Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 09:12 PM

1,430 posts, read 2,370,142 times

Advertisements

For close in BBQ, I really like Ruby's on 29th street. The beef ribs are awesome.

Edit: We had them cater our wedding. Years later people still talk about how much they loved that food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2011, 09:15 PM

1,430 posts, read 2,370,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
KC BBQ: sweet molasses based sauces, beef burnt ends and creamy cole slaw with crisp onion rings
TX BBQ: spicy, robust based sauces, beef briskets and spicy cole slaw with mayo based potato salad
SC BBQ: vinegar based sauces, pulled pork a main stay with mustard based potato salads or green beans with pork
New Orleans BBQ: spicy butter based sauces, featuring shrimp, served with dirty rice or other Cajun dishes on the side

All of these are wonderful, but I think TX wins out. I just went to the Salt Lick today, and nothing beats their pork ribs and brisket, oh my God! I also love the hot potato salad there.
KC also has awesome pork ribs. In general I like KC for pork and Texas for beef.

Old 07-16-2011, 10:59 PM

13 posts, read 22,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
KC BBQ: sweet molasses based sauces, beef burnt ends and creamy cole slaw with crisp onion rings
TX BBQ: spicy, robust based sauces, beef briskets and spicy cole slaw with mayo based potato salad
SC BBQ: vinegar based sauces, pulled pork a main stay with mustard based potato salads or green beans with pork
New Orleans BBQ: spicy butter based sauces, featuring shrimp, served with dirty rice or other Cajun dishes on the side

All of these are wonderful, but I think TX wins out. I just went to the Salt Lick today, and nothing beats their pork ribs and brisket, oh my God! I also love the hot potato salad there.
Shooting up my list, is Korean BBQ. Those short ribs at the Korean BBQ place in the old Outback location by the Highland Mall Theater, are hard to beat.

Old 07-17-2011, 02:19 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,839,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpurcell View Post
KC also has awesome pork ribs. In general I like KC for pork and Texas for beef.
The sauces for KC BBQ is a little too sweet for my taste. That being said, I would love to have a bowl of those sweet Jack Stack baked beans with those little chunks of burnt ends in them. The TX version of baked beans is always salty and spicy with chunks of pork in them, which is good, but sometimes I get a yearning for the KC baked beans. Man that is good stuff.

The best onion rings on the planet are at Jack Stack in KC (95th and Metcalf I believe). No grease at all, just large crisp onion rings with that sweet BBQ sauce. Yummy!

That being said, the brisket is far better here as is the beef ribs and sausage.

SC rules for BBQ chicken too.

Man, I need to stop thinking about this or it will be hard to maintain my diet.

Old 07-17-2011, 03:13 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,193,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobert View Post
No small feat, considering it's Bon Appetit that's bestowing the honor.

National magazine names Austin barbecue joint the best in America | kvue.com Austin

I had been meaning to go there for some time, but now it's going to be a 2 hour wait.

Congrats, Franklin!
The Daytripper, on KNCT (PBS Belton) is doing a bit on BBQ in Texas... on my TV, as I opened this thread.

Seems the Texas Legislature has bestowed the 'BBQ Capital of Texas' on Lockhart, a bit southeast of Austin.

I suspect a bunch of good ol' boys from Texas is gonna know more about good BBQ than mag rag from Nu Yawk Citee.

My take is that I don't think anyone can reliably designate any BBQ place the best on any given day. I suspect the best bar-b-que in Texas is gonna depend on where yur eatin' it.

Old 07-17-2011, 07:00 PM

662 posts, read 1,447,812 times
I saw Green Mesquite on "Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives", and I realized I had been driving past that place regularly. My foodie friend and I stopped for lunch one day, and I had the best pork ribs I have ever had. They were meaty, juicy and tender. I have had many a dried-out pork rib, but these were pure heaven.

Old 07-17-2011, 09:23 PM

597 posts, read 1,314,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonexpat View Post
I saw Green Mesquite on "Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives", and I realized I had been driving past that place regularly. My foodie friend and I stopped for lunch one day, and I had the best pork ribs I have ever had. They were meaty, juicy and tender. I have had many a dried-out pork rib, but these were pure heaven.
I just ate their recently and had their brisket, very dry. Not good.

Old 10-31-2014, 09:07 AM

5,184 posts, read 7,262,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjaxon View Post
Artz Rib House on S. Lamar. Really good BBQ, cole slaw and great live music (love the Blue Grass)! They have really good lunches, too.

If you appreciated what a special place Artz Rib House was, there will be a celebration of Art Blondin's life this Sunday at Threadgill's South from 4:30 to 9:30. Music starts at 5 with tons of special guests.

A tribute to a lost piece of South Austin, and the special person that made it so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: