Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 06:57 PM

40 posts, read 111,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsPhelpsy View Post
Thank you all so much for your answers! My husband would be working in sales across Austin so I'm afraid he'll be stuck in some traffic... often, but that goes with the territory. I have not yet secured new employment. I've not started looking for work there yet as it could be November before we unpack the truck, and in my profession everything changes so often it might be best to get settled in and then start the hunt... although this information helps me think that I should secure something first and then move as it will affect the neighborhood we select. Hmmm... so much to consider! We'll be coming out there as soon as we get the confirmation that everything is in motion. We are really excited to join you!
If you could, DEFINITELY secure an employment first before finding a place to live. That saves chances of you being stuck in traffic and with both of you having employment will give more rental options unless your husband's alone is at least 3x the rent.

And should have you any kind broken leases, evictions or owed money to landlord for move-out or clean out fee, I also would recommend you to take care = pay it off or settle with the landlord. Apartments and even private owners (and if a private owner works with you, expect very high extra deposit) in Austin are generally strict on bad rental history. Granted there are communities that can accept that, but that depends whether you want to LIVE there or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2011, 01:56 PM

382 posts, read 628,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DORAEMON4ever View Post
There are some apartments in Austin that do not look at proof of income, but they require for you to have pretty good credit. Surprisingly, Austin apartments DO NOT accept rent up front. If they do, think very hard before you give 3 month worth of rent to a 'stranger'. Accepting rent upfront can cause more issues to apartment communities than benefit them which most of reputable management companies know better to make that an across the board guideline not to accept rent upfront even if it pays for the entire lease term. So be careful if you find an apartment that require that big amount of money of upfront.

Hopefully this info helps: Rent Austin Apartments with No Income | Relocate to Austin | URBANHUT
Thanks for your insight on this. Sounds like one should be fine with a solid credit rating and a solid account balance, though some places may have tighter requirements. Thanks for the link too!

Old 06-19-2011, 11:42 AM

5 posts, read 6,930 times
Thank you all for your insight. I have been in Property Management for nine years so I do understand the ins and outs of rentals, but I am mostly interested in the neighborhood information. Ideally we would be moving on site to an apartment community that I would manage so I am trying to figure out what area of town to look in while I search for a job!

Old 08-08-2011, 11:52 AM

382 posts, read 628,993 times
Ok...have landed in TX. From my experience...No problem renting if one has a strong credit rating, and cash balance. May also be helpful to have come from a professional level job - my case. Was up front with prospective landlords about situation before applying to assess any issue.

Also, rented house vs apartment. Seems to be price competitive in TX and a house gets one a better location for schools and more space - if these are important to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin