Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 02:43 PM

547 posts, read 1,434,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuits View Post
Remind me again, which of these did you find objectionable?
No, you're right. If I wore cargo shorts while golfing in the 103 degree heat it would completely destroy the illusions they work so hard to maintain in their anachronistic Stepford-ville. These codes are for the better. They just aren't for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2011, 03:08 PM

732 posts, read 2,125,905 times
Quote:
Remind me again, which of these did you find objectionable?
I do not find any of those objectionable because it is the clubs right to mandate the "uniform". Obviously the members want to hang around other like people and that's okay.

Quote:

Any adult who takes serious offense to the dress code should probably question their fashion sense.
I find this comment much more objectionable than the rules posted. While I would meet the dress code at the country club if I were invited and I often exceed the general dress of my workplace I do not dress anything like that in normal day to day life. I don't think that is any reason to question my fashion sense which is very subjective anyway.

Old 06-09-2011, 05:16 PM

389 posts, read 1,631,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffettjr View Post
No, you're right. If I wore cargo shorts while golfing in the 103 degree heat it would completely destroy the illusions they work so hard to maintain in their anachronistic Stepford-ville. These codes are for the better. They just aren't for me.
I hate to break it to you but nobody looks good in cargo shorts and golf shoes. They have probably done you a tremendous favor by taking that option away; leaving you with a wide variety of adult shorts that don't include parachute pockets...

I'll admit that I'm unclear as to exactly why cargo shorts have been singled-out in the dress code but my guess is that it was put in place to reprimand Old Navy shoppers (i.e., kids) who had an overall sloppy look that the old-timers thought was unbecoming a country club golfer.

Wearing a tennis shirt on the tennis court -- as opposed to going shirtless or wearing a tank-top -- makes sense to me; as does the majority of the code.

I still contend the Stepford-like comments are most likely attempts to bash what you can't have or never wanted to begin with. It seems to me you probably don't wear your cap sideways or cargo shorts but as soon as you see that rule; by damned your going to use that to psyche yourself into thinking you made the right decision in not accepting that invitation that was never offered to you to begin with.

But I could be wrong. You could be that rare guy: the grown man golfing in cargo shorts, flip flops, and a sideways cap; who was in a position to be invited to join A.C.C.; had the $80,000 waiting to eagerly put into one of the worst "investments" known to man; and then saw the dress code and bailed. If you are "that guy" I do honestly salute your individuality. People may accuse you of having Peter Pan tendencies but never can say you are Stepford-like.

Old 06-09-2011, 07:34 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,100,141 times
Only in Texas would the proud defender of country club dress codes and exclusivity go by the handle of "Biscuits"!!

I love it!

Edited to add, maybe in Alabama, Louisiana, and Mississippi too!

Old 06-10-2011, 11:15 AM

473 posts, read 1,327,939 times
I can understand not liking the dress codes. Fine - then don't join a country club, especially the most exclusive and expensive one in town. Have you been in the Austin CC? It's a fabulously nice place, and they expect you to dress nice there. Only in Austin would that be something to scoff at.

Old 06-10-2011, 01:41 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,169,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SickOfCalifornia View Post
I can understand not liking the dress codes. Fine - then don't join a country club, especially the most exclusive and expensive one in town. Have you been in the Austin CC? It's a fabulously nice place, and they expect you to dress nice there. Only in Austin would that be something to scoff at.
Yes - if you don't like the dress code - don't join.

But there are many people all around the country that don't like places like Austin CC. Almost every city has a country club or two like Austin CC. Some of the most famous, like Augusta, only admitted black people for the first time a few years ago.

And yes - I have been in Austin CC several times. But not as a member. It is indeed nice, in a traditional buttoned up kind of way.

Old 06-10-2011, 07:04 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,316,631 times
I agree that ACC is super nice. It's not for everyone, though. The OP wanted a specific kind of place and ACC is not that place. No matter!

Old 06-10-2011, 07:15 PM

509 posts, read 1,544,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
I agree that ACC is super nice. It's not for everyone, though. The OP wanted a specific kind of place and ACC is not that place. No matter!
Agreed. I've never been to ACC so I had no idea what it was like or their expectations of their members. It's not for us, so we'll find some where else. Nothing to get upset about. Their club, their rules.

Old 06-10-2011, 07:28 PM

867 posts, read 2,977,109 times
I'm proud to say that I know of plenty of wealthy Texas folk that can afford the country club membership (wealthy ranchers) that would never in a million years hang at a country club and would rather do something like go quail hunting or chill on their 12,000 acre ranch in West Texas. They would shove that dress code up their ***.

Country clubs are not really a "Texas thing", anyway, IMHO.

Old 06-10-2011, 07:41 PM

389 posts, read 1,631,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphalogica View Post
I'm proud to say that I know of plenty of wealthy Texas folk that can afford the country club membership (wealthy ranchers) that would never in a million years hang at a country club and would rather do something like go quail hunting or chill on their 12,000 acre ranch in West Texas. They would shove that dress code up their ***.
If you don't enjoy golf on -- in the case of A.C.C. -- an exceptional course, why would you "hang" at a country club?

Are you saying these wealth folks are serious golfers who boycott country club golf because of the dress code or snobbery? Or are you saying they have other hobbies -- possibly hunting -- that aren't offered at country clubs?

I'm guessing it's the latter. That being the case, your post is pretty silly beyond making you feel good about sticking it to the evil country club on a discussion board...

Lastly, would these same wealthy Texas folk -- the "plenty" that you know so well -- turn down an invitation from people like Coach Daryl Royal or Willie Nelson to play golf with them at their country club?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: