Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 02:29 PM

4 posts, read 4,949 times

Advertisements

Maggie-Mae,
I'm curious what you decided and what your exprerience has been. We are relocating to the area and have the same list as you did. So far, we love DS as a place to live and am trying to evaluate the schools there. We also like the Spicewood area (and have heard great things about West Lake hills elementary). We are looking for 5 acres and a rural lifestyle but with great schools (preferably public but open to private). Love an update. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2015, 02:49 PM

326 posts, read 681,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marladb View Post
Maggie-Mae,
I'm curious what you decided and what your exprerience has been. We are relocating to the area and have the same list as you did. So far, we love DS as a place to live and am trying to evaluate the schools there. We also like the Spicewood area (and have heard great things about West Lake hills elementary). We are looking for 5 acres and a rural lifestyle but with great schools (preferably public but open to private). Love an update. Thanks!
I think you mean West Cypress Hills Elementary. It's out in Spicewood and is the newest elementary in LTISD. There is no West Lake Hills Elementary in Eanes.

If you want a more "rural" lifestyle and good schools, then Spicewood sounds like a good bet. Just make sure you're in LTISD and not out in Marble Falls.

Old 01-13-2015, 01:12 AM

88 posts, read 105,576 times
I have been in dripping for over 20 years and felt it's growing pains. But most of which has been for the positive. The schools are top notch, but do not offer Magnet programs like in Austin. There is no performing arts or science academies, etc. But the academics are rigorous, especially in AP classes. 5 acres in Eanes is cost prohibitive, but possible in LT and DS. I have lots of clients that move out from circle c, Shady Hollow, etc and most feel it is worth it. Hope that helps!

Old 01-14-2015, 02:29 AM

78 posts, read 122,844 times
Westlake is like snoody RICH (and located very close to downtown)
Lake Travis is like suburb RICH (an hour from downtown austin, a lake town)
Dripping Springs is like country RICH (30 minutes from downtown in the hill country)

They are so totally different! If you live in Westlake you live in Austin, but Dripping Springs and Lake Travis have enough going on in those areas where there is no need to drive the extra 30 minutes - 1 hour to actually go into Austin. Westlake has everything as well but you can get downtown in 5 minutes.

I am all for Westlake, but it's expensive and too pretentious for some people. For 700,000 in Westlake it would be an old house but you could build for way cheaper in Dripping and Lake Travis. I assume Dripping is the cheapest of the three.

Old 01-14-2015, 08:18 AM
hts

762 posts, read 2,152,896 times
Interesting thread.

I moved here (Dripping) last June (2014) from Phoenix, where our kids were enrolled in an over-achieving charter schooled called BASIS (academically superior to anything offered in Austin, including Eanes, LASA, etc.).

We narrowed our choices to Westlake, LTHS, Westwood, and Dripping, and ended up in Dripping. It's only been a little over a semester, but for our kids (11 year old in 5th, 13 year old in 7th, 14 year old in 9th--we pushed him fwd a grade), they've been awesome and we couldn't be happier.

The fact that we were able to afford to build (we should move in next month) a custom home on 2 acres in a nice subdivision was icing on the cake.

Old 01-14-2015, 08:46 AM

1 posts, read 1,525 times
Thanks for all of these responses. We have the same question as we are moving from the Chicago area and will have a freshman in HS next year. We live in Naperville so for us just looking Lake Travis with all of the opportunities looks to be very similar. We also like DS with the land and growing and seemingly good academics and athletics. Our kids are very sporty and we have a two boys and a girl. The freshman is 6ft 1 plays volleyball and is a softball pitcher at an elite level. the boys are baseball players and one plays football. I state this because this is an important aspect of our decision too. Anyone have a minute to share your opinion on this? Thanks!

Old 01-15-2015, 12:10 AM

115 posts, read 222,135 times
Well dripping has the top volleyball program out of those three easily. One of the top in the state. The coach is from what I hear very highly regarded at DSHS

Old 01-15-2015, 12:42 AM

326 posts, read 681,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chelle7393 View Post
Thanks for all of these responses. We have the same question as we are moving from the Chicago area and will have a freshman in HS next year. We live in Naperville so for us just looking Lake Travis with all of the opportunities looks to be very similar. We also like DS with the land and growing and seemingly good academics and athletics. Our kids are very sporty and we have a two boys and a girl. The freshman is 6ft 1 plays volleyball and is a softball pitcher at an elite level. the boys are baseball players and one plays football. I state this because this is an important aspect of our decision too. Anyone have a minute to share your opinion on this? Thanks!
Sports are huge at all three...probably more so at LT and Westlake. Keep in mind DS is 5A and LT/Westlake are 6A (the top level of sports in Texas). All three schools have really good volleyball programs, but I would give a slight edge to Westlake. LT has the best baseball program out of the three. Finally, in regards to football, it's no competition. LT's football program is way above and beyond the other two schools. Look up Lake Travis football and you will be able to tell how serious the community takes it. They won the state championship 5 years in a row from 2007-2011 at the 4A level. Since moving up to 5A/6A, they have still been competitive with 2013's run to the state semifinals and losing to the eventual state champion.

The point is...if you have athletes...LT is the place to be!!

Oh, and all three have very good academics as well.

Old 01-15-2015, 09:31 AM

13,715 posts, read 31,011,624 times
Re: volleyball.

When Lake Travis was still a 4A school in 2011, the volleyball team won its second straight state championship, and was 50-0. They lost one set the entire season. That team was loaded with seniors - 7 earned Div. 1 VB scholarships.

But I agree that all three schools are solid but different. Athletics is strong in general. Westlake and LTHS are especially good at country club sports such as tennis and golf. Strong swim teams. LTHS is easily the best football team. Academically Westlake is the recognized leader but LTHS is very good followed by DSHS. I would have no concerns with kids in any of the three. The lifestyle will be different in each area.

Old 01-16-2015, 08:26 AM

1,766 posts, read 938,875 times
For what it's worth:

Westlake Coach Al Bennett Named National Coach of the Year

photo courtesy Julia Rasor

Westlake Coach Al Bennett has been selected as the 2014 American Volleyball Coaches Association National High School Coach of the Year!

Now in his 27th year at the helm of the Chaparrals, this season the Chaps went 42-5 including a perfect 16-0 district record. In one of the best volleyball states in the country, they are currently ranked eighth in Texas and 25th nationally. The squad advanced all the way to the 2014 Volleyball 6A Regions 2 and 4 Quarterfinals.

I'd say Westlake would be a solid choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin