Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 09:16 AM

48 posts, read 100,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots View Post
That is not an issue. We had a guy who was the local mortician plow our driveway.
He must have been a truly good person. A mortician could probably make more money at the funeral home by letting people just shovel it themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2011, 02:18 PM

48 posts, read 100,051 times
HOA's scare me. I had a friend in a downtown condo. HOA angered some people, so one of them dropped a grandfather clock down the garbage shoot and caused like 10K in structural damage. HOA covered that and went broke, then charged everybody to get it back, then someone sued them for making everybody pay for the actions of an individual and the HOA billed everbody in the building for it's legal defense fees even though everbody felt the same way as the plaintiffs and didn't want to support the defense. After people complained HOA hired an investigator to find the person and billed everybody for that as well under the guise of finding the person, charging them, and reimbursing everybody,, but too much time had passed and the forensics were all disturbed so it was a waste of money. So someone else sued over that,, and that got charged across the board as well. Theoretically when it's all settled, they will spread the restituion cost around as well and the people who complained will be awarded the money of those who didn't complain,, theoretically entitling them to equally successful lawsuits should they file. Good times.

Old 07-25-2011, 02:23 PM

15,234 posts, read 35,421,260 times
Quote:
HOA's scare me. I had a friend in a downtown condo. HOA angered some people, so one of them dropped a grandfather clock down the garbage shoot and caused like 10K in structural damage. HOA covered that and went broke, then charged everybody to get it back, then someone sued them for making everybody pay for the actions of an individual and the HOA billed everbody in the building for it's legal defense fees even though everbody felt the same way as the plaintiffs and didn't want to support the defense. After people complained HOA hired an investigator to find the person and billed everybody for that as well under the guise of finding the person, charging them, and reimbursing everybody,, but too much time had passed and the forensics were all disturbed so it was a waste of money. So someone else sued over that,, and that got charged across the board as well. Theoretically when it's all settled, they will spread the restituion cost around as well and the people who complained will be awarded the money of those who didn't complain,, theoretically entitling them to equally successful lawsuits should they file. Good times.
Ha! That really has nothing to do with HOAs, that is just us sue-happy Americans .

Old 07-25-2011, 02:31 PM

8,307 posts, read 38,663,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I disagree. The COL has risen in the past decade. I would retire to another county..away from the I-35 corridor as all those cities along there have risen dramatically over the past decade.

There's still good spots in Texas for retirement though with low taxes and low COL and that's where I'll be headed for as Texas is my home.
I think I would actually retire to Colorado rather than Austin or anywhere in Texas. Texas really punishes retirees who want to spend retirement in a nice property with a lot of space in a good area.

Old 07-26-2011, 09:51 AM

861 posts, read 1,142,580 times
I spent 35 years in Minnesota so I'm familiar with snow shoveling. And I also plan on subcontracting that job to anyone that wants to earn some extra cash. I do the same thing now with lawn mowing here in Austin.

Old 08-02-2011, 12:49 PM

438 posts, read 1,111,964 times
MarketWatch has come out with the 10 best places to live (not necessarily to retire) in the U.S. Yes, Austin is number one.
The 10 best places to live in the U.S. - Slide Show - MarketWatch

Old 08-25-2016, 07:37 AM

77 posts, read 102,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llkltk View Post
Wow, you are a major downer. My Great Grandmother lived until 94 and took care of herself fine! Not all older people are bed ridden. Geesh!
What you have stated is something that is going to be seen, more and more. My Mom is 94, lives in her own little cottage, travels to AZ in the winter and, while there, lives in her own tiny resort home. She never smoked or drank, exercises daily, walks nearly everywhere, eats right and only in the last year has had to have a family member live with her. She has been independent since being widowed, the first time for eight years, then married again for 20 years, but was widowed a second time, 5 years ago. Although she had two knee replacements (from aerobic exercising in the 1980's),she's had zero trouble getting up the steps to the second floor until recently, only because it is now occupied. She's sharp and always interested in what is going on. Being healthy was at the top of her list since JFK was president and he promoted a national fitness plan. Friendship with others has been a key motivator for her since we can remember. She always had good friends that she cared about in addition to family. All of the things that she has done and keeps doing, she does because she cares about them. Healthy matters to her. We need to figure out what matters to each of us and incorporate that into our lifestyles.

Having observed her, I don't know why people think that it is the norm to be bedridden at some point. They begin talking like that in their late forties or early fifties, like they have to start planning for it. They voice the need for "one floor living" like they are planning on being old and infirm. It's brainwashing and what social psychologists call "learned helplessness". We are being taught that this is our only future and warned that we better plan for it. For goodness sake, get off of your keister, lose weight, and start living like you want to still be "alive" when you are old. If being old and infirm, matters to you, if that is your only vision of yourself, then go for it. But if being alive and living matters to you, then do it. Start now.

Old 08-26-2016, 10:20 PM

1,091 posts, read 1,067,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImOnFiya View Post
I am reading this article with horror. My parents are retirees and all they do is give hell to anyone within ear shot! Always into other people's business. They're the first to greet you and first to talk behind your back! They don't know how to leave things alone! And do I have mention driving...!

Austin, we're in trouble!!
Lol, reminds me of my retired dad. He'll call the library to ask about something inane, then attempt to talk to the librarian for the next 45 minutes. They'll make the fatal mistake of asking if there's "anything else they can assist him with", then it keeps going and going practically until closing time.

Old 08-27-2016, 09:43 AM

7,987 posts, read 10,324,308 times
[quote=Trainwreck20;20100234]Most of these 'studies' fail to account for property tax and only compare income and sales tax, so ofc Texas ends up looking good. That said, the lower housing cost than some areas does make up for it, and the lack of tax on your retirement earnings does help some, too. My in-laws retired out west of Austin and love it.[/QUO

Despite high property taxes, Texas really does have one of the lowest tax burdens in the US. Austin's is higher than the state average, but still comparatively lower.

What U.S. states have the highest and lowest taxes? - CBS News

Old 08-27-2016, 09:53 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,779,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alikelysuspect View Post
What you have stated is something that is going to be seen, more and more. My Mom is 94, lives in her own little cottage, travels to AZ in the winter and, while there, lives in her own tiny resort home. She never smoked or drank, exercises daily, walks nearly everywhere, eats right and only in the last year has had to have a family member live with her. She has been independent since being widowed, the first time for eight years, then married again for 20 years, but was widowed a second time, 5 years ago. Although she had two knee replacements (from aerobic exercising in the 1980's),she's had zero trouble getting up the steps to the second floor until recently, only because it is now occupied. She's sharp and always interested in what is going on. Being healthy was at the top of her list since JFK was president and he promoted a national fitness plan. Friendship with others has been a key motivator for her since we can remember. She always had good friends that she cared about in addition to family. All of the things that she has done and keeps doing, she does because she cares about them. Healthy matters to her. We need to figure out what matters to each of us and incorporate that into our lifestyles.

Having observed her, I don't know why people think that it is the norm to be bedridden at some point. They begin talking like that in their late forties or early fifties, like they have to start planning for it. They voice the need for "one floor living" like they are planning on being old and infirm. It's brainwashing and what social psychologists call "learned helplessness". We are being taught that this is our only future and warned that we better plan for it. For goodness sake, get off of your keister, lose weight, and start living like you want to still be "alive" when you are old. If being old and infirm, matters to you, if that is your only vision of yourself, then go for it. But if being alive and living matters to you, then do it. Start now.
Thanks for renewing a 5 year old thread!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin