U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 07-16-2011, 08:02 AM
 
101 posts, read 262,886 times
Reputation: 87

Advertisements

I thought that I'd share this. For me it served as a reminder that, notwithstanding the pace of change in Austin, it is possible for planners and developers to do what they do whilst helping retain at least some of the whimsical character of the town. Like leaving in place a defunct air traffic control tower even as they build any number of new houses around it.

WHIMcity with Spike Gillespie | KUT.org
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-16-2011, 09:53 AM
 
Location: Hutto, Tx
8,642 posts, read 16,425,760 times
Reputation: 2332
Yes, it's a good thing, but not their original idea. They used the Stapleton redevelopment as a model. Stapleton is in Denver and was the old airport there.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2011, 01:04 PM
 
Location: Avery Ranch, Austin, TX
5,327 posts, read 6,604,622 times
Reputation: 2008
There's also a WWII training hangar that has been restored...pretty cool. Now, if they could just get folks to agree on the pronunciation of the name Mueller.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2011, 01:23 PM
 
Location: Austin
1,633 posts, read 1,958,606 times
Reputation: 625
While Miller may be correct, I'd never heard it called anything but Mue-ler until the past few years.

But, I didn't realize it was still standing. That's pretty cool.

We first came into Mueller in 1967. The connection in Dallas was Love Field.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2011, 01:37 PM
 
Location: Avery Ranch, Austin, TX
5,327 posts, read 6,604,622 times
Reputation: 2008
Not that it matters, but I've been 'told' that we Americans don't have a correct pronunciation for the proper name Mueller...closest is actually 'muller' vs Miller or Mew-ler. What do I know? I played with Volkl tennis rackets for years and apparently 'we' can't pronounce THAT name either! We Yanks just settled on 'vo-cal' rather than pretend to be able to speak a language that was out of our range.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2011, 07:20 PM
 
2,312 posts, read 2,771,506 times
Reputation: 1195
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
Not that it matters, but I've been 'told' that we Americans don't have a correct pronunciation for the proper name Mueller...closest is actually 'muller' vs Miller or Mew-ler. What do I know? I played with Volkl tennis rackets for years and apparently 'we' can't pronounce THAT name either! We Yanks just settled on 'vo-cal' rather than pretend to be able to speak a language that was out of our range.
I am not a linguist, but what I understand is that the presence of "ue" usually indicates that when the name came over from Northern Europe, it was actually spelled with a U with an umlout. People in the US didn't want to mess with umlouts, so they substitutes the "ue". But to pronounce it in a more European way, you would basically shape your mouth to make a "oo", but say an "ee" at the same time. I think most people around the US just pronounce it "mew", like a cat. "Miller" seems way off to me, but hey, Texans say lots of things in unusual ways.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2011, 08:42 PM
 
Location: Not Moving
969 posts, read 905,440 times
Reputation: 495
And so......what are they doing with it? I'm out of touch. Did I miss something? Is it empty? Can't they make it a restaurant or somethin'? Observation Deck? Who owns it....the City?

And yes........German pronunciation-wise you are talking "mewler," but "miller" is close.

I only flew in there once back in 1995 from another state. Always drove in from Houston before that, so remember the old Bergstrom AFB.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2011, 10:00 PM
 
Location: Not Moving
969 posts, read 905,440 times
Reputation: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
I am not a linguist, but what I understand is that the presence of "ue" usually indicates that when the name came over from Northern Europe, it was actually spelled with a U with an umlout. People in the US didn't want to mess with umlouts, so they substitutes the "ue". But to pronounce it in a more European way, you would basically shape your mouth to make a "oo", but say an "ee" at the same time. I think most people around the US just pronounce it "mew", like a cat. "Miller" seems way off to me, but hey, Texans say lots of things in unusual ways.
You are correct! Close to "mewler," but not quite. "UE" is the same as the umlaut over the "u"(just like "AE" and the umlaut over the "a".) There's almost a kind of "er" sound at the end of the vowel sounds.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2011, 10:23 AM
 
Location: Broomfield, CO
1,448 posts, read 1,791,461 times
Reputation: 857
Stapleton is a great area which has tons of room to grow and build. To my knowledge Fastracks is supposed to have a LR Station nearby to make easy access to downtown and DIA. I think Mueller is a smaller scale project, but based on the same idea (as you said).


Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
Yes, it's a good thing, but not their original idea. They used the Stapleton redevelopment as a model. Stapleton is in Denver and was the old airport there.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top