Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 09:40 AM

1 posts, read 1,263 times

Advertisements

I've had 3 sinus surgeries due to sinus polyps caused by allergies/specifically mold. Never had any problems before moving to Austin. I've been here 11 years and today have to go in for a polypectomy. ENT doc's make a killing here! I've asked my doc if moving to a dryer climate would help but do you think he wants an insurance cash cow like me to leave this city?

Old 11-11-2011, 09:47 AM

1,445 posts, read 3,259,154 times
My allergies are generally worst in the winter around here when you had all of the wind blowing stuff around in the air. However, back in the central valley of California, my allergies were bad year round! Not sure why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oatmeal10011 View Post
I've been here four and a half years. I came with no allergies. I now have raging mold allergies. Apparently, allergy shots are not effective against mold, so that is out. I'm rinsing my sinuses multipal times a day, taking Allegra and Flonase, and treating my cough and headache with Advil, warm drinks, and cough drops. I've had many doctor visits, but at this point I've been told I'm just going to have to learn to live with the symptoms. Grrrrrr!

Have any of you out there fled Austin for cleaner air? I love my job, house, etc, but if I don't get any relief, I don't know that it is worth it.

Old 11-11-2011, 03:47 PM

1,557 posts, read 2,388,458 times
So weird...I don't have any allergies at all after living here for many years but dh has them terribly.

Old 11-11-2011, 07:24 PM

970 posts, read 1,866,793 times
I find this odd............Austin doesn't even rate in the top 20 allergic cities usually. You want to see / experience allergies?! Well, we just moved from the #1, #2, #3......whichever it is rated each year, but always in the top 5.........Austin is nothin'!

Old 11-11-2011, 08:37 PM

2,627 posts, read 6,557,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N. Olikee View Post
I find this odd............Austin doesn't even rate in the top 20 allergic cities usually. You want to see / experience allergies?! Well, we just moved from the #1, #2, #3......whichever it is rated each year, but always in the top 5.........Austin is nothin'!
How long have you lived here? Austin was #1 on the Fall allergy list in 2004 and 2007. Most of us here have no idea why it stopped making the list the past few years. Maybe eepstein has a theory that the Austin chamber of commerce is paying to stay off the AAFA list. Here is a blog post about it.

Allergy Capital of the World?

Old 11-11-2011, 09:02 PM

979 posts, read 2,949,102 times
Quote:
Yes, it's pretty well known that Austin is one of the worst cities to live in for allergy suffers. I remember Kevin Spacey complained about how bad his were on Jay Leno when he was shooting a movie here. He was surprised that the local news dedicated a segment to the various mold/cedar counts, etc.

Old 11-11-2011, 09:43 PM

Nope...sorry......You Guys are dead wrong! I don't know why this continues to be an Urban Myth again and again, but it is. Look at the lists....I'll have to revisit again tomorrow and post...but, Austin is never in the top 20. LOUISVILLE KENTUCKY is one of the worst, if not THE worst, over, and over again.....for good reason.

Old 11-11-2011, 09:57 PM

979 posts, read 2,949,102 times
Quote:
Nope...sorry......You Guys are dead wrong! I don't know why this continues to be an Urban Myth again and again, but it is. Look at the lists....I'll have to revisit again tomorrow and post...but, Austin is never in the top 20. LOUISVILLE KENTUCKY is one of the worst, if not THE worst, over, and over again.....for good reason.
We aren't dead wrong. The list changes every year of course (according to what criteria, who knows?), but Austin was worst on the fall allergy list as recently as 2007:

Austin news, sports, weather, Longhorns, business | Statesman.com

Here's a local allergy doctor who dissects Austin's past standing on this list for Fall & Spring in a little more detail:

http://www.austinallergies.com/Lake_...Allergies.html

Old 11-11-2011, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinGuy View Post
We aren't dead wrong. The list changes every year of course (according to what criteria, who knows?), but Austin was worst on the fall allergy list as recently as 2007:

Again.....I'll look it up tomorrow, but Austin never hits it on the Usual Suspects ever. It's the usu. cities in the Midwest, in river valleys, etc. that have all sorts of things blooming and are trapped in valley with stagnant air.

Old 11-11-2011, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinGuy View Post

Here's a local allergy doctor who dissects Austin's past standing on this list for Fall & Spring in a little more detail:

Allergy Capital of the World?
Just one more thing.......my son who experienced "extreme" allergies in the Midwest, has very few here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin