Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 04:53 PM

844 posts, read 2,018,861 times

Advertisements

I'm not. I live here. But those of you who are "thinking of moving to Austin" I have some questions for you:

- If you have no knowledge of whether there are any jobs in your field, why are you thinking of moving here?

- If you have no knowledge of what the weather is like, why are you thinking of moving here?

- If you have no knowledge of what neighborhood are like or what schools might be good, why are you thinking of moving here?

- If you have no knowledge of what people are like here or what there is to do, why are you thinking of moving here?

This doesn't apply to everyone but I feel like I am seeing a lot of posts from people who are already thinking of moving here for no discernible reason - no job offer, no desire to go to school for a specific field at a specific school, no need to move nearer family - they're just "considering Austin". Please tell me "why"!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2011, 05:16 PM

970 posts, read 1,871,599 times
Kia,

These are good questions.......

In some cases, I think it has to do with "youthfulness." I moved to SoCal with no job, no family there, not sure what I was getting into. I moved away after three years, but I'm glad I did it and got it out of my system.

On the other hand, for the older posters (esp. with children,) they should investigate thoroughly....no excuse. We visited here many times before we moved. It also helps that I do have family here, and am somewhat familiar with Austin in that I am a native Texasn and have travelled here many times over the years.

Old 06-25-2011, 10:21 PM

1,618 posts, read 6,613,936 times
Everyone is moving here because Yahoo.com and Forbes is saying Austin is in the top-10 places to live.

Flash backs from the past:

2005 - Forbes.com: Lists

2009 - #8 Austin TX - Forbes.com

2010 - Forbes: Austin best economic recovery in U.S. | Austin Business Journal

-------------------------

Yahoo.com

2010 - #1 ranked 10 Best Cities for the Next Decade - Yahoo! Real Estate

And if so, all I have to say for the one's whom did are suckerZ!!!

Old 06-26-2011, 05:30 AM

3,576 posts, read 2,192,497 times
What Forbes does not say is it can take some time to find a job. You can put in 100's of applications and if your lucky get 1 employer to call. Have a job lined up or make sure you have 6 months worth of expenses. Don't jump and move here if you have no job and kids. Its just not a good combination. Have one parent come on their own until he/she can secure employment then move the family. If your retired heck (and have a decent income) come on down

Old 06-26-2011, 07:21 AM

12,942 posts, read 13,317,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike78613 View Post
Everyone is moving here because Yahoo.com and Forbes is saying Austin is in the top-10 places to live.

Flash backs from the past:

2005 - Forbes.com: Lists

2009 - #8 Austin TX - Forbes.com

2010 - Forbes: Austin best economic recovery in U.S. | Austin Business Journal

-------------------------

Yahoo.com

2010 - #1 ranked 10 Best Cities for the Next Decade - Yahoo! Real Estate

And if so, all I have to say for the one's whom did are suckerZ!!!

They've been publishing those "Austin is great" lists since my family moved here in 1959 after Dad retired from the Army.

We were already familiar with Austin after having been stationed at Fort Sam & Camp Hood in the late '40s. Never heard of those kinds of lists before that time.

Also, my oldest brother was already a student at UT. The only reason he had transferred to Texas from St.Louis University was because somebody had told him UT was a great party school.

Sure am glad Dad decided to retire here, because for years he had been considering Fort Smith, Arkansas.

Old 06-26-2011, 10:41 AM

515 posts, read 1,396,388 times
Finding a job here is really difficult, Just ask my daughter and several of her friends. Some are just looking for low level jobs while in school and others are looking for more as they are college graduates. In all cases and many applications/resumes later they are all still unemployed.

Old 06-26-2011, 11:08 AM

327 posts, read 766,580 times
I suppose it's hard to find a job in Austin. I actually work as an electrical engineer in Killeen and offered to work for at a few electronics companies in Austin for free because I want to have some experience in that, and they STILL turn me down. Gotta love it.

Old 06-26-2011, 01:59 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,046,713 times
I'd guess a degree of desperation (lots of the country outside of TX is not doing so well) and all of the ridiculous HYPE and puff-piece articles Austin gets, which sets it apart from the other TX cities (which don't attract the same hype and puff-piece articles written by the media, for whatever reason.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiacook View Post
I'm not. I live here. But those of you who are "thinking of moving to Austin" I have some questions for you:

- If you have no knowledge of whether there are any jobs in your field, why are you thinking of moving here?

- If you have no knowledge of what the weather is like, why are you thinking of moving here?

- If you have no knowledge of what neighborhood are like or what schools might be good, why are you thinking of moving here?

- If you have no knowledge of what people are like here or what there is to do, why are you thinking of moving here?

This doesn't apply to everyone but I feel like I am seeing a lot of posts from people who are already thinking of moving here for no discernible reason - no job offer, no desire to go to school for a specific field at a specific school, no need to move nearer family - they're just "considering Austin". Please tell me "why"!

Old 06-26-2011, 02:49 PM

2,627 posts, read 6,570,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eichlerfan View Post
Finding a job here is really difficult, Just ask my daughter and several of her friends. Some are just looking for low level jobs while in school and others are looking for more as they are college graduates. In all cases and many applications/resumes later they are all still unemployed.
This is meant in the most positive way possible, but have you offered to take a look at their resumes and cover letters just to have another set of eyes look them over? Even college graduates might not have a lot of job searching experience and could have some red flags on their resumes or cover letters.

We just hired a desktop support person and we ended up hiring someone out of state who is paying for his own relocation. We had over 60 people apply during the window that we had the job open and we literally threw out 25% of the applicants because their resumes or cover letters were really bad. There were many typos and objective statements that were completely different than the job they were applying for.

My wife's company has hired a few people this year as well and she has complained about the quality of applicants just like I have. When we state in the job posting that you need to submit 3 professional references along with your resume and only half the people do that, it's a bit discouraging on the competence level of the pool of applicants as a whole that we're working with. With all this said, yes the Austin job market is probably very competitive due to the quantity of people applying, but if you're very good at your job, have good demonstrated experience, and you're willing to work for Austin "discounted" wages (probably less than what you make in your current state) then you have a good chance of finding a job within a couple months in my experience (at least if you're in a tech field).

Old 06-26-2011, 07:06 PM

515 posts, read 1,396,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark311 View Post
This is meant in the most positive way possible, but have you offered to take a look at their resumes and cover letters just to have another set of eyes look them over? Even college graduates might not have a lot of job searching experience and could have some red flags on their resumes or cover letters.

We just hired a desktop support person and we ended up hiring someone out of state who is paying for his own relocation. We had over 60 people apply during the window that we had the job open and we literally threw out 25% of the applicants because their resumes or cover letters were really bad. There were many typos and objective statements that were completely different than the job they were applying for.

My wife's company has hired a few people this year as well and she has complained about the quality of applicants just like I have. When we state in the job posting that you need to submit 3 professional references along with your resume and only half the people do that, it's a bit discouraging on the competence level of the pool of applicants as a whole that we're working with. With all this said, yes the Austin job market is probably very competitive due to the quantity of people applying, but if you're very good at your job, have good demonstrated experience, and you're willing to work for Austin "discounted" wages (probably less than what you make in your current state) then you have a good chance of finding a job within a couple months in my experience (at least if you're in a tech field).
Of course I can't speak for all of her friends, but I know my daughter's applications (she's just looking for a part time job while in college) is good. My husband (who is director of sales for a very large company) checked it out before she sent them back, and still no luck. But I do know what you mean. I've heard horror stories of some resumes that are being turned in by college graduates. There is an art to putting together a good resume and interviewing if you are lucky enough to get to that point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin