Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 11:15 PM

1,930 posts, read 6,520,504 times

Advertisements

It was for sure #1 worst allergy city for Fall 2007 done by the Asthma and Allergy Foundation.

Austin, Texas, Ranked Worst City for People with Fall Allergies on ADVANCE for Respiratory Care and Sleep Medicine

On this 2003 list, it's number 4.

Top 50 Fall Allergy Capitals

This is a pretty indepth link on the subject...

http://www.austinallergies.com/Lake_...Allergies.html

Old 11-12-2011, 06:37 AM

970 posts, read 1,866,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texastrigirl View Post
It was for sure #1 worst allergy city for Fall 2007 done by the Asthma and Allergy Foundation.

Austin, Texas, Ranked Worst City for People with Fall Allergies on ADVANCE for Respiratory Care and Sleep Medicine

On this 2003 list, it's number 4.

Top 50 Fall Allergy Capitals

This is a pretty indepth link on the subject...

Allergy Capital of the World?
I'm sure they don't have an "agenda," right? Hey, why do you WANT to be at the top of this list?!

Old 11-12-2011, 07:03 AM

Well, I was going to list all the lists that list allergy "capitals" but WHY? Jeezz.......just go on WebMD and it has it "spelled out" for you folks who still don't "get it."

Austin.............is NOT, repeat, NOT in the top 20! How long have YOU lived here? Or elsewhere?

Have YOU lived in a River Basin with Ragweed? I HAVE! I Do know what I am talking about! The rest of you are "posers" desperate for attention. (jk. of course!)

Old 11-12-2011, 07:24 AM

1,157 posts, read 2,644,655 times
One of the few reasons I would move, but I think there are some things I haven't tried yet so I haven't given up yet.

Old 11-12-2011, 07:33 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,811,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N. Olikee View Post
Well, I was going to list all the lists that list allergy "capitals" but WHY? Jeezz.......just go on WebMD and it has it "spelled out" for you folks who still don't "get it."

Austin.............is NOT, repeat, NOT in the top 20! How long have YOU lived here? Or elsewhere?

Have YOU lived in a River Basin with Ragweed? I HAVE! I Do know what I am talking about! The rest of you are "posers" desperate for attention. (jk. of course!)
Regardless of WHERE Austin (and Central Texas in general) fall on the list, the bottom line is that the allergens make life completely miserable for a significant number of people.

Ragweed is EVERYWHERE in the US, so no region has a monopoly on that one.

I really like Austin (at least the one of a few years ago), but I wouldn't live there because of the allergens (not to mention the heat and humidity)!

Old 11-12-2011, 07:37 AM

2,238 posts, read 8,996,460 times
Seriously, just go get on a shot program.

It's easy and makes things infinitely better. I suffered with my allergies for years. It got to the point where I coughed all night and couldn't sleep. My wife finally made me go. I found I was allergic to 27 or the 40 allergens tested. Due to the shot program, three years later, I'm allergic to 14 of the 40. I give myself 2 shots per week (if it can all fit in 1, then you'd only give yourself 1). I may have to take a Zyrtec 10 days a year. That's it. Those 10 days are actually so mild I could make it through the day without it.

I wish I would've gone to an allergist in '96 when mine started instead of '09.

Old 11-12-2011, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
Regardless of WHERE Austin (and Central Texas in general) fall on the list, the bottom line is that the allergens make life completely miserable for a significant number of people.

Ragweed is EVERYWHERE in the US, so no region has a monopoly on that one.

I really like Austin (at least the one of a few years ago), but I wouldn't live there because of the allergens (not to mention the heat and humidity)!
Well, there are RANKINGS, and Austin isn't TOP 20......let's all move to "the Great Southwest" with Cathy where there are NO allergies!

Old 11-12-2011, 04:31 PM

979 posts, read 2,949,102 times
Quote:

I'm not sure why this is still a debate. WebMD takes their list from the same place the links above pointed to, the Asthma and
Allergy Foundation of America. In fact, pretty much all the articles that talk about worst allergy cities are sourced from this same spot.

As pointed out earlier, Austin was the number one city on this very same list for fall allergies in 2007:

Austin Named the New 'Fall Allergy Capital' -- re> WASHINGTON, Nov. 16 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ --

Just because you or your son's allergies in Austin aren't bad, doesn't mean that other people aren't severely impacted by the conditions here.

Also, I'll relink to this article from a local allergy doctor that goes into detail about how Austin has placed highly on this list several times in the last decade:

http://www.austinallergies.com/Lake_...Allergies.html

Old 11-12-2011, 05:49 PM

[quote=AustinGuy;21688671]I'm not sure why this is still a debate. WebMD takes their list from the same place the links above pointed to, the Asthma and
Allergy Foundation of America. In fact, pretty much all the articles that talk about worst allergy cities are sourced from this same spot.

As pointed out earlier, Austin was the number one city on this very same list for fall allergies in 2007:

Austin Named the New 'Fall Allergy Capital' -- re> WASHINGTON, Nov. 16 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ --

Just because you or your son's allergies in Austin aren't bad, doesn't mean that other people aren't severely impacted by the conditions here.

Also, I'll relink to this article from a local allergy doctor that goes into detail about how Austin has placed highly on this list several times in the last decade:

Allergy Capital of the World?[/q

Not saying people aren't "impacted".....by somethin'. And not using anecdotes as evidence. If you look up numerous lists, Austin is not at the top.

I don't get it..............why do you really want to be at the top of this list?! Believe me, you don't have the "junk" in the air here like you do in other places.........thank goodness!

Old 11-12-2011, 08:26 PM

2,627 posts, read 6,557,945 times
Quote:

I don't get it..............why do you really want to be at the top of this list?! Believe me, you don't have the "junk" in the air here like you do in other places.........thank goodness!
People here don't want to be at the top of the list, but allergies in Austin are serious for a lot of people. I have many family members, co-workers, and friends that it seriously affects. Around January is the worst for most of the people that I know as that is the height of cedar allergens (aka cedar fever). Sometimes it takes a few years for allergies to kick in once you move to the Austin area. Have you lived here for a full month of January yet? If not or even if you have, it could be this year or three years down the line that cedar fever hits you or your son. Hopefully it doesn't, because people often get sinus infections from it. And Austin was at the top of this list in 2004 and 2007 fairly recently. We're not discounting the fact that allergies were horrible in the place that you moved from. It sounds like you are from a horrible place and we understand that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin