U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 09:57 AM

4 posts, read 3,572 times

Advertisements

I've been here four and a half years. I came with no allergies. I now have raging mold allergies. Apparently, allergy shots are not effective against mold, so that is out. I'm rinsing my sinuses multipal times a day, taking Allegra and Flonase, and treating my cough and headache with Advil, warm drinks, and cough drops. I've had many doctor visits, but at this point I've been told I'm just going to have to learn to live with the symptoms. Grrrrrr!

Have any of you out there fled Austin for cleaner air? I love my job, house, etc, but if I don't get any relief, I don't know that it is worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 10:02 AM

8,991 posts, read 12,311,347 times
That is the primary reason I wouldn't live in Central Texas. My allergies rage whenever I visit family in the area south of Austin. Cedar/juniper, cedar elm, oak, you name it, Austin has it.

Old 06-28-2011, 10:16 AM

1,938 posts, read 3,915,414 times
When my husband plead with me to leave Austin, it was one of his Top 3 reasons. He suffered along with one of my sons pretty badly.

Old 06-28-2011, 11:07 AM

516 posts, read 798,652 times
Yesterday was bad, but today is much better. Zyrtec and the netti pot seem to help me. Of course if I had it as bad as you then yes I might be looking for a new address as much as I love Austin.

Old 06-28-2011, 12:17 PM

12,898 posts, read 13,315,411 times
Many years ago I was severely allergic to cedar, mold, cats, and many other things common in Austin (but not dogs!). I was tested, and took shots for some time. I eventually abandoned them, and simply chose to take over the counter meds. As the years have gone by, they hardly bother me at all. My kids (high school-college) are sensitive at certain times of year, but Xyrtec does a good job.

Old 06-28-2011, 04:13 PM

1,448 posts, read 1,789,851 times
Of the MANY MANY reasons to leave Austin, allergies would fall way down there on the list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oatmeal10011 View Post
I've been here four and a half years. I came with no allergies. I now have raging mold allergies. Apparently, allergy shots are not effective against mold, so that is out. I'm rinsing my sinuses multipal times a day, taking Allegra and Flonase, and treating my cough and headache with Advil, warm drinks, and cough drops. I've had many doctor visits, but at this point I've been told I'm just going to have to learn to live with the symptoms. Grrrrrr!

Have any of you out there fled Austin for cleaner air? I love my job, house, etc, but if I don't get any relief, I don't know that it is worth it.

Old 06-28-2011, 05:11 PM

14,530 posts, read 21,194,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oatmeal10011 View Post

How long have you been treating the allergies? The shots do help, but it did take 18 months or so before I started feeling much improvement. I do have mold and cedar allergies, They have never gone away, but I do have them under control and can manage with an occasional sinus rinse and nasal sprays. I don't think I took more then 2 or 3 oral medications all year.

Old 06-28-2011, 07:38 PM

37 posts, read 32,903 times
Hmm, two months of allergies managed by Zyrtec or living in an economically depressed city and state. I'll take the allergies!

Old 06-28-2011, 08:45 PM

1,239 posts, read 2,288,738 times
Lived out here for 5 years now..nada allergies.

Old 06-28-2011, 09:10 PM

516 posts, read 798,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey65 View Post
Lived out here for 5 years now..nada allergies.
You're lucky then as mine didn't really start till we moved here. Yet my husband who has always suffered, is suffering less since moving here. Go figure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin