Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 01:48 PM

2,596 posts, read 5,581,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiacook View Post
I don't think the responses consist of people disagreeing with him though - they're openly mocking the idea that the responses he is getting could be due to racism or in some cases mocking other posters who are adding their own experiences.

I do think the responses here are what are hostile and I feel sorry the poster and the others who tried to talk openly about their experiences with racism in Austin. It's a legitimate topic for discussion and I applaud those who tried to have an actual conversation.
I hear what you're saying, but "having an actual conversation" involves both sides being allowed to share their opinions. As for respondents being hostile, I haven't read a response yet that went beyond the tone the OP himself used. Yes, perhaps that could be considered hostile. It's hard to convey tone in written word. Or perhaps he just feels very strongly. Clearly the people he's accusing of racism feel strongly as well.

As for people denying what is racism and what isn't, the problem is that in the ambiguous cases, no one can really make that call but the person perpetrating the action. We can't know what was in their head. The OP can't know what was in their head. And yes, some of the things he describes are racism. But any complaint the OP might have made about stereotyping lost all credibility in my mind the moment he accused (in this thread and past ones) all white gay men in Austin of being racists. You don't get to stereotype against others and then complain of others doing the same thing without people thinking you're being hypocritical.

I think that's what many people are trying to get across to him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2011, 01:49 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,094,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by someguyatx View Post
Nobody here said they dont believe racism exists. This stuff does happen and it sucks but there are idiots everywhere who yell stupid things at people not related to race. I drove my Focus hatchback for 8 years and had several occasions when rednecks in large pickups yelled things at me about my car when gas was cheaper. I'm a 6 foot tall white guy with blonde hair so they didn't confuse me with a black or asian guy. One was dumb enough to call it a rice burner so I yelled back its a Ford just like your truck. That really pissed off the redneck and he proceeded to do a burnout and tear off down the street.

People just gotta shake it off and move on with life.
Sorry, but a "redneck" (stereotype) yelling "nice burner" out of their car is NO WHERE near offensive and hurtful as racial slurs or anything else which attacks a person's ethnic background or culture. Your car is an inanimate object. It's not attached to your character.

Like I said in my previous post, one person will never be able to empathize with another person's unfortunate situation unless they, themselves, have experienced the same.

Old 07-12-2011, 01:51 PM

2,211 posts, read 4,849,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eepstein View Post
I think your observations are accurate of the overall population here. To begin with, Austin is still a college town with a fairly "small town" maltality. Generally speaking, there isn't a lot of diversity around Austin and the city has gone to great lengths to make sure the rich stay WEST of 35 and the VERY RICH stay west of Mopac. If you take a look at pretty much any area east of 35 within the Austin City Limits, you will notice higher crime, and where most of the poorer residents live.

Keep in mind, that Austin has the lowest percentage of diversity of the larger cities in the state. The vast majority of areas west of I-35 within Austin are white, plain and simple. I am not at all surprised by racism along 6th street or any other areas of Austin. Most of the experiences I have had with racisms have been with friends of mine over the years who happened to be gay (who no longer live in Austin). Contrary to what the marketing campaigns tell you, Austin is NOT a gay friendly city. To begin with, if I was gay, I wouldn't be caught DEAD in Texas. If I had to live in this state, I would certainly pick Dallas.

Im sorry to hear of your difficulties in this area. I grew up in the San Jose area and am used to living around TONS of different races and cultures. If it weren't for living in Avery Ranch (where there IS actually some decent diversity), I would probably go crazy (ok, worse than all the other reasons) Good luck to you.
If Eepstein agrees with you, you know you done screwed up.

Kia, if you think everyone is being mean to the OP, more power to you. If he wasn't so hostile and narcisstic, He would get more sympathy from me and from everyone on this board. If he didn't complain about being stereotyped while AT THE SAME time stereotyping other people, we would listen to him more.

I am sorry that you don't understand how silly it is to say "Racism sucks! Oh, and on an unrelated note all white people are racist". But that is your cross to bear.

Old 07-12-2011, 01:59 PM

1,445 posts, read 3,267,869 times
Hmm, let me translate that. "If Eepstein agrees with you then you aren't wearing orange and don't bow to the greatest city in the world. We don't want to hear anything but praise for our city and anything negative will not be tolerated. Please go back where you came from."

Did I miss anything???

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBrown80 View Post
If Eepstein agrees with you, you know you done screwed up.

Kia, if you think everyone is being mean to the OP, more power to you. If he wasn't so hostile and narcisstic, He would get more sympathy from me and from everyone on this board. If he didn't complain about being stereotyped while AT THE SAME time stereotyping other people, we would listen to him more.

I am sorry that you don't understand how silly it is to say "Racism sucks! Oh, and on an unrelated note all white people are racist". But that is your cross to bear.

Old 07-12-2011, 02:00 PM

554 posts, read 1,746,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiacook View Post
No they don't. They can post it on a message board, vent and talk about. We don't give people a hard time (too much) for complaining about the heat, the drought, the bad drivers, the Californians, and so on and on. People come here A LOT and talk about stuff in Austin that is bothering them. He doesn't have to suck it up and shut up about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.JT View Post
Sorry, but a "redneck" (stereotype) yelling "nice burner" out of their car is NO WHERE near offensive and hurtful as racial slurs or anything else which attacks a person's ethnic background or culture. Your car is an inanimate object. It's not attached to your character.

Like I said in my previous post, one person will never be able to empathize with another person's unfortunate situation unless they, themselves, have experienced the same.
On this note I'm done with this thread you people don't understand my point and I have better things to do.

Stupid people will always be stupid and if you let every dummy get your panties in a wad you will be walking around with your panties in a wad all the time.

Old 07-12-2011, 02:03 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,094,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by someguyatx View Post
On this note I'm done with this thread you people don't understand my point and I have better things to do.

Stupid people will always be stupid and if you let every dummy get your panties in a wad you will be walking around with your panties in a wad all the time.
By the same token, you didn't understand my post.

Have a wonderful day.

Old 07-12-2011, 02:08 PM

547 posts, read 1,434,522 times
Quote:
Hmm, let me translate that. "If Eepstein agrees with you then you aren't wearing orange and don't bow to the greatest city in the world. We don't want to hear anything but praise for our city and anything negative will not be tolerated. Please go back where you came from."

Did I miss anything???
Hi Eepstein, you did miss something. I don't have a horse in this race, but I don't do well with truthiness and love a good fact check. I've noticed that in the last two days you've heavily barraged the forums with facts but have not ever posted the sources of any of them. I'm not saying they aren't true, but I'd really love to see the sources so I can view related facts as they are very interesting to me. If you could please source these facts you posted, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!
WBJ

------

Austin is the most expensive major city in Texas

Contrary to what the marketing campaigns tell you, Austin is NOT a gay friendly city. (What marketing campaigns have there been?)

There isn't a lot of diversity around Austin

Austin has the lowest percentage of diversity of the larger cities in the state

Austin has loads of minimum wage jobs (much like the entire state). Higher paying jobs are no more prevelent than anywhere else in the country.

Metro Austin has a higher percentage of large SUV's and pickup registrations than any other metro area in the country.

Smog and ozone pollution is primary cause of poor air quality of overall destruction of the environment. Big vehicles are the worst offenders

Austin has among the highest (real estate prices) of any city not on the coasts

Ausitn spends taxpayer dollars of its citizens to get on the top 10 lists of magazines (paraphrase)

Old 07-12-2011, 02:09 PM

Quote:

Did I miss anything???
You sure did bud. But that's okay, I didn't really read your post.

And I won't read your post until you answer my challenge from 2 years ago and actually provide PROOF that the Austin City Council pays advertising companies to tell lies about Austin to get people to move here, to include Austin on top 10 lists, etc etc.. I also require proof that they force rich people to the west side of I35, or that east of 35 is a bad area to live. Since you make these claims in almost every single one of your posts, at least back them up.

I am not asking too much. I am not even asking you to prove your REALLY outlandish claims. Just these 2.

And please don't come back with median home values for east and west. Of course homes in the hill country and on the lake are going to be more expensive, those are more desirable places to live. That's just geography, not the Austin City Council. Not to mention, there is a whole lot "west" of I35 that is not in the hill country.

Old 07-12-2011, 02:11 PM

4 posts, read 5,542 times
Default Unfair response!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey65 View Post
I hate to say it, but you sound as if you're very unhappy here in Austin. You might want to relocate and find some happiness elsewhere. Life is too short to be miserable.

I'm just sayin'...
I think this is really unfair and insensitive. He was just trying to state that there are definite issues that Austonians are not aware of. He is trying to better the city and bring awareness through his experiences. Nobody should have to move away to be happy somewhere else it is not the person who is the problem but the city as a whole that needs to strive to be more accepting. Just saying... Life is too short to have to run away and hide because of racism. That is why so many predecessors have fought so hard to try to obtain equal rights.

Old 07-12-2011, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffettjr View Post
Hi Eepstein, ...I've noticed that in the last two days you've heavily barraged the forums with facts but have not ever posted the sources of any of them.

Last 2 days? Try the last 3 years.

He won't answer you though, we have all challenged him on his "truthiness" before, and he always just hems and haws and says that his truths are self-evident.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin