Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 12:43 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,879,750 times

Advertisements

I had heard somewhere a while back, that Arlen was a hybrid of Austin and Garland (huge, generic suburb of Dallas). It was physically similar to Garland (or really any older Dallas suburb with huge amounts of 70's and 80's built tract houses) but geographically closer to Austin / Central Texas.

Having lived in the DFW area awhile, I can tell you those older suburbs really do resemble the KOTH setting... alleys (which I don't see in Austin), flat, older tract housing with modest value. Folks who might fancy a few acres in the country, but happen to live on a tiny lot in a subdivision instead. Driveway culture -- not much else to do in the neighborhood but hang out in the driveway/yard.

And the propane thing... dunno about you, but as I would drive from Dallas to Austin, along I35 just north as you enter Austin... there was a little office building with a sign like "Texas Propane Association" or something... it was on like a little hill on the west side of the highway... for some reason, I always noticed it. Maybe Mike Judge did too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2007, 08:05 AM

1,043 posts, read 3,719,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHarvester View Post
I think it's a good preview of life in Texas. People who hate the characters in KoTH should NOT move to Texas!
Interesting! I had always wondered that.

Well, since I really love the show, then hopefully I should love Texas too!

Old 08-11-2007, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
We don't have Texas accents in Austin, so I don't think it could be Austin.
Interesting! I remember watching the old MTV show "Austin City Limits", and noticed that no one on the show had any kind of southern accent.

Old 08-11-2007, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsengle View Post
I LOVE KoTH! Watch it every night! I have a few quotes that are my favorite:

1. Is there anything that beer can't do?
2. Ah, Ronald Reagan. God I miss voting for that man!
3. I sell propane and propane accessories. (I think of that every time I pass the Texas Propane Gas Association heading south on I-35!)
4. Why would anyone do drugs when they can just mow their lawn?
LOL!

It's too early in the morning here for me to remember any exact quotes, but the one thing that always makes me laugh is how Hank introduces himself to others:

"Hank Hill, Strickland Propane".

Old 08-11-2007, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OntheMoveAGAIN View Post
"We don't go down Aisle 8G Connie"
Oh, I remember that quote, but please refresh my memory as to what episode that was from!

Old 08-11-2007, 10:29 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,769,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITChick View Post
I remember watching the old MTV show "Austin City Limits", and noticed that no one on the show had any kind of southern accent.
ACL is a PBS show, but MTV did a Real World series in Austin, plus a show called "Austin Stories" which was pretty bad. They also held their first annual extreme sporting event here, I don't recall what it was named though. They built a gigantic ski slope in Zilker Park in Austin, it was so weird! Complete with fake snow. It was a fun event, they had a lot of good music.

As for accents and other stereotypes, there are definitely pervasive accents in small towns and rural areas and more among "blue collar" workers. The accent varies from east to west and north to south, it's a huge state with a lot of subcultures.

One of the lame stereotypes about Texas is the cowboy thing. When CNBC did a live broadcast from downtown Austin a few years ago, the anchor (Jim Kramer? Can't recall who it was) was embarrassed because the CNBC honks made him wear cowboy boots and a cowboy hat. He was the only person in central Austin dressed like that. We don't herd cattle in the cities here, and most cowboys wear baseball-style caps anyway. But there is the occasional guy in new tight-fitting Wrangler jeans, a well-worn cowboy hat, custom boots, walking bow-legged... they're fun characters to see and you always know they're visiting from one of the small towns cuz nobody in Austin dresses like that.

Old 08-11-2007, 12:31 PM

216 posts, read 996,259 times
Post Aisle 8G

Quote:
Oh, I remember that quote, but please refresh my memory as to what episode that was from!
Hank was left minding Connie on his own one day and she started menstruating and he had to take her down aisle 8 G to get products for her. Apparently he had never gone down as far as Aisle 8G ever before in his life and he was frightened

Old 08-11-2007, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHarvester View Post
ACL is a PBS show, but MTV did a Real World series in Austin, plus a show called "Austin Stories" which was pretty bad.
My Bad! It's been a while since I've seen the show, but you're right, it was "Austin Stories". Why I got it confused with ACL, well I'll blame it on lack of sleep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHarvester
One of the lame stereotypes about Texas is the cowboy thing. When CNBC did a live broadcast from downtown Austin a few years ago, the anchor (Jim Kramer? Can't recall who it was) was embarrassed because the CNBC honks made him wear cowboy boots and a cowboy hat. He was the only person in central Austin dressed like that. We don't herd cattle in the cities here, and most cowboys wear baseball-style caps anyway. But there is the occasional guy in new tight-fitting Wrangler jeans, a well-worn cowboy hat, custom boots, walking bow-legged... they're fun characters to see and you always know they're visiting from one of the small towns cuz nobody in Austin dresses like that.
I had always thought that because on my previous trips to Dallas/Ft. Worth and Houston, I've never met or seen anyone with the hat or boots in any city place I visited. Media honchos can be so stupid sometimes with their clueless stereotypes.

Old 08-11-2007, 04:04 PM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,372,237 times
Quote:
I had always thought that because on my previous trips to Dallas/Ft. Worth and Houston, I've never met or seen anyone with the hat or boots in any city place I visited. Media honchos can be so stupid sometimes with their clueless stereotypes.

I disagree...Every time I visit Fort Worth...I feel like I stepped into a western movie scene. There are men wearing wranglers, boots and hats. There are many men riding their horses right down the main drag near the stockyards. It is a real cowboy town.

Old 08-11-2007, 05:33 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,695,313 times
Yeah, fort worth is more cowtown. Houston, you won't see anyone dressed like that either, unless they are at a western themed event or out dancing. I love the variety of accents you can find in Texas. The northern Gulf coast, Southern Gulf coast, Valley, West Texas, Central Texas, North Texas/Dallas area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin