Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 02:06 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,098,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by llkltk View Post
Wow, you are a major downer. My Great Grandmother lived until 94 and took care of herself fine! Not all older people are bed ridden. Geesh!
I would like to see some stats on this, but I bet your Great Grandmother is in a small minority. My guess would be that most 94 year olds, while perhaps not bed ridden, are not able to live independently and "take care of themselves."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2011, 02:36 PM

2,211 posts, read 4,848,444 times
Quote:
Wow, you are a major downer. My Great Grandmother lived until 94 and took care of herself fine! Not all older people are bed ridden. Geesh!
So? Not everyone is as lucky as your grandmother. The majority of people who are thinking of retiring DO need to consider such eventualities like the ones mentioned by the poster who you say is "gosh, like a major downer and stuff, fer sure, um yah...."

Although I am sure your grandmother danced the tango day in and day out right up until she dropped dead at 94, that is not the situation many older Americans face.

Old 07-20-2011, 02:39 PM

547 posts, read 1,434,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by passionatearts View Post
Austin's housing costs are only "inexpensive" if you're used to East Coast or West Coast housing costs.
I don't think this is true...Austin has some of the lowest housing costs in the nation assuming you want to live around a city and not out in a rural area. The median sold price in 2010 was $190,000 and that is in the metro area. That means half the homes purchased in Austin (8,868 of the 17,737) were for less than $190,000. As another poster once wrote on another thread, "in most U.S. real estate markets, a "Luxury Home" is considered a home that sells for a price in the top 10% of that market. In Austin, the "top 10 %" cutoff is below $450K. We are one of the cheapest luxury home markets in the country."

Just because houses right downtown are expensive to most people doesn't mean Austin is an expensive place to live -- it's like that in every city. I grew up in Anchorage, Alaska and it is like that there!

Austin is cheap to anyone not coming from a rural area, statistically speaking.

Old 07-20-2011, 02:44 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,619,033 times
If I move when I retire, it will be to where I want to retire, not where I plan on becoming incapacitated....if I end up moving again or dropping dead from lack of nearby family, so be it .

That said, retiring near family will probably be a big factor in the equation. My in-laws retired to Texas partially because of family.

Old 07-20-2011, 03:34 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffettjr View Post
I don't think this is true...Austin has some of the lowest housing costs in the nation assuming you want to live around a city and not out in a rural area. The median sold price in 2010 was $190,000 and that is in the metro area. That means half the homes purchased in Austin (8,868 of the 17,737) were for less than $190,000. As another poster once wrote on another thread, "in most U.S. real estate markets, a "Luxury Home" is considered a home that sells for a price in the top 10% of that market. In Austin, the "top 10 %" cutoff is below $450K. We are one of the cheapest luxury home markets in the country."

Just because houses right downtown are expensive to most people doesn't mean Austin is an expensive place to live -- it's like that in every city. I grew up in Anchorage, Alaska and it is like that there!

Austin is cheap to anyone not coming from a rural area, statistically speaking.
It's the property tax that gets folks..not the price of the house.

Old 07-20-2011, 04:01 PM

547 posts, read 1,434,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
It's the property tax that gets folks..not the price of the house.
A fair point.

Old 07-20-2011, 04:53 PM

543 posts, read 1,740,098 times
Don't forget that after reaching age 65, you can simply stop paying property taxes after notifying the county. Any outstanding tax balance, plus interest, becomes due and payable upon death of the owner or the property is sold whichever occurs first.

Old 07-20-2011, 05:31 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,735,982 times
I am reading this article with horror. My parents are retirees and all they do is give hell to anyone within ear shot! Always into other people's business. They're the first to greet you and first to talk behind your back! They don't know how to leave things alone! And do I have mention driving...!

Austin, we're in trouble!!

Old 07-20-2011, 08:23 PM

2,185 posts, read 6,432,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBrown80 View Post
So? Not everyone is as lucky as your grandmother. The majority of people who are thinking of retiring DO need to consider such eventualities like the ones mentioned by the poster who you say is "gosh, like a major downer and stuff, fer sure, um yah...."

Although I am sure your grandmother danced the tango day in and day out right up until she dropped dead at 94, that is not the situation many older Americans face.
Wow you are rude! Seems like a lot of you Austinites don't welcome the retirees. I saw let them come. You will be old someday too. Wonder if anyone will be around to take care of you.

Old 07-20-2011, 08:53 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,735,982 times
Quote:
Wow you are rude! Seems like a lot of you Austinites don't welcome the retirees. I saw let them come. You will be old someday too. Wonder if anyone will be around to take care of you.
That's what my parents say!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin