Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2011, 12:29 PM

2 posts, read 2,473 times

Advertisements

We are relocating from New Jersey to Austin next week, I have a job offer and my job is located in downtown, I am thinking about renting a apt/house for six months and then to buy a house in the same area (my budget is about $225,000).

We have two kids ( will be in 5th grade and 3rd grade), what are the best areas in Wells Branch or Pflugerville or another good place?

Which one is better for family, Wells Branch or Pflugerville or any other place?

I will appreciate your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2011, 12:40 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,063,260 times
Consider SW Austin, Travis Country, Oak Hill, Legend Oaks. The area is closer to downtown, has great schools, good access to lots of parks and out door recreation activities, the lake and the hill country. And is in your price range. I worked downtown all of my professional life and have always had a better commute then what you will from the areas up north you mentioned.

http://www.city-data.com/blogs/blog2...gend-oaks.html

Old 07-08-2011, 12:53 PM

2 posts, read 2,473 times
Thank you for your help.

what is the zip code for Legend Oaks?

Old 07-08-2011, 01:06 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,063,260 times
It is in the southern half of 78749. You can find a zip code map with links to the demographics for each zip code here. http://www.city-data.com/zipmaps/Austin-Texas.html

Old 07-08-2011, 03:51 PM

1,930 posts, read 6,534,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Consider SW Austin, Travis Country, Oak Hill, Legend Oaks. The area is closer to downtown, has great schools, good access to lots of parks and out door recreation activities, the lake and the hill country. And is in your price range. I worked downtown all of my professional life and have always had a better commute then what you will from the areas up north you mentioned.

I agree! We lived in Circle C. 78739...though it may not be in your price range it's close!

Old 07-08-2011, 06:07 PM

291 posts, read 800,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post

I don't agree, I live in north Austin and work in the University area. If I had to cross the river to go south every day and cross again going back north in the mornings, I'd just give up. Driving north from downtown is a piece of cake, as long as you don't have to travel up 183 or further north than Round Rock. And yes, I've traveled from north Austin to the downtown area for 25 years, so I KNOW the commute to the areas you mentioned, Wells Branch or Pflugerville is not bad at all.

Now, if you don't want to live in those areas for another reason, well then, that is another matter. But don't let anyone tell you the commute is better having to cross the river both ways every day. The best piece of advice I was given before moving to Austin was, "If you work north of the river, live north of the river".

Old 07-10-2011, 09:00 AM

302 posts, read 690,536 times
Rent, check out the different areas (all of them), try the commutes, then decide.
You won't know which area you like until you're actually here and get a chance to visit & explore them.
Good luck with the move!

Old 07-10-2011, 11:37 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,055,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbs45 View Post
We are relocating from New Jersey to Austin next week, I have a job offer and my job is located in downtown, I am thinking about renting a apt/house for six months and then to buy a house in the same area (my budget is about $225,000).

We have two kids ( will be in 5th grade and 3rd grade), what are the best areas in Wells Branch or Pflugerville or another good place?

Which one is better for family, Wells Branch or Pflugerville or any other place?

I will appreciate your help.
Because you have young kids and work downtown, I agree with SW Austin. Search the 78749, 78739, 78736 zipcodes. Most areas that feed into Bowie High or Austin High provide a good school track.

Pflugerville requires IH35 driving. Can't get around it. It's a parking lot. Further north into the more affordable areas of Round Rock with good schools will put you on Mopac and the north toll. I drive all over Austin every week. The drive south into Circle C is way quicker and easier and shorter than Mopac up into Round Rock.

But if you're priced out of SW Austin due to price range, Round Rock would in fact be a good choice as you can buy the same house, built by the same builders for $30K to $50K cheaper and still get good schools. You'll just be in Round Rock instead of Austin, which is OK for many people.

Renting for 6 months is a good idea too.

Welcome to Austin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin