U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 10:22 AM

6 posts, read 3,833 times

Advertisements

I am considering to move from South of Boston to North of Austin towards the end of August a few concerns if anyone can give me some insight or helpful hints I have done a lot of research but would really appreciate any feedback
1. Looking to apply for a position in Travis County Court system there are several openings I do have a Bachelors in CJ are the jobs quite competitive? Any other places I should consider applying to?
2. Looking to reside Parkside at Lake Creek has anyone lived there or known someone who has? I have been told that it would be too far north to work in Travis County? Any other apartment suggestions? Looking to pay no more than 850 for rent and utilities.
3. Would public transportation be more favorable?
4. Moving with a cat any tips? I’m a bit nervous as he is used to being outside for a majority of the day?
5. When and/if arrive where are the best places to meet people?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2011, 05:37 PM

1,091 posts, read 1,245,847 times
1. I'm not sure, but I don't think they're as competitive as the private sector. Other places I would consider applying are the Williamson County court system (N of Travis), Hays County court system (S of Travis) both suburban counties.
2. No. Yes, commute not good. I would suggest living near South Austin, off Mopac along Barton Skyway (number of apartments). Also, NW Austin (off of Far West Blvd), very reasonable, little or no crime, very pretty.
3. No, unless you live central, there is decent public transport within the apartment area off Far West, however.
4. Keep the cat calm with treats. Very hot now (lately 100s), best to keep it inside until fall.
5. Downtown, gym, the street corner (sigh!).

Good luck!

Old 06-24-2011, 10:21 AM

Default moving to Texas anyone have advice????

I am considering to move from South of Boston to North of Austin towards the end of August a few concerns if anyone can give me some insight or helpful hints I have done a lot of research but would really appreciate any feedback
1. Looking to apply for a position in Travis County Court system there are several openings I do have a Bachelors in CJ are the jobs quite competitive? Any other places I should consider applying to?
2. Looking to reside Parkside at Lake Creek has anyone lived there or known someone who has? I have been told that it would be too far north to work in Travis County? Any other apartment suggestions? Looking to pay no more than 850 for rent and utilities.
4. Moving with a cat any tips? Iím a bit nervous as he is used to being outside for a majority of the day?
Thanks!

Old 06-24-2011, 10:22 AM

Default Moving lets try this again!

4. Moving with a cat any tips? Iím a bit nervous as he is used to being outside for a majority of the day?
Thanks!

Old 06-24-2011, 11:08 AM

2,596 posts, read 2,697,261 times
You posted this exact thing just a few days ago. Why are you posting a duplicate without any new information?

Old 06-24-2011, 11:40 AM

5,379 posts, read 9,329,554 times
You probably want to repost this in the Texas forun

Old 06-24-2011, 12:54 PM

2,596 posts, read 2,697,261 times
Now you have three identical threads, all in the same forum, posted within two days of each other. Just stick with one. If you're not getting the answers you're looking for, try posting different questions or follow-ups, rather than starting a new thread.

moving from Boston to Austin

http://www.city-data.com/forum/austi...ve-advice.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/austi...try-again.html

Public transportation is problematic here, unless you really plan it out and live right on the bus line. For my commute, it would take 2 hours and several bus changes to make it from home to work, when driving takes 10 minutes, and 20 in traffic. You're going to live in an apartment and leave your cat outside the majority of the day? I can't say that sounds like the best idea to me, even without the heat.

Old 06-24-2011, 01:05 PM

4,663 posts, read 6,851,779 times
All jobs in Austin are very competitive, government jobs included. It is hard to impossible to rely exclusively on public transport in Austin unless you are a UT student and using the UT shuttle system.

Do you have significant savings? Enough to pay your expenses for 6 months or so? Do you have family here?

There are many MANY cultural differences between Boston and Austin, you may be assuming that many things will be the same when in fact, they are unique to the east coast. If you have family in Boston and an existing network, you should work that network hard to find a job where you are!

Coming cold to Austin without a job or family or any connections is a very hard thing.

Hooray to you for being responsible enough to bring your cat with you. Keep the car very cold (cats tend to panic when they get warm -- like people in a grounded airplane when the enclosed space gets hot and humid), have a carrier but most cats will relax when you are doing steady highway driving (as long as the temp is cool) keep a litter box in a footwell. If you think your cat is likely to freak out, ask your vet for a sedative.

good luck

(but seriously consider staying where you are and save the expense of moving)

Old 06-24-2011, 01:21 PM

248 posts, read 269,669 times
Please have a job before moving or lots of savings (though might not be worth the move then..)

Depends on what kind of people you want to meet. If you're into sports, ASCC is good.

Old 06-24-2011, 01:25 PM

12,761 posts, read 13,023,333 times
I can only comment on the cat issue. We have three (unfortunately). And they live outside 99% of the time. They do very well and have fun chasing and catching lizards and birds. I am always disappointed when their chases result in a successful catch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin