U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-10-2011, 02:34 PM
 
Location: Central Texas
16,258 posts, read 22,171,448 times
Reputation: 12416
I LOVED 2222 before it was straightened and widened to accommodate those who didn't have a clue how to drive (slow down on windy roads, folks) and yet moved out to the lake anyway and complained (or got themselves killed) so it was "tamed" for the lowest common denominator.

But, then, I really loved to drive.

And what do you mean no way to drive from Lake Austin Blvd. to Anderson Lane? Did it all the time. There WERE roads here before Mopac, you know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-10-2011, 03:01 PM
 
15,969 posts, read 25,420,254 times
Reputation: 5900
I can't believe they charge admission to Hippie Hollow!

I'm not a senior citizen but I remember Austin very well in the 70s and 80s.

Here is one of the best days I ever spent in my life:


YouTube - ‪SMU=Texas 1982‬‏


YouTube - ‪1982 SMU Mustang Band Halftime @ university of texas‬‏
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2011, 03:31 PM
 
Location: 78747
3,203 posts, read 2,524,161 times
Reputation: 915
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
I can't believe they charge admission to Hippie Hollow!

I'm not a senior citizen but I remember Austin very well in the 70s and 80s.

Here is one of the best days I ever spent in my life:
Yikes!

Lakewooder, you're going to have hide out for a while after that post..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2011, 06:30 PM
 
Location: Round Rock, Texas
4,910 posts, read 3,190,161 times
Reputation: 3211
SMU =

=

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2011, 10:12 PM
 
Location: Austin, TX
3,570 posts, read 2,609,790 times
Reputation: 1634
Quote:
Originally Posted by wag more bark less View Post
This is true. If you're going to dish it (Austinites putting down Dallas, Houston etc.) you've gotta be able to take it!
I actually found the article funny. The way I see it, if the 4th and 7th largest cities in America have to prove they are better than a much smaller city, that only proves how great we really are.

The fact is they know that they have to stymie the flow of people to Austin and they will do whatever they can. The biggest source of population increase in Austin is still from Dallas and Houston by the way. As long as that is the case, there will be pundits in Dallas and Houston trying to put us down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2011, 10:47 PM
 
Location: Southwest Austin
4,926 posts, read 9,581,605 times
Reputation: 3383
I stopped at about page three in the article. It veered into personal-attack-style judgments and opinions. If a writer has to resort to calling the 4th street area "douched out", as well as other middle-schoolish bromides, then I'm not really interested in his opinions.

I do think Austin has changed since I moved here in 1985. Some for the better, some for the worse. What city can't say the same?

Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2011, 09:46 AM
 
Location: Westbury
2,628 posts, read 2,388,514 times
Reputation: 2148
a similar thread was posted in the Houston forum (where I typically post because I live there). former ut grad btw too! so i was wondering what the dallas and austin forum was saying

i never hear houstonians compare any parts of the city to Austin. there are virtually no similarities. yes i do prefer houston for different reasons. houston has enough thousands of people migrating to it from texas, colorado, georgia, california and overseas that transplants from austin don't even come to mind. i think houston is trying to stymie the flow into HOUSTON, not austin.

what bothers me are the cities that have to try to one up one another when they are so vastly different. how can you compare Austin to a city the size of Houston? How can you compare Houston to a city the size of Los Angeles? Not just size and differences in amenities but culture as well.

if you cant take it dont try to dish it out
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2011, 10:41 AM
 
Location: Austin, TX
1,091 posts, read 1,208,892 times
Reputation: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by testmo View Post
what bothers me are the cities that have to try to one up one another when they are so vastly different. how can you compare Austin to a city the size of Houston? How can you compare Houston to a city the size of Los Angeles? Not just size and differences in amenities but culture as well.

if you cant take it dont try to dish it out
To paraphrase, you just said that comparing Houston to Austin was like comparing apples to oranges because of Houston's size, #s of new residents, culture. So why are you saying, "if you can't take it, don't try to dish it out"?

Where do you see that in the Austin sub-forum? Which threads? You don't see it. I know you copiedthe phrase from previous posters!


_ _ _ _ _
I understand. People don't always THINK CLEARLY in the morning!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2011, 02:09 PM
 
Location: The Lone Star State
5,023 posts, read 3,196,821 times
Reputation: 3240
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
I actually found the article funny. The way I see it, if the 4th and 7th largest cities in America have to prove they are better than a much smaller city, that only proves how great we really are.

The fact is they know that they have to stymie the flow of people to Austin and they will do whatever they can. The biggest source of population increase in Austin is still from Dallas and Houston by the way. As long as that is the case, there will be pundits in Dallas and Houston trying to put us down.
We're much worse at comparisons. Every time someone else says the weather or traffic is bad to an Austinite, all we can do is say "well it's worse in Houston and/or Dallas." Always trying to one-up and compare other places rather than admit it or address the issue head-on.

If the author hadn't been born in Austin and/or ever lived here, you'd possibly have a point. But since he does have a lot of background here, I don't think he was trying to "prove" anything about the other cities, just showing frustration over how he feels Austin has changed for the worse in many ways, and impatience with the holier-than-thou attitude so prevalent here these days.

BTW those other cities could care less about trying to stop the flow to Austin.... they are having similar experiences with population explosion but it has been going on for much longer for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImOnFiya View Post
To paraphrase, you just said that comparing Houston to Austin was like comparing apples to oranges because of Houston's size, #s of new residents, culture. So why are you saying, "if you can't take it, don't try to dish it out"?
Probably refering to the fact that Austinites almost seem to enjoy degrading the state's other cities, yet are overly-sensitive to any criticism of Austin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2011, 05:21 PM
 
Location: Austin
1,618 posts, read 1,887,463 times
Reputation: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
We're much worse at comparisons. Every time someone else says the weather or traffic is bad to an Austinite, all we can do is say "well it's worse in Houston and/or Dallas." Always trying to one-up and compare other places rather than admit it or address the issue head-on.

If the author hadn't been born in Austin and/or ever lived here, you'd possibly have a point. But since he does have a lot of background here, I don't think he was trying to "prove" anything about the other cities, just showing frustration over how he feels Austin has changed for the worse in many ways, and impatience with the holier-than-thou attitude so prevalent here these days.

BTW those other cities could care less about trying to stop the flow to Austin.... they are having similar experiences with population explosion but it has been going on for much longer for them.



Probably refering to the fact that Austinites almost seem to enjoy degrading the state's other cities, yet are overly-sensitive to any criticism of Austin.
I didn't see it that way at all. It appeared to me that the author was tearing one city down in order to prop two others up. Why, I don't know. There are enough people to go around.

In real life, I don't hear Austinites bashing Dallas or Houston. No one clamoring to move to those cities, but no one bashing them. I happen to like Dallas. I don't know enough about Houston to say.

Simpler times were fun in Austin, but there were downsides, too. There were a few great things to do, although it could get a little boring. Like someone else said, some of the changes have been good. The biggest thing I miss is accessibility. Things like Aqua Festival before it got big, and any events in Austin that weren't a major people-hassle to attend.

Though, I must say, I know where to find parts of the older Austin that aren't buried or dead, and in fact are doing well. You had to have been here then to know what that was, and stayed long enough to not forget. I didn't get that impression from the author.

Finally, I wonder if Eddie Wilson knew how the author planned to present what he said. Eddie's been around long enough to know that Austin was and is much more than what happened in the 70s and 80s. In fact, I don't remember the 80s as being very significant.

Last edited by capcat; 06-12-2011 at 05:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top