U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 12:43 PM

664 posts, read 694,572 times

Advertisements

Here's another thing I noticed about the article--the great longing for the sixties and seventies. I was a child during this time, and my father, a product of the forties and fifties, railed about the hippies, pot smoking, war protesting, etc. Ironically, when I first started teaching, many of my colleagues were ten to fifteen years older than I and constantly decrying the new generations' "lack of social awareness and concern about money." So now the sixties people were doing what my geezer dad did. Times change, eras change and change can be hard to deal with for many folks. My dad didn't like changing sexual mores and pot smoking and the people in this article don't like bars serving fancy booze and the disappearance of cheap pot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2011, 01:33 PM

487 posts, read 791,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eepstein View Post
I agree. Madison is a great town, but haven't been up there in probably 6 or 7 years. It's pretty much what Austin was back in the 70's and early 80's. State capitol, based around UW, two good size lakes, hilly, etc. However, one city became very arrogant and wanted to "attempt" to hang with the "big boys". Can you guess which one??
Would it be the one that you willingly moved to and haven't moved away from for 8 years now?

Old 06-15-2011, 08:44 PM

5,219 posts, read 3,356,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffettjr View Post
The article just reeked of resentment and jealousy. He goes to the college area of west 6th street and then complains that he sees frat-boy type college guys? He goes to the ultra-trendy warehouse district and then complains that it's trendy? What's next, going to the football stadium and being shocked(!) to find football going on?

Maybe Austin really is superior...because the Austin Chron would never have to issue a seven page hit piece on another city to feel good about itself.
I didn't think it was a "hit piece" at all. There was actually a lot of truth in it, and from a native Austinite at that.

And no, the Chron doesn't need to write articles like that.... the city's residents here do it well enough on their own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin