U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 07:33 PM

820 posts, read 693,317 times
I just moved here but given the heat and the long summers I was really surprised at the lack of water parks, I would think they would be a huge hit.

The park in New Braunfels is just amazing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 09:00 PM

2,252 posts, read 3,234,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanothercalifornian View Post
can someone fill me in on why you wouldn't want this awesome water park to end up being built here?
The projected site is on 1431 where the speed limit is 65mph. This is already a very dangerous road. Since it's in Cedar Park, there are plans to improve 1431 on the Cedar Park side of 1431, but the site also borders Round Rock. Unfortunately, most traffic will travel from I-35 through Round Rock. No improvements are being planned for the high speed road that will see the largest increase in traffic because it's not in Cedar Park.

I've seen multiple accidents that resulted in fatalities along that stretch of 1431 over the last few years. Traffic for residents that live just East of the proposed site along 1431 in Round Rock is going to be even more dangerous than it already is. Putting a water park on top of a freeway without properly planning for the heaviest traffic that will be generated in the neighboring city could be a disaster. Tax money generated for this project will go to Cedar Park roads, but not Round Rock roads.

Old 04-30-2012, 10:23 PM

5,238 posts, read 6,107,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark311 View Post
The projected site is on 1431 where the speed limit is 65mph. This is already a very dangerous road. Since it's in Cedar Park, there are plans to improve 1431 on the Cedar Park side of 1431, but the site also borders Round Rock. Unfortunately, most traffic will travel from I-35 through Round Rock. No improvements are being planned for the high speed road that will see the largest increase in traffic because it's not in Cedar Park.

I've seen multiple accidents that resulted in fatalities along that stretch of 1431 over the last few years. Traffic for residents that live just East of the proposed site along 1431 in Round Rock is going to be even more dangerous than it already is. Putting a water park on top of a freeway without properly planning for the heaviest traffic that will be generated in the neighboring city could be a disaster. Tax money generated for this project will go to Cedar Park roads, but not Round Rock roads.
I agree with mark...that stretch will need some major overhauling to allow traffic to safely enter and exit the park, never mind the impact to existing businesses and the traffic around them. I believe there will be a serious impact to the 1431/IH-35 interchange as well. It's already pretty nasty around IKEA and the outlet mall...having this as the main exit for the Schlit won't help matters any. Too bad Leander couldn't land the park and build it north on Ronald Reagan. The traffic would still be bad, but at least it would be away from that major intersection when accessing the park. Anywhere around there will likely have a negative impact on the Interstate Hwy exit, I'm afraid. I'm also a little concerned that it's being built practically on top of a branch of Brushy Creek. There's a tremendous amount of undeveloped land to the north of 1431. I don't understand trying to shoehorn the development into that developed area that backs up to Ranch @ Brushy Creek and sits 'on top' of the creek itself.

Also, Parmer Lane heading toward Austin from Leander and Cedar Park is already a rush hour nightmare...the new residential development just north of Brushy Creek Rd along with the second phase of Ranch @ Brushy Creek will be adding to the mess. So, it kinda looks like CoA, Round Rock and Leander get all the traffic while Cedar Park rakes in the revenue(although the stretch of 1431 from 183A east toward the proposed site will become a nightmare for the businesses and drivers along that 60mph section that IS in Cedar Park).

Last edited by 10scoachrick; 04-30-2012 at 10:31 PM..

Old 05-01-2012, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
So, it kinda looks like CoA, Round Rock and Leander get all the traffic while Cedar Park rakes in the revenue(although the stretch of 1431 from 183A east toward the proposed site will become a nightmare for the businesses and drivers along that 60mph section that IS in Cedar Park).
Agreed. I have actually seen plans to improve the Cedar Park stretch of 1431 from Parmer to Sam Bass. That will most likely be 4 lanes on each side, but there will be an abrupt bottleneck once all that traffic hits Sam Bass (Round Rock border) as the amount of lanes will be cut back down to two lanes each way.

Of course, I think we're all willing to deal with the painful construction that will go along with these improvements, however, as you stated, I have little hope for the I-35/1431/Ikea intersection. That is going to be a nightmare even for people coming down from Kileen/Georgetown to visit Schlitterbahn as merging on to 1431 there into fast moving traffic is already very dangerous.

If they're not careful, we'll have our own Y at Oak Hill to the North. Actually, that sounds like a good place to put it. Let's put the new Schlitterbahn just West of the Y at Oak Hill. That's how much sense this Cedar Park location makes to those of us that live around it. It has the potential to turn into the same type of nightmare that Oak Hill residents have to deal with on a daily basis as the Parmer/1431 area continues to explode with growth.

Old 05-01-2012, 07:40 AM

3,985 posts, read 5,996,730 times
Quote:
Agreed. I have actually seen plans to improve the Cedar Park stretch of 1431 from Parmer to Sam Bass. That will most likely be 4 lanes on each side, but there will be an abrupt bottleneck once all that traffic hits Sam Bass (Round Rock border) as the amount of lanes will be cut back down to two lanes each way.

Of course, I think we're all willing to deal with the painful construction that will go along with these improvements, however, as you stated, I have little hope for the I-35/1431/Ikea intersection. That is going to be a nightmare even for people coming down from Kileen/Georgetown to visit Schlitterbahn as merging on to 1431 there into fast moving traffic is already very dangerous.

If they're not careful, we'll have our own Y at Oak Hill to the North. Actually, that sounds like a good place to put it. Let's put the new Schlitterbahn just West of the Y at Oak Hill. That's how much sense this Cedar Park location makes to those of us that live around it. It has the potential to turn into the same type of nightmare that Oak Hill residents have to deal with on a daily basis as the Parmer/1431 area continues to explode with growth.
I doubt it. Oak hill is rush hour every day and the people are all coming from the same place going to the same place.

Most people in austin will end up taking 183 to go to schlitterbahn. Even the people coming up I135 can easily take 183. That leaves people coming from the north. The population density of those places is much less than people coming from the south. Ikea/outlets are on the other side of the road so people coming in to schlitterbahn wont really impact traffic

I dont have any numbers, but there is a resonable chance that it will be busy and slow on weekends, but nothing close to oak hill.

Old 05-01-2012, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post

I dont have any numbers, but there is a resonable chance that it will be busy and slow on weekends, but nothing close to oak hill.
I just threw Oak Hill in there for comic relief. It's mainly the fact that 1431 is regularly travelled by semis, quarry trucks, and other cars going over 70Mph. And everyone going to the proposed Schlitterbahn from places East of I35 like Round Rock, Pflugerville, and Hutto will definitely take 1431 and pass by Ikea. Everyone from the North will take that route as well or anyone wanting to avoid the 183A toll. Taking the non-toll 183 route would be a very bad idea as well unless everyone cuts through Avery Ranch. All those that do choose to take 183A will still have to fight traffic from 1890 Ranch along with the new Costco, Walmart, and everything else being built along that stretch. Whenever I do encounter an accident in that stretch of 1431, we're all stuck there for at least 45 minutes with no where to turn around.

There are many places where we all need to make unprotected left turns off of 1431 while sitting in the middle lane without a divider watching countless semis going 70Mph directly towards you. It's a helpless feeling to know that you're 10 inches away from your family's death each time that you want to make a turn into your neighborhood or into Sonic. Add a bunch of people that are unfamiliar with this dangerous road and the fact that the red lights are often suggestions to the large trucks makes it worse. Those of us that live in the area know that you always look both ways even when you're staring at a protected green light because people unfamiliar with the lights are unable to stop when they're going 70Mph or faster. The accidents that I've witnessed near my house on 1431 have not been pretty and almost always result in at least one dead passenger.

I think all this thinking about it is a waste of time at this point anyway, because I don't think it will ever truly happen at that proposed location. It's just not ideal.

Last edited by mark311; 05-01-2012 at 08:17 AM..

Old 05-01-2012, 08:13 AM

5,238 posts, read 6,107,964 times
Quote:
I just threw Oak Hill in there for comic relief. It's mainly the fact that 1431 is regularly travelled by semis, quarry trucks and other cars going over 70Mph. And everyone going to the proposed Schlitterbahn from places East of I35 like Round Rock, Pflugerville, and Hutto will definitely take 1431 and pass by Ikea. There is no easy way to get to 183 for those people and all those 183 people will have to fight traffic from 1890 Ranch along with the new Costco, Walmart, and everything else being built along that stretch. Whenever I do encounter an accident in that stretch of 1431, we're all stuck there for at least 45 minutes with no where to turn around. I think all this thinking about it is a waste of time at this point anyway, because I don't think it will ever truly happen at that proposed location. It's just not ideal.
I saw what you did there.

I was also thinking that the folks who live...say, south of the river, will have an easier time going to the original Schlit than traveling the 30 miles + up to the north! If it's 'either' rush hour, taking the 'Mo' to 183 and then dealing with the traffic up on the top end might be tougher than just hopping on 35 and heading south!

We'll see how it all plays out. The slowdown of the past 4 years has helped temper the frenzy somewhat. I just hope folks have learned SOMETHING during this downturn and will take a hard look at building whatever they can just because there's a bit of land(and funding) available.

Old 05-01-2012, 01:09 PM

7 posts, read 8,626 times
I'm with you justanothercalifornian. I'd love to see a water park by the folks at SB here in Austin. I know that the naysayers will talk about traffic, congestion and the like. But what about the job creation, economy stimulation and heck.. fun. I'm for it, and hope that it goes through. Of course that is just my two cents, and being a new member to the forums I'll probably get flamed for it.

E

Old 05-01-2012, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Highland View Post
I'm for it, and hope that it goes through. Of course that is just my two cents, and being a new member to the forums I'll probably get flamed for it.
I'm actually all for it as well. They just need to pick a better place for it. The land just North of the Round Rock outlet mall in Georgetown along I35 would be perfect in my opinion.

I know this is definitely one of those "NIMBY" situations, but I can't imagine how anyone that actually travels by the proposed site every day would think "That's a good place for an amusement park".

Old 05-01-2012, 01:25 PM

7 posts, read 8,626 times
Valid point. I guess we are all just creatures of convenience and the sound of having one so close to me (I live in Central Austin - Triangle area) is just appealing. I don't travel that route every day and I can't imagine the nightmare of traffic that it could cause to the "local" Cedar Park residents.

I suppose that out just a bit and NIMBY would suit the locals better.. but if that is the case why not then just drive to New Braunfels ... well other than the fact that it is north rather than south.

I guess at the end of the day, it will be where it will be, but if they put it anywhere close to Austin proper, you can expect it to be flooded (pun intended) with UT students and thus the greenbacks roll in.. not only for SB but for the local economy as well.

There are always two sides to a coin. I'm still for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin