U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 09:42 AM

679 posts, read 1,715,990 times

Advertisements

Definitely cheaper to put in a pool! A nice one, at that.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2011, 01:36 PM

8,239 posts, read 16,466,351 times
You might want to look into Courtyard Tennis and Swim Club- it's down the road from ACC, but much more down to earth and laid back. Cheaper, too! There's no golf, though.
Courtyard Tennis Club

Old 06-08-2011, 04:24 PM

509 posts, read 1,461,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
You might want to look into Courtyard Tennis and Swim Club- it's down the road from ACC, but much more down to earth and laid back. Cheaper, too! There's no golf, though.
Courtyard Tennis Club
Thanks! That looks like it's more our speed. We really just wanted a pool and maybe tennis for the kiddos. In our family, only my 7 year old is fancy enough for ACC and she can join later - when she's footing the bills!

P.S. I tried to Rep you, but I must spread some love to others first. Sorry!

Last edited by Dr.Mom; 06-08-2011 at 04:26 PM.. Reason: P.S. for Big Brother

Old 06-08-2011, 04:29 PM

389 posts, read 1,562,983 times
Social memberships at A.C.C. are a $13,500 initiation fee plus $240 in monthly dues.

$80,000 is the initiation for a resident membership which includes tennis and golf along with the dining, pool, and fitness room benefits that come with the social membership.

Almost any place you go outside of your home in Travis County -- with the exception of Hippie Hollow -- has a dress code. A.C.C. simply put theirs in writing so when the staff tells little Billy to leave because he looks like a bad imitation of Marky Mark in his Calvin Klein underwear ads; his parents don't have any reason to question the decision.

Any adult who takes serious offense to the dress code should probably question their fashion sense. More than likely, they are simply anti-club (which is fine) and use the dress code a red herring.

Old 06-08-2011, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Mom View Post
Thanks! That looks like it's more our speed. We really just wanted a pool and maybe tennis for the kiddos. In our family, only my 7 year old is fancy enough for ACC and she can join later - when she's footing the bills!

P.S. I tried to Rep you, but I must spread some love to others first. Sorry!
No worries. I feel the love. Enjoy Courtyard- it's very chill.

Old 06-09-2011, 07:54 AM

509 posts, read 1,461,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuits View Post
Social memberships at A.C.C. are a $13,500 initiation fee plus $240 in monthly dues.

$80,000 is the initiation for a resident membership which includes tennis and golf along with the dining, pool, and fitness room benefits that come with the social membership.

Almost any place you go outside of your home in Travis County -- with the exception of Hippie Hollow -- has a dress code. A.C.C. simply put theirs in writing so when the staff tells little Billy to leave because he looks like a bad imitation of Marky Mark in his Calvin Klein underwear ads; his parents don't have any reason to question the decision.

Any adult who takes serious offense to the dress code should probably question their fashion sense. More than likely, they are simply anti-club (which is fine) and use the dress code a red herring.
I understand what you're saying, but at this point in my life as a SAHM with three very young children, I'm more Tar-jay than Nordstrom's. Really don't want to feel out of place or even have to worry about it on top of everything else that I already have to worry about. I think that some place like the Courtyard is more our speed for now. Thanks though!

Old 06-09-2011, 08:37 AM

13,719 posts, read 29,121,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Courtyard Tennis Club
Nice facility. Good recommendation. Much less attitude!

Old 06-09-2011, 09:59 AM

547 posts, read 1,356,077 times
Quote:
Wow.

Old 06-09-2011, 01:26 PM

389 posts, read 1,562,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffettjr View Post
Wow.
Remind me again, which of these did you find objectionable?

Austin Country Club*View Library Document: Dress Code

GENERAL
Gentlemen are not permitted to wear hats in the Terrace or the banquet areas, with the exception of the Banquet areas when special circumstances make them appropriate.

TERRACE [dining rooom]

(including inside and outside Patio area)
Members, spouses, children 12 years of age and older, and member guests, are expected to dress appropriately and in accordance with commonly accepted customs of a country club. Cut-offs, work out attire, short shorts, t-shirts, swimwear, and sweatsuits are prohibited. Collarless shirts are allowed as long as they are part of an overall, tasteful outfit.

HARVEY’S [adult dining room and bar]
Appropriate casual attire is acceptable. Coat and tie are not required. Harvey’s is for adults (21 years of age and older).

TENNIS AREA
Proper tennis attire shall be observed by players of all ages. No cutoffs or jeans are allowed. Tennis shirts shall be worn at all times. Tennis shoes with non-marking soles are required.

GOLF COURSE AND
PRACTICE AREA
Members, spouses, juniors, and guests are expected to dress in accordance with the commonly accepted customs of a country club and the traditions of the game of golf. Proper golf attire must be worn on the course and practice areas at all times. The following is required:

All men must wear collared shirts tucked in pants or shorts. Belts should be worn if applicable. Shorts must be of appropriate length. The following are not allowed; non-golf cargo shorts, tennis shorts, gym shorts, jogging clothes, tank tops, and swimming attire. All caps must be worn properly with bill forward.

Men may wear a mocked neck golf shirt. Ladies may wear collarless golf shirts un-tucked or sleeveless golf shirts. No t-shirts are allowed.

Shoes may have flat or soft spikes, and should be worn at all times on the golf course to protect golfers from slipping on wet or uneven terrain. Metal spikes are not allowed. Tennis and running shoes are allowed. Shoes must be worn. No bare feet or sandals are permitted, except for golf sandals.

These rules apply to all Members and guests of all ages, with the exception of youngsters in camp activities.

Old 06-09-2011, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Remind me again, which of these did you find objectionable?

Austin Country Club*View Library Document: Dress Code

GENERAL
Gentlemen are not permitted to wear hats in the Terrace or the banquet areas, with the exception of the Banquet areas when special circumstances make them appropriate.

TERRACE [dining rooom]

(including inside and outside Patio area)
Members, spouses, children 12 years of age and older, and member guests, are expected to dress appropriately and in accordance with commonly accepted customs of a country club. Cut-offs, work out attire, short shorts, t-shirts, swimwear, and sweatsuits are prohibited. Collarless shirts are allowed as long as they are part of an overall, tasteful outfit.

HARVEY’S [adult dining room and bar]
Appropriate casual attire is acceptable. Coat and tie are not required. Harvey’s is for adults (21 years of age and older).

TENNIS AREA
Proper tennis attire shall be observed by players of all ages. No cutoffs or jeans are allowed. Tennis shirts shall be worn at all times. Tennis shoes with non-marking soles are required.

GOLF COURSE AND
PRACTICE AREA
Members, spouses, juniors, and guests are expected to dress in accordance with the commonly accepted customs of a country club and the traditions of the game of golf. Proper golf attire must be worn on the course and practice areas at all times. The following is required:

All men must wear collared shirts tucked in pants or shorts. Belts should be worn if applicable. Shorts must be of appropriate length. The following are not allowed; non-golf cargo shorts, tennis shorts, gym shorts, jogging clothes, tank tops, and swimming attire. All caps must be worn properly with bill forward.

Men may wear a mocked neck golf shirt. Ladies may wear collarless golf shirts un-tucked or sleeveless golf shirts. No t-shirts are allowed.

Shoes may have flat or soft spikes, and should be worn at all times on the golf course to protect golfers from slipping on wet or uneven terrain. Metal spikes are not allowed. Tennis and running shoes are allowed. Shoes must be worn. No bare feet or sandals are permitted, except for golf sandals.

These rules apply to all Members and guests of all ages, with the exception of youngsters in camp activities.
The colored highlights are really silly, or just too vague for me.

Some people just don't like to be told what to do. Honestly, I would not be so into plunking down a significant amount of cash and then be hassled because DH's jogging shorts were too short, or I happened to wear a tshirt to play tennis instead of a "tennis shirt" (whatever that is, I mean, really). I don't care who joins ACC, I just know that that list would kind of weird me o
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: