every 3 years, that was an example of how economical they are. An average quality above ground pool would probably easily last for 15 years if reasonable care were taken of it. that is 15 years of pleasure at a pittance of the cost for a permanent pool. How can that possibly be a waste of money? What is a waste is spending 20 times more for the same amount of pleasure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2011, 01:26 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,093,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
One indicator of QUALITY is good value for your money. No one said you would have to replace the pool every 3 years, that was an example of how economical they are. An average quality above ground pool would probably easily last for 15 years if reasonable care were taken of it. that is 15 years of pleasure at a pittance of the cost for a permanent pool. How can that possibly be a waste of money? What is a waste is spending 20 times more for the same amount of pleasure.
I knew that would be the response - that you didn't say that the pool would have to be replace every three years. I understand that. But that was a poor example...you shouldn't have used it. My response to your hypothetical situation completely followed. I believe in quality over quantity. Your "example" mentioned replacing a pool numerous times...whether it was a practical example or not, you still said it. So that was my hypothetical answer to your hypothetical situation: Quality vs. Quantity.

Bottom line. We will spend our money the way WE see fit. It is not up to you to determine what is a waste of money for US. We would prefer an in ground pool because WE believe it would be of much better quality than an above ground pool for US. And again, we would not install a pool for the resale value of our home.

So let opinions be opinions, cause you can't change mine.

Old 06-03-2011, 02:28 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
I can vouch for 10 years and 1 liner change in all that time.

Old 06-03-2011, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.JT View Post
I knew that would be the response - that you didn't say that the pool would have to be replace every three years. I understand that. But that was a poor example...you shouldn't have used it. My response to your hypothetical situation completely followed. I believe in quality over quantity. Your "example" mentioned replacing a pool numerous times...whether it was a practical example or not, you still said it. So that was my hypothetical answer to your hypothetical situation: Quality vs. Quantity.

Bottom line. We will spend our money the way WE see fit. It is not up to you to determine what is a waste of money for US. We would prefer an in ground pool because WE believe it would be of much better quality than an above ground pool for US. And again, we would not install a pool for the resale value of our home.

So let opinions be opinions, cause you can't change mine.
Well this thread is about above ground because the OP didn't want to spend the money on inground and was asking about above ground.

I don't think anyone is trying to convince you otherwise.

Old 06-03-2011, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Well this thread is about above ground because the OP didn't want to spend the money on inground and was asking about above ground.

I don't think anyone is trying to convince you otherwise.
I understand what the thread is about. And my first response was just giving my input, which led to a reference to my post sounding "elitist." The OP ASKED for suggestions and input, and that's what I offered.

It didn't have to come to this, but it did. And my perception is that CptnRN was, indeed, trying to convince me of the quality, practicality and affordability of an above ground pool. Sure, the link he shared shed new light on above ground pools. And sure, they are a lot more affordable than in ground. But no thanks.

I merely suggested that if it's at all possible, maybe waiting a few years for an inground pool might be a solution. So I believe my input could be useful.

Old 06-03-2011, 02:47 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots View Post
Can anyone give input on above ground pools? Are they less expensive? Any suggestions?
Contrary to what some of the elitist posters have said on this thread, there is nothing wrong with installing an above ground swimming pool. You can save thousands of dollars doing so and have your family in the water enjoying the pool in a very short period of time for a fraction of the cost, while the others are still saving their money towards a down payment years from now. Your kids will be enjoying hours of recreation in the pool while the other family who is waiting and saving their money watches their kids grow up without one. And you will have additional money in the bank that you can save towards your kids college and your retirement fund.

A properly installed and maintained above ground pool will give you years of enjoyment for a fraction of the cost of an in ground pool.

Last edited by CptnRn; 06-03-2011 at 03:40 PM..

Old 06-03-2011, 02:53 PM

Thank you, CptnRn. That was a response which addressed the OP's original questions.

But still LOL @ "elitist posters."

Old 06-03-2011, 03:34 PM

My pool was a Doughboy with resin sides. It was oval but did not have those braces sticking out on the side.

That pool saw plenty of kids splashing around and pushing off the sides (until I yelled).
The biggest thing to stress to the kids is no jumping into the pool and no diving. No ifs, ands or buts.

At this time of year the installers might be pretty busy

Old 06-03-2011, 09:46 PM

239 posts, read 518,042 times
Moderator cut: off topic/personal

As far as pools go...it's an individual choice. Also consider the location for any pool. An above ground can look like an oil storage unit on a small property...and then there's the lack of privacy issue....it's all about what YOU want and can afford. But, let's face it...above ground = cheaper than in ground, in actual cost, but also in perception.

Last edited by Bo; 06-04-2011 at 06:04 PM.. Reason: Feel free to use the report post feature to share these observations, rather than posting them for all to see.

Old 06-04-2011, 07:24 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,120,573 times
Quote:
Contrary to what some of the elitist posters have said on this thread, there is nothing wrong with installing an above ground swimming pool. You can save thousands of dollars doing so and have your family in the water enjoying the pool in a very short period of time for a fraction of the cost, while the others are still saving their money towards a down payment years from now. Your kids will be enjoying hours of recreation in the pool while the other family who is waiting and saving their money watches their kids grow up without one. And you will have additional money in the bank that you can save towards your kids college and your retirement fund.

A properly installed and maintained above ground pool will give you years of enjoyment for a fraction of the cost of an in ground pool.
unless your enjoyment is predicated on being elitist..

If you cant enjoy an above ground pool because it offends you, then that is truly elitist. Dont worry about being elitist, but at least admit it.

I personally would love an above ground pool, but my wife is an elitist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin