Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 09:54 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times

Advertisements

Your husband might also want to check out Granger Lake, just down the road, as well as Lake Georgetown, of course (right there in the middle of town). There are larger lakes a bit of a drive away, but not far - Stillhouse Hollow Lake and Lake Belton are examples, as, of course, are Lake Buchanan and the other Highland Lakes.

The other things you mention are easy to find in or near Georgetown, as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2011, 10:59 AM

2,627 posts, read 6,573,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post

We also enjoy restaurants (especially ethic), nearby local happy hours and bars, and he spends 3-4 afternoons a week in the pool hall with fellow retirees. We live in far east Mesa, AZ now, so driving 30-40 minutes to play a good game of pool is normal for him.

Do you think this is an area we should continue to research?
Yes, Georgetown could definitely work. Ethnic restaurants aren't plentiful, but there are a few and more if you drive into Austin. If you consider Tex-Mex to be Ethnic, then you're set. It might have more of a small-town feel compared to what you're used to, but it continues to grow and Wolf Ranch for example resembles a good sized strip mall that you'd see in Phoenix with a Target, Kohl's, Office Depot, Old Navy, etc.

If you're out towards Sun City on the West side of town, it's more rural than other areas of Georgetown (expect deer to eat the roses in your front yard), but still a short drive to what you mention above. I imagine if you actually live in Sun City that they must have some sort of club-house with pool tables. I could be wrong.

Be sure to click on the various embedded Lake hyper-links in TexasHorseLady's post above.

Old 09-19-2011, 11:18 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
I checked into pool halls in/near Georgetown and came up with Skinny Bob's in Round Rock on Hester's Crossing (not that far from Georgetown) and Shooters in Cedar Park, plus several others a little bit further away.

As for ethnic food, we have quite a bit, some in Georgetown, more in Round Rock and other parts of Austin. Depending on what you consider "ethnic", of course! I have a foodies meetup and we've eaten out at all kinds of ethnic restaurants in the Austin area. What do you like most?

Old 09-19-2011, 11:25 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,058,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
As we are also retired and looking at the Georgetown area, I'd like to reactivate this thread. Apologies to the OP if it feels like hijacking, but it has been quiet for awhile.

Sun City is what actually made us aware of the area - but we are not tied to a 55+ community. It's proximity to Austin makes it especially interesting.

A couple of questions: we want to include boating and fishing in our retirement. No specific species, but my husband bores quickly if he 'just fishin' - he needs to be catching. Little, big, whatever, and mostly they get released anyway. In shore Salt water fishing in Florida remains his favorite, but for many other reasons, we don't want to live in Florida. So - can anyone advise on the fishing and boating within 30 minutes of Georgetown or other similar nearby towns?

We also enjoy restaurants (especially ethic), nearby local happy hours and bars, and he spends 3-4 afternoons a week in the pool hall with fellow retirees. We live in far east Mesa, AZ now, so driving 30-40 minutes to play a good game of pool is normal for him.

Do you think this is an area we should continue to research?
Near Austin I agree that Horseshoe Bay would be a better choice then Georgetown.

For the fishing he enjoys you really should consider the Rockport/Fulton area near Corpus Chirsti. It is easily the prettiest part of the Texas coast, on the edge of Aransas Bay. The entire Texas coast has a string of numerous protected bays all connected by the intercoastal water way with excellent fishing. It is the wintering nesting area for huge numbers of birds. The Rockport/Fulton area attracts a fair number of retirees, has an active arts community and hosts numerous festivals throughout the year. We kept a sailboat there for three years and return each spring for a visit.

Old 09-19-2011, 04:35 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,827,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Your husband might also want to check out Granger Lake, just down the road, as well as Lake Georgetown, of course (right there in the middle of town). There are larger lakes a bit of a drive away, but not far - Stillhouse Hollow Lake and Lake Belton are examples, as, of course, are Lake Buchanan and the other Highland Lakes.

The other things you mention are easy to find in or near Georgetown, as well.
LOL! I'm more of the fishing fanatic. He's the one looking for the pool halls!

Thanks for the suggestions.

Old 09-19-2011, 05:04 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,827,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Near Austin I agree that Horseshoe Bay would be a better choice then Georgetown.

For the fishing he enjoys you really should consider the Rockport/Fulton area near Corpus Chirsti. It is easily the prettiest part of the Texas coast, on the edge of Aransas Bay. The entire Texas coast has a string of numerous protected bays all connected by the intercoastal water way with excellent fishing. It is the wintering nesting area for huge numbers of birds. The Rockport/Fulton area attracts a fair number of retirees, has an active arts community and hosts numerous festivals throughout the year. We kept a sailboat there for three years and return each spring for a visit.
But isn't the summer humidity just abysmal down around Corpus? (though I agree the fishing is closer to what we are looking for).

In regard to Horseshoe Bay - can anyone tell me more about the area? I'm not finding much available in relation to restaurants, and not a pool hall closer than Austin! But I agree - the area looks spectacularly beautiful.

Old 09-19-2011, 05:51 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,058,726 times
Marble Falls & Horse Shoe Bay, same area. Humidity is higher anytime you want to be near the ocean. Temperatures are cooler in summer in Rockport then they are in Horseshoe Bay.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Marble-Falls-Texas.html
http://www.city-data.com/city/Horseshoe-Bay-Texas.html
http://www.city-data.com/city/Rockport-Texas.html
http://www.city-data.com/city/Austin-Texas.html

Horse Shoe Bay ----
Austin and Marble Falls are very similar.

Rockport------------
Temperatures are more moderate in Rockport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin