Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 06:53 PM

1,430 posts, read 2,374,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brain86 View Post
I dig it - you Austin peeps really love your city no doubt about it. I guess I was raised a little differently...I always DESIRED to be able to wear a nice suit to work and see the excitement of a big city type of lifestyle. DC is a little too much for me, so Austin is nice.

Cool city yall have down there, the only problem I have are the hipsters thats all.
Hispters?

Being laid back != hipster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 07:19 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm57553 View Post
Yes, it's too laid back and yes, it bothers me. I've posted before about interviewing and/or my husband interviewing people for professional jobs who showed up to their interview in jeans, t-shirts, and/or flip-flops. IMO, it is not only unprofessional, it shows a lack of respect for the person who is taking the time to interview you.

Frankly, I do not care what you wear when you are out and about, but there are certain circumstances where it is just not appropriate. What bothers me is the arrogance of people who think they are above such societal norms. Grow up already.
Well I guess you and your husband don't need to hire these people do you?

I have interviewed many software types over the last 20 years in Austin. Although I care about the "presentation" someone makes for themselves, I am much more interested in their programming or technical skills. I would frown on someone that showed up in a t-shirt - but that has never happened.

So in my experience, job seekers have not dis-respected the company or position they sought through their dress.

Old 06-23-2011, 07:23 PM

1,157 posts, read 2,651,276 times
For the record I have an entire closet of suits and related wear, but it is just to hot to care here. If I was back in NYC, DC or elsewhere they might feel more appropriate.

Old 06-23-2011, 08:11 PM

2,627 posts, read 6,571,990 times
Some of it is just the way start-ups and tech companies have always been run. I worked for a start-up software company in Palo Alto for a couple years and everyone wore jeans, shorts, and polo shirts, but we could get away with wearing t-shirts. I had the same type of dress code at a bio-tech company that I worked at near the beach in San Diego. We could get away with wearing shorts there too, so it's not just Austin. Maybe again it's more of a South West thing?

I think it might even just be a more widespread trend for people under 40 nowadays. If you feel comfortable in what you're wearing, you're more productive. You can't tell the really wealthy higher-ups from the hourly workers. Everybody is the same and is important to the company. For example, the founder of the start-up that I worked at in Palo Alto had 5 million dollars cash in his bank account yet his only car was a 3 year old Nissan Sentra.

Old 06-23-2011, 08:25 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,418,653 times
It's one thing to wear those things to work once you're hired, but an interview is a different situation. Dressing like you are part of the company already is a little presumptuous, don't you think?

And to address the earlier poster, you're right. And we don't hire them.

Old 06-23-2011, 08:41 PM

2,627 posts, read 6,571,990 times
Quote:
It's one thing to wear those things to work once you're hired, but an interview is a different situation. Dressing like you are part of the company already is a little presumptuous, don't you think?
Agreed, but the Op wasn't talking about interviews, just the way that he saw people dressed around Austin in general. He didn't see a bunch of people in suits walking around like he does in DC.

For an interview with a tech company, I would normally wear khakis with a button up shirt without a tie if it was a shorts and t-shirts type place. We had a guy come in for an interview wearing a full suit one time and you could tell that he borrowed if from someone else because it didn't really fit him. It was actually a bit distracting.

I don't expect a 25 year old programmer to go out and buy a $300 suit and have it tailored just to wear it once to an interview when he can just go to another company that will hire him without that. I think that a pair of business casual pants and a button up shirt or nice polo would be acceptable, but I wouldn't turn good talent away if it was wearing jeans when I'm sitting there in jeans doing the interview myself.

Old 06-23-2011, 10:52 PM

355 posts, read 922,884 times
Quote:
It's not just young people. I have encountered it with people well into their 40's and 50's.
Guess I should have worn socks to the interview...

Old 06-24-2011, 07:37 AM

12,946 posts, read 13,328,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonlime22 View Post
Guess I should have worn socks to the interview...
My last job interview was in 1969.

Old 06-24-2011, 09:29 AM

66 posts, read 330,564 times
What is considered professional dress code in many cities is changing. When I was a teacher in Raleigh standard work attire included items like skirts or slacks with a nice top or a dress. When I moved to Albuquerque I was shocked at the "professional" attire the teachers wore. Jeans, shorts and t-shirts were the norm. One teacher (not a coach) wore sweats almost everyday. When I went to my interview I wore a nice dress and a strand of pearls. People were still talking about the fact that I wore pearls 3 years later when I left.

As time went on I got more casual as well. I would wear nice jeans and a dressy top (just couldn't do the t-shirt and shorts thing) or a casual skirt. I have to admit it was nice not having to iron at night after work or pay for dry cleaning but at the same time I sometimes missed feeling more professional. My kids in NC seemed more respectful but I don't know if that was because of the way the staff presented themselves or the demographics of the kids.

I don't really see Austin as any more casual then Tucson where we went to undergrad. Shorts and flip-flops were standard even at nice restaurants or off-Broadway plays. I think the sunny, hot cities adapt by being more casual.

Old 06-24-2011, 10:06 AM

152 posts, read 280,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brain86 View Post
Hey guys,

I am a graduate of UTSA, and never frequented Austin too much (besides the occasional 6th street visit on Friday night, or a Salt Lick trip). However, my sister moved there about a year ago and I got the chance to go see her for a week.

The parts of Austin I normally saw while living in San Antone was just off 35, and some of the campus/downtown area - nothing really that impressive. However, she lives over near Barton Springs area - a little more hip and young.

My question to you Austinites is this...do you sometimes feel Austin is TOO laid back? I just never saw anyone wearing professional attire anywhere. It seems like everyone there is a computer programer or works at home. I've never seen such a laid back town. Considering the fact I live and work in DC, Austin is crazy laid back seeming. Maybe that's part of the charm, but I felt like no one works around there. Don't get me wrong, I'm not judging at all - I think it's a cool town.

Also, I noticed there was an insane amount of hipsters in the area...is that something that bothers yall? I know about the whole "Fixie" (Fixed Gear Bikes) craze that is really popular among the artistic, hipster crowd...and I literally saw 50 a day riding around Austin. I just feel like I'm getting judged down there for not being hip enough.

Just looking for some feedback on what y'all think of your city! Thanks.
Yes we are too laid back, for people that think we're too laid back.

No we definitely DO NOT need or want any East Coast attitude!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: