U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-07-2007, 09:32 PM

21 posts, read 78,981 times

Advertisements

Hello again,

We will officially be in Austin in 24 more days! Yeah

I just had a couple of questions and sorry if they are repeats.

1. What is it like to live in the Arboretum?

2. I hear Austin has excellent night life and especially for the younger crowd because of the University. Is there any night life for people in their 30s-40s? Not a dance club, more of a cool loungy bar vibe or even a laid back jazz vibe.

Thanks so much
Pam
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2007, 08:13 AM

8,774 posts, read 18,256,126 times
1) Well, if you live in the arboretum, there are lots of clothes on racks, and cool toys at the sharper image, and you can eat dinner at the cheesecake factory... Unless you are talking about living in the Arboretum area? .

That is a very nice location, in general, in that there is box store shopping close by, a generally good school chain, and you have relatively easy access to downtown. There are a variety of neighborhoods in that area which can vary quite widely in 'vibe'.

2) There is an older nightlife scene, some of which is downtown, and some of which is further out. Depends on what you like to do. Zilker Theater Productions out on the hillside in Zilker Park winds up for the summer this weekend. Nutty Brown Cafe always has music on the weekends, and the Broken Spoke can be an experience. There are some 'older' clubs downtown, which are too numerous to mention. Shady Grove has 'unplugged at the Grove' on Thursday nights. Some people will still like the warehouse district scene, but it is more of a late 20s/early 30s thing, I think. Really, it shouldn't take much to find something to do. Check on Austin360 or Citysearh.com, too, or in the Austin Chronicle online.

Old 08-08-2007, 09:55 AM

2,305 posts, read 3,446,385 times
I lived in the Arboretum area when I first moved to Austin last March and I think it is a great area. It is very safe. We rented an apartment off of Jollyville Rd. for 3 months before we bought a home in Round Rock. It was a great place to live while getting the feel for the other areas in and around Austin.

It's 15 minutes South of Lakeline mall where there is a ton of retail stores, yet it's not that far of a drive to downtown. There are quite a few restaurants right in the Arboretum area as well as a Costco, Sam's Club, Whole Foods, REI, Barnes & Noble, Einstein's bagles, etc.

You will notice some homeless people that hang around Braker and 183 a lot in-between the HEB and Randall's grocery stores, but they rarely tend to bother anyone.

Old 08-08-2007, 01:50 PM

98 posts, read 353,482 times
Reed's Jazz is of the "adult contemporary" sort usualy(ie not jazz...sorry personal issue). The only "good" jazz club we have is the Elephant Room. You can catch a few good acts around town as well but we are not a "jazz city" unfortunatly.

There is lots to do and places to go for the 30-40 crowd however in austin its more 30-50. Arboretum is nice. Not too far from the nightlife and you get to go back Mopac instead of 35 with all the 18-30 year olds.

Old 08-08-2007, 02:18 PM

8,774 posts, read 18,256,126 times
Elephant room is pretty nice...although it is weird to have Jazz w/o smoke, it is about the only way I can go and not end up sick.

Old 08-08-2007, 10:55 PM

21 posts, read 78,981 times
Thanks so much for the help! Great information.

Pam

Old 08-08-2007, 11:06 PM

655 posts, read 1,689,242 times
You forgot to mention Amy's Ice cream at the Arboretum. It's really hard to forget how good Mexican Vanilla flavor is.

Old 08-09-2007, 02:09 AM

1,618 posts, read 4,397,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phisch View Post
You forgot to mention Amy's Ice cream at the Arboretum. It's really hard to forget how good Mexican Vanilla flavor is.
Close to 360, Arboretum is not my taste of wine and dine. I think that some westlake folks tried to save money and move to the Arboretum, but the money followed them. Luxury car dealerships near by, but not sure if there a starbucks , lol.

Old 08-10-2007, 02:01 PM

655 posts, read 1,689,242 times
Meh. The SBUX is inside the Barnes & Noble.

Old 08-10-2007, 10:21 PM

8,241 posts, read 10,600,630 times
There is a huge starbucks next to Saks, across from the Arboretum on Great Hills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin