U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 09:24 PM

4,131 posts, read 6,939,161 times

Advertisements

Why is master bedroom downstairs more preferred in the South?

Obesity?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2011, 09:33 PM

3,176 posts, read 5,664,093 times
We are currently renting a 2700 sq ft home currently in NW Austin. We have a two small children. It has 4 LARGE bedrooms upstairs and a room that is a sitting room (??) and could also be used as a nursery or exercise room perhaps -- all upstairs.

Having moved from a home we built in CO -- where we had small bedrooms (but nice) all upstairs as well, the one thing I have determined is layout is EVERYTHING. All the bedrooms upstairs in that house didn't bother me. After being in our rental home for a month, all I think about is how nice it would be to have a one story. My kiddos could be more independent with going to and from their rooms/playroom and they likely would not be out of earshot... our current huge house just does NOT offer good flow of layout. I also think it matters where the stairs are in relation to everything else. Feels like it takes 5 minutes round-trip to go from the family room on the first floor in the back of the house to the bedrooms on the second floor .

Old 06-16-2011, 10:11 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,105 posts, read 35,832,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
Why is master bedroom downstairs more preferred in the South?

Obesity?
My theory is that people in the south are more concerned about kids hearing the sounds that might occasionally be coming out of the master bedroom than midwesterners. I also suspect it might be related to a perceived need to be closer to the exits to make it easier to "defend the castle."

Or maybe they just want to bed down closer to the kitchen so they can catch a few winks while the homemade biscuits are rising every morning.

Old 06-16-2011, 10:40 PM

14,586 posts, read 32,141,921 times
It is easier to keep the lower floors cool in the summer, even with fancy cooling setups and dual AC units.

That said, my neighbors are expecting a second child and are looking to move, in part because they currently have the master downstairs and are looking for an upstairs master.

Me personally, I could care less. When I am older, maybe I will want a one story so I can avoid the stairs, but currently plan on staying in this one for the next 20 years or so (health permitting).

Old 06-16-2011, 11:57 PM

8,930 posts, read 15,605,843 times
Well, gosh darn, y'all...not everybody has young kids and toddlers. I would think it advantageous to have active youngsters/teens upstairs on the opposite side of the house...actually the same for guest quarters. Our downstairs master is not disturbed when someone comes down the stairs or goes to the kitchen. 'They' have privacy upstairs and don't have to worry about disturbing us downstairs(no rooms over our master). Works for us!

In theory, we could convert our game room and one guest room into a super master suite upstairs if that happened to be desired. Then, the bottom master could be for an injured/aging person, I reckon.

Old 06-17-2011, 07:16 AM

509 posts, read 1,437,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
Well, gosh darn, y'all...not everybody has young kids and toddlers. I would think it advantageous to have active youngsters/teens upstairs on the opposite side of the house...actually the same for guest quarters. Our downstairs master is not disturbed when someone comes down the stairs or goes to the kitchen. 'They' have privacy upstairs and don't have to worry about disturbing us downstairs(no rooms over our master). Works for us!

In theory, we could convert our game room and one guest room into a super master suite upstairs if that happened to be desired. Then, the bottom master could be for an injured/aging person, I reckon.
We do have young children and a toddler and prefer a master down with the kiddos bedrooms and a gameroom up. I'm a long term planner and, like Coach Rick said, when they are teenagers we'll love that they have the whole upstairs to themselves. Plus, you never know when DH or I will have trouble with the stairs. I really don't want to move again just because we didn't plan well for our long term needs. But, everyone is different.

Old 06-17-2011, 07:24 AM

597 posts, read 1,205,798 times
Get a ranch if you can. That way anytime you get new furniture stairs don't have to be a consideration.

Old 06-17-2011, 09:07 AM

7,538 posts, read 8,641,516 times
We have the master down. When buying, I really wanted a house with all the bedrooms up. Being from the Northeast, that's just what I was used to. I also had a baby and was planning for more at the time, so I really didn't want to drudge up and down the stairs all night. That said, having the master down doesn't bother me like I thought it would, especially now that the kids are older.

We looked at some single story houses and ruled them out quickly. They all seemed to have confusing floorplans to me. But the bigger issue is that they take up too much lot space. Let's face it, a 3000 square foot one-story house takes up a lot more land area than a 3000 square foot 2-story house. And when lots are not that big to begin with, in my opinion (remember, I'm from the Northeast), that makes a huge difference.

Old 06-17-2011, 09:21 AM

14,586 posts, read 32,141,921 times
Quote:
so I really didn't want to drudge up and down the stairs all night.
We actually moved upstairs to the guestroom for a few months after each of our children had moved into the nursery for full-time. Going up and down the stairs at night would have been no fun, but coming down in the morning to shower in the master was really no issue.

As to the OP, I don't think that up or down master will really affect saleability - two story houses sell for a little less per sq ft than one story, but you also buy them for a little less. I can't say that I have noticed any difference in on-market time in our neighborhood, but I think part of that is that the average time on market is really short right now. The neighbors are about to put theirs on the market, and the average is/was 19 days...

Old 06-17-2011, 10:19 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,893,844 times
I definitely prefer the master up. We have a 16 year old, a 12 year old and a 2 year old in the house. The two older kids are usually upstairs while the 2 year old is usually downstairs with us. To me, it's just a matter of privacy. In my first house, my master was upstairs, and my son's room was right next to mine. When he'd have friends over, I could hear all the commotion, talking, laughter, etc. I would never purchase another home with all bedrooms upstairs. But it's just a matter of preference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin