Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2007, 07:32 PM

2 posts, read 6,389 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Austin because I have family there, but I feel nervous since I will be starting all over as an older single woman. I'm well-educated with a professional background...does anyone one know how the single life would be for my age bracket? What are some of the organizations or social venues?

Thanks,
Maddie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2007, 05:52 PM

277 posts, read 1,295,542 times
Hi Maddie~ what are your interests/hobbies/passions? Get involved in those groups and I bet you'll meet tons of people. That's gonna be my plan....

I'll be in the same boat as you when I move down there. I figure it's my mid-life crisis So you are not alone!

Old 08-10-2007, 06:21 PM

95 posts, read 336,760 times
Welcome to my life story! I second marlarkey's suggestion, and I also plan to explore unfamiliar things and figure out what my new passions may be. Although my travel schedule since I moved has gotten in the way of much of that, the spirit of the folks here gives me confidence that I'll have a blast when I finally do start exploring.

Old 10-30-2007, 08:45 AM

343 posts, read 1,604,857 times
I think more older folks will move to Austin as the years go on, and it will skew older as the younger couples age in place...in other words, it will grow less young each year.
Age is a state of mind anyway! Come out here and enjoy it!

Old 10-30-2007, 10:23 PM

106 posts, read 470,741 times
Yeah don't know. Austin is a very young city and most activities are suited towards young people. For instance underground music is huge in Austin. If you're in your 40's alot of the things to do here might not really be exactly what you're looking for. Then again there are plenty of people that age. I think most of them are likely in the suburbs though.

Old 10-30-2007, 11:45 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,588,200 times
Don't forget...A lot of people who are in their 30's to 40's grew up on hard rock/heavy metal and punk rock music, so I doubt their really looking into geriatric activities just yet.

Old 10-31-2007, 01:43 AM

I think the kind of live music in Austin bodes well for ALL ages. The only time I saw that hardcore indy stuff was the week of south by southwest..other than that, its a little of everything..blues, americana, country, outlaw, singer songwriter, cover bands, you name it...and the two best live clubs in Austin have the oldest audience, Continental Club and Antones.....that being said, there are going to be events/times when you will be 20 years older than everyone else, and you just get used to it. You may not be able to find someone of age to date at those events, but you can certainly enjoy them as well....plus, things like eeyore's b-day are enjoyed by all ages big time......best of all, it makes you feel younger just being with all the energy, and you will find yourself working out more, taking care of yourself, and looking much better. I think I look 5 years younger than when I moved out here a year ago, and haven't been this happy since my 20's!

Old 10-31-2007, 10:38 AM

2,357 posts, read 7,870,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest1230 View Post
I think the kind of live music in Austin bodes well for ALL ages. The only time I saw that hardcore indy stuff was the week of south by southwest..other than that, its a little of everything..blues, americana, country, outlaw, singer songwriter, cover bands, you name it...and the two best live clubs in Austin have the oldest audience, Continental Club and Antones.....that being said, there are going to be events/times when you will be 20 years older than everyone else, and you just get used to it. You may not be able to find someone of age to date at those events, but you can certainly enjoy them as well....plus, things like eeyore's b-day are enjoyed by all ages big time......best of all, it makes you feel younger just being with all the energy, and you will find yourself working out more, taking care of yourself, and looking much better. I think I look 5 years younger than when I moved out here a year ago, and haven't been this happy since my 20's!
I'm definitely feeling the fountain of youth here...but I tend to veer towards the "young-at-heart" lifestyle anyways. As long as you don't start fooling yourself I think it's very healthy. I taught at a college for 9 years and being around 18-22 yr-olds so much really keeps you feeling fresh. Of course they do and say a lot of silly things as well...

I have friends that are 10-15 years older and 10-15 years younger than me and I'm always learning from them. I like to think they get something worthwhile from me as well

Old 10-31-2007, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twange View Post
I'm definitely feeling the fountain of youth here...but I tend to veer towards the "young-at-heart" lifestyle anyways. As long as you don't start fooling yourself I think it's very healthy. I taught at a college for 9 years and being around 18-22 yr-olds so much really keeps you feeling fresh. Of course they do and say a lot of silly things as well...

I have friends that are 10-15 years older and 10-15 years younger than me and I'm always learning from them. I like to think they get something worthwhile from me as well
Twange, I go to a gathering of old hippies the first wednesday evening of every month, and we have a blast! Its been gathering since '72. You do not know how cool it is to talk to people that hung at the armadillo world headquarters in the 70's. Let me know if you wanna hang there....

Old 10-31-2007, 12:34 PM

2,357 posts, read 7,870,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest1230 View Post
Twange, I go to a gathering of old hippies the first wednesday evening of every month, and we have a blast! Its been gathering since '72. You do not know how cool it is to talk to people that hung at the armadillo world headquarters in the 70's. Let me know if you wanna hang there....
I think I heard about that....forward me some info!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: