Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 07:29 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,772,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eepstein View Post
Winters in Austin have gotten progressively colder and colder since i've lived here. We have snow occurances yearly now (two measureable snowfalls last winter) and teens have occured on several occasions during the past 3 years (perhaps not in central austin, but within the metro area) The nearly constant overcast and wind makes Austin FAR colder than most people expect. Yes, Houston could be considered a "mild" winter, it's far warmer than Austin.
Keep in mind that this last winter, most of the country experienced unusual and often wild weather. The northeast and midwest were hammered with snow, record snowfall in some places and below-average temps. Perhaps Austin was affected by the weather phenomenon this last winter? (La Nina, right?)

Yeah, teens may occur...on occasion. Sky high temps can also occur in lovely weather places like San Diego or LA....on occasion. There's a difference between suffering a day or two or three of low temps and being bailed out by a 70 day, and suffering months of day after miserable day of single digit or teen temperatures (a la Minnesota).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2011, 08:00 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times
Quote:
Winters in Austin have gotten progressively colder and colder since i've lived here. We have snow occurances yearly now (two measureable snowfalls last winter) and teens have occured on several occasions during the past 3 years (perhaps not in central austin, but within the metro area) The nearly constant overcast and wind makes Austin FAR colder than most people expect. Yes, Houston could be considered a "mild" winter, it's far warmer than Austin.
I have lived in the Austin area since 1984. I do not agree at all that winters have become progressively colder. Our snowfalls have not increased. See the historical top 10 snowfalls in Austin. It doesn't include last winter, but it wouldn't make that list anyway. I was here for the two 3 inch snowfalls in 1985 - and it was rather amazing.

Austin's Top 10 Snowfalls | kvue.com Austin (http://www.kvue.com/community/blogs/marks-weather-blog/AustinTop10Snowfalls-69726367.html - broken link)

The data disagrees with you. The average winter temperatures have not changed materially, and we aren't getting more winter precipitation.

Old 06-16-2011, 10:39 AM

1,445 posts, read 3,267,006 times
I said winters since 2003 when I moved here. So you would consider Austin a tropical city then? Snowfalls have become a yearly event, and when I moved here it didn't happen every year. In case you didn't know, i'm a big time weather dude (on the side). I take measurements at my house and have for many years. Overall, each year with the exception of 2006 (similar to 2005) has gotten colder overall. The night extremes have gotten lower, and there have been less days above 70 and 80 degrees in December and January.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I have lived in the Austin area since 1984. I do not agree at all that winters have become progressively colder. Our snowfalls have not increased. See the historical top 10 snowfalls in Austin. It doesn't include last winter, but it wouldn't make that list anyway. I was here for the two 3 inch snowfalls in 1985 - and it was rather amazing.

Austin's Top 10 Snowfalls | kvue.com Austin (http://www.kvue.com/community/blogs/marks-weather-blog/AustinTop10Snowfalls-69726367.html - broken link)

The data disagrees with you. The average winter temperatures have not changed materially, and we aren't getting more winter precipitation.

Old 06-16-2011, 10:44 AM

3,202 posts, read 6,016,857 times
Quote:
In case you didn't know, i'm a big time weather dude.

wait.. you're a guy?

Old 06-16-2011, 10:46 AM

1,445 posts, read 3,267,006 times
hmm, let me check..................**runs to bathroom then back to his desk**.........yup im a guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobert View Post
wait.. you're a guy?

Old 06-16-2011, 10:51 AM

3,202 posts, read 6,016,857 times
I always assumed you were a bored housewife.

Old 06-16-2011, 06:46 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,772,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobert View Post
I always assumed you were a bored housewife.
I don't care who you are, that's funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin