Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 05:41 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vizionblind View Post
Yes, I am from the east coast where things are more fast paced, but good grief people, speed up to AT LEAST the speed limit. yeesh!
OP, you do realize that the speed limit represents the top speed that you're supposed to drive, correct?

Old 06-26-2011, 06:45 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,418,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noellestar View Post
I'm from the east coast as well and I don't have a problem with slow drivers overall... but the entire concept of "slow, stay right" or "pass on the left" is completely lost on this city in every possible way. It drives me insane. If you are not actively passing someone.. STAY TO THE RIGHT. How hard is it?
Apparently it's pretty hard for folks down here. So is parallel parking. I am amazed how how many people here can't parallel park or can only do it after 12 or so tries.

Old 06-26-2011, 08:50 PM

63 posts, read 133,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sastrv View Post
Ha ha . Hilarious post. I recently went to North Carolina and visited places like Asheville. I got so sick of the driving habits out there. It was like they had a very bad day, or just fed up with life and had serious hatred towards towards everyone on he road :-) And when I came back, it was such a pleasure to see people driving calmly, and letting you get into the lane on your left if you have done a mistake of being on the exit lane. In NC, people would not let me change lane at all if they were close to you. I wish it was a one off observation. But then several friends told me the same thing about the driving habits on East Coast. Some call it aggressive. I call it stupidly rude and dangerous to everyone. So I guess Austin driving is still peaceful and elegant :-)
it's called being selfish

Old 06-26-2011, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vizionblind View Post
it's called being selfish
No, thinking that the rules of the road don't, or shouldn't, apply to you is selfish.

Old 06-27-2011, 08:36 AM

238 posts, read 364,976 times
I actually consider myself to be a slower driver, not one of those crazy east coast, bat out of hell drivers. I realize that the left lane is not legally designated as passing lane only here in Texas, but i feel that it is common courtesy (I'd say common sense but most people don't have much of that), to stay to the right if you drive the speed lint or less. Even as a "speed limit driver," I've found myself behind drivers going well below the speed limit in the left lane.

Old 06-27-2011, 09:33 AM

Oh, absolutely, it's a courtesy that should be extended (plus, you know, letting the cop bait by to protect the rest of us ).

It's the sense of entitlement that they deserve to drive significantly faster than the speed limit (left lane or not) and that the people who are driving the speed limit (not below) are the initial cause of the problem that raises my eyebrow and makes me sigh about the apparent inability to even understand the concept of accepting personal responsibility for the consequences of one's own actions that seems to permeate the culture, demonstrated quite clearly on the roadways.

Old 06-27-2011, 10:50 AM

136 posts, read 328,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
It's the sense of entitlement that they deserve to drive significantly faster than the speed limit (left lane or not)
This "left lane" business is interesting. As a native Texan, I'd like to ask if I'm alone in my perception that the "left lane thing" is typically applied to major roads only.

Obviously, when on a divided 4 lane highway between cities/towns, one should only drive in the left lane if they are passing. But, what do others do when on roads like 360, 620, or 2222 (assuming it's not congested, and this point is moot).

Even on the non-divided 4 lanes (including some in town) out of habit, safety and courtesy, I always drive in the right lane, regardless of my speed - that is of course, until I have a left turn approaching. (Again, assuming traffic is not congested.)

What thoroughly annoys me, is when 2 cars are going under the speed limit, and they just sit there side-by-side, as though they're the only ones on the road - and they can clearly see a dozen or more cars behind them. Not only is this dangerous, but it causes traffic in general to slow down - which then causes others behind them to change lanes often (and in vain) trying to get past the bottleneck - which of course, contributes to collisions.

Old 06-27-2011, 11:22 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times
Texas clearly has a pass left drive right law. It says:

§545.051 - DRIVING ON RIGHT SIDE OF ROADWAY
b) An operator of a vehicle on a roadway moving more slowly than the normal speed of other vehicles at the time and place under the existing conditions shall drive in the right-hand lane available for vehicles, or as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway, unless the operator is:
(1) passing another vehicle; or
(2) preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway.

It does not say anything about whether the faster traffic is going the speed limit, above, or below it. It says if a driver is moving more slowly than the normal speed of vehicles at the time, then move right. It does not give a driver the right to become a law enforcement officer and attempt to enforce speed limits.

It is obvious that in most cases law enforcement expects and tolerates vehicles moving somewhat above the speed limit when road and traffic conditions allow.

The link below is useful as a guide to good driving practices in Texas.

The Texas Highway Man Pages - Texas Traffic Laws (and good driving habits)

Last edited by hoffdano; 06-27-2011 at 11:37 AM..

Old 06-27-2011, 12:02 PM

Hoffdano, there are other parts of the statute that address speeding and the fact that it's the law. Interestingly, folks of the "the left lane is for driving like a bat out of hell" persuasion always seem to think that the part you quoted is important but the other parts that say they have to go the speed limit no matter WHICH lane they're in, don't. They also ignore the "left lane is for passing only only when TxDOT so declares and puts up signs stating so" part.

Wonder why that might be?

Old 06-27-2011, 02:54 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,501,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Hoffdano, there are other parts of the statute that address speeding and the fact that it's the law. Interestingly, folks of the "the left lane is for driving like a bat out of hell" persuasion always seem to think that the part you quoted is important but the other parts that say they have to go the speed limit no matter WHICH lane they're in, don't. They also ignore the "left lane is for passing only only when TxDOT so declares and puts up signs stating so" part.

Wonder why that might be?
The point (which I am convinced is useless in pointing out to you, as you've clearly deemed yourself as the Moral Voice of both this board as well as the State of Texas and have a total inability to keep from posting over & over in every stinking thread on this ridiculously overdone topic) is that it's not up to a driver in the left lane to decide what is or is not 'fast enough'. The law says to go with the flow of traffic, and slower traffic keeping right is part of the proper flow of traffic.

Sweet merciful Christ, HOW many times must this be pointed out???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin